ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Factory amp wiring HELP...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-09 | 09:21 AM
hazed06
Driver School Candidate

Default Factory amp wiring HELP...

I have a 1998 ES300 Premium sound system

Iv been working on installing a 4-channel Kicker amp, in place of the factory amp.(i wont to run it thu RCA's)(i have a scosche FAI-3A converter)

I have found all the information on how to bypass the OEM amp when installing a new headunit.(i know what wires go to what speakers from OEM amp)

But my problem is i wont to keep the factory headunit and cant find a wiring diagram that labels the input wires going into the OEM amp (the wires from headunit to amp)..

iv cut each wire trying to figure this out and when i thought i had it NOTHING, a wire diagram would be great.

ANY HELP WORK MAKE MY WEEK!!!!!!!
Old 09-21-09 | 10:34 AM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hazed06
I have a 1998 ES300 Premium sound system

Iv been working on installing a 4-channel Kicker amp, in place of the factory amp.(i wont to run it thu RCA's)(i have a scosche FAI-3A converter)

I have found all the information on how to bypass the OEM amp when installing a new headunit.(i know what wires go to what speakers from OEM amp)

But my problem is i wont to keep the factory headunit and cant find a wiring diagram that labels the input wires going into the OEM amp (the wires from headunit to amp)..

iv cut each wire trying to figure this out and when i thought i had it NOTHING, a wire diagram would be great.

ANY HELP WORK MAKE MY WEEK!!!!!!!
do you have the pioneer system or did this model come with the nakimichi system? I had to figure out this problem on my pioneer system and it was a pita. this took me hours on end to figure out. you need the wiring schematic for the car that traces out from the battery to the oem amp to the head unit. IMO, you should just remove the stock amp and rewire everything. Just in case if the stock amp should give out (happended to me twice), you won't have to worry about replacing it. I'm at school right now so I don't have the diagram. I'll try and post it up when I get back home.
Old 09-21-09 | 11:16 AM
hazed06
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PlatES300
do you have the pioneer system or did this model come with the nakimichi system? I had to figure out this problem on my pioneer system and it was a pita. this took me hours on end to figure out. you need the wiring schematic for the car that traces out from the battery to the oem amp to the head unit. IMO, you should just remove the stock amp and rewire everything. Just in case if the stock amp should give out (happended to me twice), you won't have to worry about replacing it. I'm at school right now so I don't have the diagram. I'll try and post it up when I get back home.

idk if it pioneer or nakimichi... but i dont see pioneer wrote anywere on the speakers or anything so i would guess nakimichi..

but im not trying to necessarily replace the OEM amp (i just dont wont 2 use it) i wont 2 tap into the wires b4 they go into the OEM amp.

the wires i need are just the Pos. & Neg. speaker wires coming from the HU.

i did alot of cutting and reconnecting of wires(wires coming from HU) and what it looks like to me is there are 4 speaker wires and one ground wire that controls all 4speakers... but there is eight speaker output wires coming out the amp going to speakers.

im lost.
Old 09-21-09 | 12:17 PM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Correct me if I'm wrong, I was told if you completely by pass your OEM amp then the HU wont turn on. I have read that if your going to install an aftermarket amp you need to use the output speaker wires and convert them into low level RCAs, then to the amp then to the speakers. I have read that if your going to completely bypass the factory amp, is when your installing an aftermarket HU.
Old 09-21-09 | 02:05 PM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by angmedic91
Correct me if I'm wrong, I was told if you completely by pass your OEM amp then the HU wont turn on. I have read that if your going to install an aftermarket amp you need to use the output speaker wires and convert them into low level RCAs, then to the amp then to the speakers. I have read that if your going to completely bypass the factory amp, is when your installing an aftermarket HU.
correct. your headunit (stock or aftermarket) will not turn on if you completely remove the stock amp. you have to re-wire the power wire directly to the headunit and you have to ground the head unit as well. the main power from the battery runs to the stock amp. Inside the stock amp, there is a relay that sends out power to the headunit.
Old 09-21-09 | 08:22 PM
hazed06
Driver School Candidate

i dont wont to remove the OEM amp.. i just wont to cut into the speaker wires b4 the amp. ill leave the harness pluged into the OEM amp 4 the power and acc. but just tap into the speaker wires.?

am in the wrong mind frame?

If so how can i run a aftermarket 4-channel amp off the OEM amp output speaker wires? (i have a scosche FAI-3A converter)