ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

removing air filter box for cone fiter 2000 es300

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-09, 03:26 PM
sagarx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing air filter box for cone fiter 2000 es300

hey,
i am new to the group,everyone calls me saga. i recently got a 2000 es300 with 68k on her. my mom works @ a lexus dealer & took this car in on trade. i have all the service records. the previous & only owner brought the car in for every scheduled maintenance. the car was garage kept & everything including the paint is near mint.
so i would like to do some performance mods. i figured i would start by taking out the air filter box & add a injen cone. when looking @ filter box it seems to have a sensor attached to it. so if i removed the box what do i do with the sensor. i think it is a mass air sensor,not sure though. any help would be great. any other suggestions in getting some more hrsp. out of her would be greatly appreciated.
thank you, saga
Old 09-25-09, 10:54 PM
zajac
Driver

Welcome. It is a mass air flow sensor, you will need an adapter to make it work. Just as an FYI though, you will lose horsepower, not gain. For this reason, there is an intake sitting in a box in my garage.
Old 09-25-09, 11:38 PM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by zajac
Welcome. It is a mass air flow sensor, you will need an adapter to make it work. Just as an FYI though, you will lose horsepower, not gain. For this reason, there is an intake sitting in a box in my garage.
I could not have said it better, on a stock engine, these things are the a total waste of money. Unfortunately there are not a whole lot of performance parts for these cars.
Old 09-26-09, 11:15 AM
Pyroibw
Pole Position

get a cheap intake off ebay if you really want one, but again, its just for look/sound, not gona gain anything.
Old 09-26-09, 08:31 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Can't get an intake on the car man... Without some serious modification, and at that point still you have no guarantee it will work without issues.

Welcome to VVTI equipped motors.

Originally Posted by Pyroibw
get a cheap intake off ebay if you really want one, but again, its just for look/sound, not gona gain anything.
Nah man. This guy is in the same boat as me...

See pics below just took them, the MAF is PART of the airbox...

I wanted an intake to get it to sound nicer at higher RPM's and to pretty much have a reusable filter... But have been using the regular ones for now.

Old 09-27-09, 05:08 AM
sagarx
Rookie

Default weapon-r

weapon-r makes one. for the es. it has a place for the mass flow sensor to reconnect.
just a little more throaty sound would be cool,even if the car can't get out of it's way getting onto the highway.
anyone have any ideas besides getting a different car, to add some hrsp.?
Old 09-27-09, 06:45 AM
05ES330
Pole Position

Does your car have dual throttle bodies like the picture above? or does your engine look like this https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...e-finally.html
I have that intake for sale, the MAF flow sensor is different on my car, its a lot smaller than the cut out on the intake, it was for a different year ES
Old 09-27-09, 07:19 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 05ES330
Does your car have dual throttle bodies like the picture above? or does your engine look like this https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...e-finally.html
I have that intake for sale, the MAF flow sensor is different on my car, its a lot smaller than the cut out on the intake, it was for a different year ES
VVTI motors = 2000-2001, so it won't work for him.
Old 09-28-09, 04:49 AM
Nunyabiz
Driver School Candidate

"I wanted an intake to get it to sound nicer at higher RPM's and to pretty much have a reusable filter... But have been using the regular ones for now."
Just get the K&N that fits your airbox, its what I have and it works fine.
Old 09-28-09, 08:30 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Nunyabiz
Just get the K&N that fits your airbox, its what I have and it works fine.
Nope. Not gonna happen. Why?

Contrary to popular belief, they give no gains, get clogged up much faster, and a a ***** to maintain.

I was told that the dry filters are best, and at a few bucks/filter i am willing to pay, vs. 80$ USD for an overglorified K&N, and on top of that another 20$ for the cleaner.

I am going to 'mod the box' with an intake going into the box for more air to rush in.
The following users liked this post:
djr48312 (08-06-23)
Old 09-28-09, 08:41 AM
Boostless
Driver School Candidate

Weapon-R does make a kit for the 2000-2001 Es300 with "twin throttle". I completely agree with everyone above that its a waste of money. I felt absolutely NO power gain on my ES and because of the fact that the car has a twin throttle, it barely makes any "intake growl" that most people desire. If you have your heart set on changing the stock setup, just go with whatever is cheapest. Below is a pic of the Weapon-R kit on my 01 Es300. Hope this helps.

Old 09-28-09, 09:07 AM
Nunyabiz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
Nope. Not gonna happen. Why?

Contrary to popular belief, they give no gains, get clogged up much faster, and a a ***** to maintain.

I was told that the dry filters are best, and at a few bucks/filter i am willing to pay, vs. 80$ USD for an overglorified K&N, and on top of that another 20$ for the cleaner.

I am going to 'mod the box' with an intake going into the box for more air to rush in.

To each his own but just for the record the K&N I purchased cost me $32 on sale 4 years ago.
I think now they are around $40 not $80.

The "Dry Filters" I think you must be referring to are the "AFE Pro Dry Filters" which cost the same as a K&N around $40 or so not a "few dollars", they are a good filter also but not really any better than a K&N.
I used to use 2 K&Ns on my old Baja Bug back in the 80s.
The Bug was basically just a sand rail with a few pieces of VW body & pan on it and the engine was completely exposed.
I would go to the desert and sand dunes, go into deep mud holes you name it, the K&N would be almost unrecognizable it would be so covered but when I would take them off the throat of the carbs were clean as a whistle and the K&N even caked with dirt was breathing nicely.

Getting dirty faster means they trap dust better.
They give just much of a gain as any other quality air filter and I just cleaned & re-oiled mine last week, took me all of 10 minutes tops. No problem to maintain at all.

You can buy the K&N filter charger kits for under $10 several places online and also at Pep Boys for under $10 which will last you about 7-10 years.
I bought mine at Pep boys for $8.99 4 years ago and still have 1/2 of it left.
You don't have to clean a K&N until it gets real dirty.

So get what ever floats your boat but no need to spread false BS about K&N in the process.

Iam sure the Dry Filters will work just fine.
Old 09-28-09, 09:59 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

^^

I am simply restating what i personally expereinced [had one on a 2003 JEtta] and it was garbage.

They may be cheap for you since you are in the US, the above {USD** was a mistake, i meant to put on CAD. Even on eBay for ME it is about 80$ USD when it is all said and done at my door. Same with the cleaning kit it is ~22$ at my local parts store.

I had the filter on the dub, and it was junk. I put it in and it got dirty fast. I went to clean it/etc, the cleaner doesn't even work, the oil did not even bead as it was supposed, it ALL ended up at the bottom of the airbox.

Again i am basing my personal point off a panel filter, perhaps the cones are better to clean, etc.

Furthermore i have talked with many automotive pros, that know their stuff and they tend to say the same, that it is useless in an OEM application and holds no benefit over a K&N, thus it is better to use a OEM filter or one of the dry ones.

Sorry man, because it worked for you, great, i am really happy for you.

What is it to you anyways? Why do you value my criticsm so much? Are you are rep for K&N ? LOL
Old 09-28-09, 01:09 PM
sagarx
Rookie

Default ..

my car has twin throttle bodies.. so does any one have any ideas to get some growl out of the car. also any ideas on how to get any more horse power out of it. do they make a mod for the ecm? anything for more power??
Old 09-28-09, 01:12 PM
sagarx
Rookie

Default ..

here is the box & twins
Attached Thumbnails removing air filter box for cone fiter 2000 es300-dcp_0849.jpg   removing air filter box for cone fiter 2000 es300-dcp_0850.jpg  

Quick Reply: removing air filter box for cone fiter 2000 es300