ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Seafoam

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-09, 08:59 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts
Question Seafoam

Just bought a can of seafoam, if put half a can in right before i fill up the tank directly into the gas tank, and half directly into where i put the engine oil, this will be good enough, then after i think i need to get an oil change, i rather not have to disconnect any hoses, So im basically asking will putting it into the gas tank and into where you put engine oil work? Thanks
Old 08-15-09, 10:07 PM
cyco
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes, but it is kinda like doing only half of the work! but adding seafoam to only the oil and gasoline should give you some sort of benefit..
Old 08-16-09, 09:07 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

So if i put it in my tank, i dont need to do anyhting? I dont really want to change the pugs since i did just last week, and if i do it directly into the oil just change the oil maybe 25 miles afterwards? If i put it into the gas, will it smoke?
Old 08-16-09, 09:31 AM
BK4293
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CHI2BFLO
So if i put it in my tank, i dont need to do anyhting? I dont really want to change the pugs since i did just last week, and if i do it directly into the oil just change the oil maybe 25 miles afterwards? If i put it into the gas, will it smoke?
No you should be good to go. The plugs and smoking will be culprits if you use it in your intake manifold (the whole disconnecting the hose routine).

I would recommend using the Seafoam in the intake manifold though even though you sound pretty well against it. Though you might get minimal gains in fuel economy, Cleaning the intake will probably get you the best bang for your buck.
Old 08-16-09, 09:43 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

^^^Ya im pretty much set against doing anything like that, i mean the car runs great as it is so i dont feel the need to take a chance, if i can make minimal changes with something that definitely wont mess nothing up, i feel thats good enough. I guess that a lot of people like myself are very sketchy gainst putting anything extra into their motors. Especially with the sludge issues our motors had, i just dont want chunks inside the motor to mess it up. But if i put it into the oil, an oil change is definitely needed?
Old 08-16-09, 09:43 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

By the way, thank you very much for all the help, i feel stupid asking but i guess better safe then sorry
Old 08-16-09, 05:40 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

But if i put it into the oil, an oil change is definitely needed?
Duh. Its like a paint thinner, imagine what it will do to the oil.
Old 08-16-09, 06:17 PM
Jewel707
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
Not everyone knows these things. Thats why we come on here and ask.

BTW if i were to do it through the intake manifold, i would have to change my plugs right no matter what? I knew i should of had them changed...
Old 08-16-09, 06:41 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

God forgive me for asking a question about something that i have no idea about, next time you ask a question about something you know nothing about, ill make sure to respond with a answer with as much charisma as yours
Old 08-17-09, 09:49 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

God forgive me for asking a question about something that i have no idea about, next time you ask a question about something you know nothing about, ill make sure to respond with a answer with as much charisma as yours
Please do.

Btw, with 2210 posts on the interwebs i would assume you know how to do this.

But i was mistaken. Since you are being such a douche, how about you do a search next time? It was mentioned in the previous threads on seafoaming in this very forum.
Old 08-17-09, 03:35 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

i'm being a douche?, i'm not the one who answered like one first, i ask a logical question with answers to specific questions i've asked, and the response i gave you earlier was just one that was calm and relaxed......

On a side note, added it to gas, and oil, just got an oil change... due to advice of 01LEXPL and if there is a difference its probably just the placebo affect

Last edited by RXGS; 08-18-09 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-18-09, 11:05 AM
97'ES
Driver

Please do.

Btw, with 2210 posts on the interwebs i would assume you know how to do this.

But i was mistaken. Since you are being such a douche, how about you do a search next time? It was mentioned in the previous threads on seafoaming in this very forum.
Its true though, putting it in the top end isn't what you need to worry about if it's done correctly, and it will help if the car has some mileage on it. Putting it in the crankcase however, I wouldn't ever dream of it. I was just sketchy about trying it out in the oil of this 89' New Yorker I mess around with for fun and it's worth like 500$ lol. I do have to commend you on the mike grier comments lol, Im so glad hes gonna be back in a sabres uniform.
Old 08-18-09, 03:13 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

^Same haha, i'm so glad. I go to every sabres games and have always had season tickets and while he was never the greatest player in the world, he definitely added a certain something to the games. Are you in the Buffalo area?

On a completely unrelated note, the gas mileage has gone up slightly i think, idles lower for sure, which i think is good. If i told you it idled smoother, it could just be me so i'm not going to say whether or not it does
Old 08-18-09, 06:13 PM
BK4293
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Are you originally from Chicago, and if so, what part????
Old 08-18-09, 08:11 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

^ Born at St Joes, lived on Barry street for about 4 years, i moved when i was young to Buffalo but i still love the city so much, i would rock the stroller at the zoo like it was nobody elses' business, haha. I go back regularly though and while im not chinese, i love Red phoenix, i think it called, great food, quick service and very clean. Sidenote, you still got lot of people rocking the legends and q45's there haha

Quick Reply: Seafoam