ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

removing air filter box for cone fiter 2000 es300

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-09 | 02:02 PM
Nunyabiz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
^^

I am simply restating what i personally expereinced [had one on a 2003 JEtta] and it was garbage.

They may be cheap for you since you are in the US, the above {USD** was a mistake, i meant to put on CAD. Even on eBay for ME it is about 80$ USD when it is all said and done at my door. Same with the cleaning kit it is ~22$ at my local parts store.

I had the filter on the dub, and it was junk. I put it in and it got dirty fast. I went to clean it/etc, the cleaner doesn't even work, the oil did not even bead as it was supposed, it ALL ended up at the bottom of the airbox.

Again i am basing my personal point off a panel filter, perhaps the cones are better to clean, etc.

Furthermore i have talked with many automotive pros, that know their stuff and they tend to say the same, that it is useless in an OEM application and holds no benefit over a K&N, thus it is better to use a OEM filter or one of the dry ones.

Sorry man, because it worked for you, great, i am really happy for you.

What is it to you anyways? Why do you value my criticsm so much? Are you are rep for K&N ? LOL

Didn't notice you were from Canada so you are correct but then again I would guess everything not made IN Canada will be the same if you have to get it here in the states whether its K&N or not. So the "dry filter" I was talking about is still going to cost you at least as much as a K&N.

Sorry you had such bad luck with K&N, I have used them for about 30 years and have never had a single problem.

Its nothing to me, I merely stated an opinion and you jumped down my throat, I don't value your criticism in the slightest.
Old 09-28-09 | 06:11 PM
05ES330
Pole Position
CL Folding 25,000

VVTI motors = 2000-2001, so it won't work for him.
what does vvti have anything to do with dual throttle bodies?
Old 09-28-09 | 07:39 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 05ES330
what does vvti have anything to do with dual throttle bodies?
Ummm. those are the only years they offered that motor in this bodystyle.

So 00-01 have the dual throttle body & VVTI motor.

97-99 did not have VVTI, thus it came with only the one throttle body on the engine.

That is what VVTI has to do with it.
Old 09-30-09 | 07:54 AM
05ES330
Pole Position
CL Folding 25,000

Ummm. those are the only years they offered that motor in this bodystyle.

So 00-01 have the dual throttle body & VVTI motor.

97-99 did not have VVTI, thus it came with only the one throttle body on the engine.

That is what VVTI has to do with it.
Can't get an intake on the car man... Without some serious modification, and at that point still you have no guarantee it will work without issues.

Welcome to VVTI equipped motors.
VVTI motors = 2000-2001
your information is misleading. not every single vvti motors are dual throttle bodies, nor are all vvti equipped motors hard to modify. this might apply to the ES, but don't bash on VVT-i
Old 09-30-09 | 08:58 PM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sagarx
my car has twin throttle bodies.. so does any one have any ideas to get some growl out of the car. also any ideas on how to get any more horse power out of it. do they make a mod for the ecm? anything for more power??
Like everyone have been stating, its hard to gain extra power from our type of engine, not a lot of after market parts made for our engines. I have myself added an intake system and changed my exhaust from the cat back. I also have found a place online that sells after market chrome headers for the 3rd Gen ES and Camry. I live in Cali, so I dont know if these headers are CARB legal in Cali. Im trying to get more info and if they are CARB legal, then I'm going to get them for my 98 ES 300, this should help get some more horse power along with the intake and exhaust. Here is link for the Lexus headers http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=obx...282&Make=Lexus
Old 09-30-09 | 09:45 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 05ES330
your information is misleading. not every single vvti motors are dual throttle bodies, nor are all vvti equipped motors hard to modify. this might apply to the ES, but don't bash on VVT-i
Where did i bash or knock VVTI ? I think its great. VVTI is the reason as to why the ES300 is a great highway hauler and yields nearly 400 miles to a tank for me [with A/C & city driving].

Second, last time i checked this is the ES300-330 forum...

Seriously? Way to get your panties up in a bunch.

I am talking 3ES, as per the OP and his car [which mine happens to be as well] and you pull out 'VVTI motors are all different, so don't generalize'. well no **** they are all different.

Way to over complicate my simple reply.
Old 10-20-09 | 09:37 AM
sagarx
Rookie

well i have started my mods on my 2000 es. i purchased a weapon r secret weapon intake. next will either be lowering springs, or a custom exhaust either with custom obx header back to a magnaflow,or without the header. i just don't want it to sound like a fart can. it is my worse fear to spend that money & have it be to loud. i have read the thread about the exhaust & will move to that thread. any ideas on a muffler which a es owner knows won't be a teenager fart can.
Old 10-22-09 | 06:04 PM
oteck
Driver School Candidate

hmmm anyone willing to sell their weapon R adapter? Im trying to build a ypipe for my setup but the lack of flange is holding me back

Last edited by oteck; 10-22-09 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-22-09 | 07:31 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

^^ Have anymore pics of that MR2 ?
Old 10-22-09 | 09:05 PM
oteck
Driver School Candidate

it's not an mr2! just a backward car

Old 10-22-09 | 09:17 PM
swifty562
Lead Lap

ahh.. the infamous swap on the MR2. nice.... nothing like a V6 on on a mid engine mr2! =)
Old 10-23-09 | 05:55 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by oteck
it's not an mr2! just a backward car
Looks clean man!

Btw, do you have a build thread somewhere? I tried finding links via the img tags but nothing came up? I love build threads ...
Old 10-27-09 | 05:12 PM
sagarx
Rookie

Default intake

put the weapon r secret weapon intake on my 2000 es. i know some of you said that i was not worth it, i would lose hrsp. well i installed it reset the ecu & to my surprise got a nice kick in my pants when i punched it! an absolute gain in hrsp! the sound! yeah! sounds so good in the cabin when she is at 3500-4000 rpm on through. so sweet! will take pics tomorrow when it's day light. i could only imagine with the obx header, custom piping on back with high flow cats & muffler. the reset of the ecu def. changed the shifting points to a higher rpm,& allot smoother as well.
Old 10-29-09 | 05:47 PM
oteck
Driver School Candidate

i was kinda hopping this pipe replaces the ypipe. alot of money for a filter and a short pipe
Old 10-30-09 | 09:19 AM
sagarx
Rookie

what adapter are you loooking for i had some parts left over after install. most & well i hope all were for hooking up the ram air kit.
replaced what y pipe? the one from the res. box back? that would have been nice but i don't think they make anything to bypass the dual throttle bodies.

Quick Reply: removing air filter box for cone fiter 2000 es300