ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

1992 Lexus Es300 Side Marker Lense Clear

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-02, 09:20 AM
Ferdi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Clear lenses

Hi Guys

Thanx for the instructions on how to clear the corners of the es300. I followed your instructions and did mine this week-end. It looks great and the instructions are well worth following. I read a thread asking why the temp has to be 200deg. Well, I tried going over that and noticed the plastic shell starting to take strain. The point....rather take your time and do a good job.

Regards

Ferdi Kruger
South Africa

PS. The ES300 is not marketed in South Africa so I am greatfull for any help...Thanx again
Old 04-28-02, 02:02 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I just did my corners yesterday too, I like them and pretty easy if you take your time. The only thing is that the contrast between the orange turn signal and yellow fog lights is now more apparent IMO. I think L-Sport had a picture in the gallery with yellow turn signals, maybe he can give us a little more info if he sees this post. I might just try to clear the fog lights too, I'll have to think about it.

I think my rear turn signals might be next, we'll see if I get around to it soon. For those that have done it, are the bulbs in the rear turn signal orange or clear?

Ferdi, welcome to the board. There doesn't seem to be much info out there on mods for ES300's other than here on CL. Not that many people do them up in the US either, which is kinda nice since it's not like a Civic or Eclipse or something, where you see them all over the place.
Old 04-29-02, 04:22 AM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lights

The lights in our cars are all clear bulbs. In the tail lights also. One reason not to go above 200 degrees is that we have a leveling bubble in our headlight assembly, and by going over 212, if that is water in the level, you can boil the water... I wouldn't recommend doing it. After I cleared my corners, I just went to Xenon bulbs. I have Xenon regular headlights, high beams, and turn signals. I like them a lot.
Old 04-29-02, 06:55 AM
Ferdi
Driver School Candidate

Default Clear corners

Hi EGainer

I had a look at your lexus pic. It looks great. Thanx for the info, what you are saying makes sense regarding the 200deg. You mentioned that you had your bulbs etc changed...Is that why your corners look so clear? Mine looks great but there is still a reflection from the bulb.

Regards

Ferdi Kruger

PS Thanx for the positive comment on my car phone. The car was originally imported for the president of one of our neighbouring countries. The problem is that I am unable to find anyone in this country that knows anything about OKI phones and the OKI web site has no info. If you have any ideas...
Old 04-29-02, 09:47 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Is it legal to have clear bulbs and no orange lens in the rear? It would seem that this may be a little unsafe since it could confuse other driver's. I don't really care to take a greater chance on getting rear-ended.
Old 04-29-02, 06:36 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Default Bulbs

With having the clear bulbs in the rear, and have no orange is illegal. Some cops will make you change it, others wont. My front signals are illegal because you are required to have some type of orange in bothe the front and back, whether it be orange lenses or bulbs. Thanks for the compliments on the lights.
Old 04-30-02, 09:42 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

I might just leave the rears, I don't need to give the cops a reason to pull me over, and I'm sure it'd happen before long.

I washed my car yesterday and I'm getting condensation in one of the headlights. I guess I'll have to pull it out and redo it. I ran some glue stuff around the edges to make sure they were sealed well, but I must've missed a spot on that one.

I'm finally starting work on my car, did the corners and my wheels came in yesterday. I'm still waiting on springs and struts; but I started polishing the car yesterday. If you guys don't have Zaino, get some now. (www.zainobros.com) I've just barely started (clayed and 2 coats of Z5 and Z6) and it already looks great and will keep getting better.
Old 05-01-02, 03:48 PM
Ferdi
Driver School Candidate

Hi Kyle

That link to zainobros site was quite impressive. If you can post a pic or two of you vehicle.

I hope you get your lenses sorted

Regards

Ferdi Kruger
Old 05-02-02, 04:10 AM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

yeah, One of my gets condensation if it rains for a long time. But when I just wash my car it is ok. I need to re-seal it though. just put some cauking around the outside or something. that should do it. if you have clear corners and no orange bulbs in the parking lamps/turn signals... you can still be pulled over for that, so it's not just the back. And chances are all they will say to you is to put orange in them. So then you go to autozone and buy an orange bulb 1150 and it will make the signals orange again. do the same for any red parts you remove. as long as you have some color, it's ok.