ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Grinding/Buzzing noise when trying to crank under 50deg F.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-09, 05:53 AM
immax01
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding/Buzzing noise when trying to crank under 50deg F.

I have done quite a bit of research so far on this one but i cant find a solution. My '95 ES300 makes a grinding/loud buzzing noise from the engine area when i first try to crank it in the morning when its under 50F. When i turn the key to on, i have full power to electronics, no hesitation at all, then i try to crank it makes a very loud buzzing noise. It does not happen at all when its over 50-60 degrees.

After it grinds for about 5 seconds it cranks and fires. Then runs fine. No check engine light. Unless the car is dead cold, it will not happen again. I cant figure out if its the battery.. the starter, or something else? I had this problem last winter, and now its getting cold again (im in NJ) and im getting the problem again. Any ideas, or anything i can do to diagnose this? I brought it to a mechanic and he said he has to hear it, the problem it, he would have to have the car there overnight, because it will only do it once, in the morning. Any help is appreciated!!
Old 10-12-09, 11:52 AM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by immax01
I have done quite a bit of research so far on this one but i cant find a solution. My '95 ES300 makes a grinding/loud buzzing noise from the engine area when i first try to crank it in the morning when its under 50F. When i turn the key to on, i have full power to electronics, no hesitation at all, then i try to crank it makes a very loud buzzing noise. It does not happen at all when its over 50-60 degrees.

After it grinds for about 5 seconds it cranks and fires. Then runs fine. No check engine light. Unless the car is dead cold, it will not happen again. I cant figure out if its the battery.. the starter, or something else? I had this problem last winter, and now its getting cold again (im in NJ) and im getting the problem again. Any ideas, or anything i can do to diagnose this? I brought it to a mechanic and he said he has to hear it, the problem it, he would have to have the car there overnight, because it will only do it once, in the morning. Any help is appreciated!!
I had a similar issue on a non Lexus car. But my problem was if it got to hot, either ambient temp. or engine heat built up under the hood, then my Nissan Sentra wouldnt start. It started out slow with the problem, but noticed that during the hot summer months it would not start. Anyway, narrowed it down to my starter, if it was to hot in the engine compartment, it wouldnt start, but I then sprayed cold freeze on the starter and it then would start. Your issue is the exact reverse of mine. Dont know if I was any help, but good luck.
Old 10-14-09, 05:27 AM
immax01
Rookie

Based on more research, i think I've narrowed it down to: The starter solenoid-the starter-or the flywheel. Im not too sure on how to diagnose any of these. Nor the difficulty of removing the starter, disassembling it, and understanding the condition of it and its gears. One thing i dont understand is why the cold would affect the starter system. Anyway, any help would be appreciated because im afraid i might be stripping gears. Thanks.
Old 12-02-23, 03:40 PM
wpatters1229
9th Gear

Default engine not starting do to temp.

Originally Posted by immax01
Based on more research, I think I've narrowed it down to The starter solenoid-the starter-or the flywheel. I'm not too sure how to diagnose any of these. Nor the difficulty of removing the starter, disassembling it, and understanding the condition of it and its gears. One thing I don't understand is why the cold would affect the starter system. Anyway, any help would be appreciated because im afraid I might be stripping gears. Thanks.
I am having a problem with it not starting when cold. Am pretty sure the solenoid on the starter is stuck. The solenoid is pulled by magnetic force and that in turn pushes the gears on the end of the starter motor into the flywheel. In the old days, you could buy just the solenoid and replace it very easily but nowadays you have to buy the whole starter. You can also attempt to take the starter apart and clean the solenoid area with brake clean and then put it back together. Do Not put any lube on the solenoid plunger. Over time that plunger that moves in the solenoid probably gets full of oil and dirt which when cold prevents it from moving. Not sure why it would not work when hot unless the solenoid plunger expands just enough to jam inside the cylinder of the solenoid.