ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-02, 08:23 PM
r4z0r3ck
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Mileage

I was wondering how many miles does it take for your car to eat up one bar of gas on the gas gauge. I want to figure out my MPG but I rarely fill up the tank to full or drive it to empty. So i really want to know how many miles does it take to consume a bar on the gauge. And how much is a bar on the gauge. It seems like its half a gallon.
Old 04-18-02, 12:39 AM
ESES
Driver

Default Re: Gas Mileage

Originally posted by r4z0r3ck
I was wondering how many miles does it take for your car to eat up one bar of gas on the gas gauge. I want to figure out my MPG but I rarely fill up the tank to full or drive it to empty. So i really want to know how many miles does it take to consume a bar on the gauge. And how much is a bar on the gauge. It seems like its half a gallon.
Well i always fill to the top of my gas tank... and always run it till the last drop of gas is used... As for how much miles 1 bar of gas eats up, i don't know... but for 1 tank of gas i have gotten consistant 450+KMs on 1 tank of gas with the use of winter tires... i'll be switching back to summer tires soon...
(1998 ES300)
Old 04-18-02, 04:20 AM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Gas Mileage

Ok, on the gas mileage. Our ES300s have electronic gas gauges. If you notice, that when you floor it, your fuel gauge seems to drop significantly, but when you go slow again, it goes up some. So, depending on how you drive would be how much gas is spent in one bar. I can make my orange light go on and off when I am drving with close to 3 gallons left. And my gas mileage is usually about 18 miles to the gallon. But I drive aggressively and use the power button a lot. And it also seems to me that the gauge runs slower until you have less than half a tank, then it seems to move quicker and I run out sooner than I had thought I was going to. If anyone thinks of some way to do this, let me know too. Later
Old 04-18-02, 12:46 PM
aerodyne
Driver School Candidate

I get 18 mpg on our '02 ES300. This is average, with the wife driving gently, lots of stop and go with short trips.

I have seen 38 MPG at at steady 50 mpg on a straight flat road according to the computer.
Old 04-18-02, 06:15 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Default Gas

if our fuel pump is in the gas tank... we shouldn't be running it down really low, because the gas keeps the pump from overheating. in my dad's ls, i can get the computer to read about 60-70mpg if I am barely touching the accelerator. 99 if i am just coasting downhill. but the average is the one we need to look at not the current.
Old 04-19-02, 09:20 AM
palinorus
Driver School Candidate

To calculate:

Fill up the tank and reset distance counter
On your 2nd fill up, write down the number of gallons you filled up and note the miles driven

Then calculate - miles divided number of gallons = MPG

Note: You do not need to empty your tank

Last edited by palinorus; 04-19-02 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-19-02, 01:18 PM
j2tha0e
Pole Position

dang EGainer, you must drive hella agressive. i drive kinda hard and i still got at least 23mpg. on a good driving tank, i'll get up to 26mpg. i think you should get your car checked. 18mpg?! i'd get frustrated.
you guys used those packages in part stores that is guaranteed to give you 10% increase in gas mileage? i forgot what it was, but there was something you put in your oil, tranny, and gas system.
there was also that Tornado. anyone use it? i want more hp, and thats soppose to help with that.
as with the speaker install, when you pop off the headboard, DON'T LOOSE THE PINS! haha. sometimes when i drive with the window open, the board pops off.
if you're gonna replace your speakers, use some dynamat, prevents the rear deck from rattling.
Old 04-19-02, 01:18 PM
j2tha0e
Pole Position

dang EGainer, you must drive hella agressive. i drive kinda hard and i still got at least 23mpg. on a good driving tank, i'll get up to 26mpg. i think you should get your car checked. 18mpg?! i'd get frustrated.
you guys used those packages in part stores that is guaranteed to give you 10% increase in gas mileage? i forgot what it was, but there was something you put in your oil, tranny, and gas system.
there was also that Tornado. anyone use it? i want more hp, and thats soppose to help with that.
Old 04-19-02, 04:58 PM
pongydoo
Driver

I usually fill up the gas tank and reset the counter and after driving on the freeway for 1/2 or one hours fill it up again and divide the mile with the gallon from your reciept and you will see how much your gas milage is. For example, you have been driving 60 miles from the full gas tank, and then after you get off the freeway fill it up to full again and say you fill it up 3 gallon so take 60 divide by 3 so you get 20mpg on the freeway and try the same thing on the city and see what you get.
Old 04-19-02, 05:23 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey EGainer i know exactly what u talking about. I'd be driving a whole day and a half after i fill up the tank and my needle would move down at a steady pace. but after it hits the halfway mark, the thing is erratic. moves up, moves back down some, moves really high when i'm on an incline, etc.
Old 04-19-02, 08:32 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Default Tornado

Do not buy the tornado. I am still in high school, but we talked about this in my physics class. ok, the tornado is supposed to make the air spin so that it mixes better with the fuel... well it does mix better, but objects take energy to move, so some of the energy that the air should be using to get into your engine, it is using to twist. your air will be spinning, but going slower into your engine... Someone in my class said, "what if you had the air spinning but had a fan to push more air in fast?" my teacher answered "that is what a turbocharger does, gets more air in faster. so do not buy the tornado, it may sound good on the commercial, but in fact, the physics of it are not good at all
Old 04-24-02, 10:32 PM
Ferdi
Driver School Candidate

Default Fuel

I have also noted the rapid drop of the needle once you reach halfway. A friend of mine who has a Z3 has the same problem and he ascribed it to the fact that most fuel tanks are tapered or cone shaped in the bottom half of the tank. This means that you guage never actually gives a true indication of how much fuel has been used or is still available.

Regards

ferdi