ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Car problems with my ES 300! help me?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-09, 03:57 PM
gpkate08
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car problems with my ES 300! help me?

I bought a 1992 ES 300 back in 2006 for 6,000$. I'm not entirely sure what the mileage was that time, as my parents bought it for me as my first car but now it has 158,643 miles on it.
Dating back to when I first had my car, we had some trouble that no one could figure out. As I would decelerate and brake to a stop, my engine would stall, but fortunately always turned back on...well 3 years later, it's not turning back on.
I notice that my RPMs tend to fluctuate and get dangerous close towards 0 RPM, and my car also starts to shake and idle very rapidly. Finally it got to the point where the only way I could keep it going was to keep pressing on the gas while I was braked at a stop light :[
A week ago I had the distributor cap, o ring, and rotor replaced as well as the coolant temp. sensor (charged me 400 which includes a 70$ towing fee, was i overcharged? possibly haha) it was done at a local shop.
I also had the throttle cable tightened up by another local shop.
Now my car is sitting helplessly in my parking spot as it finally won't start.
anybody have any ideas??? i'm desperate, and im the typical college girl with no clue where to start and with limited funds. help? :]
Old 10-15-09, 04:07 PM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gpkate08
I bought a 1992 ES 300 back in 2006 for 6,000$. I'm not entirely sure what the mileage was that time, as my parents bought it for me as my first car but now it has 158,643 miles on it.
Dating back to when I first had my car, we had some trouble that no one could figure out. As I would decelerate and brake to a stop, my engine would stall, but fortunately always turned back on...well 3 years later, it's not turning back on.
I notice that my RPMs tend to fluctuate and get dangerous close towards 0 RPM, and my car also starts to shake and idle very rapidly. Finally it got to the point where the only way I could keep it going was to keep pressing on the gas while I was braked at a stop light :[
A week ago I had the distributor cap, o ring, and rotor replaced as well as the coolant temp. sensor (charged me 400 which includes a 70$ towing fee, was i overcharged? possibly haha) it was done at a local shop.
I also had the throttle cable tightened up by another local shop.
Now my car is sitting helplessly in my parking spot as it finally won't start.
anybody have any ideas??? i'm desperate, and im the typical college girl with no clue where to start and with limited funds. help? :]
First off welcome to Club Lexus. My question to you is, are you having the Check Engine Light come on. If it is on and I would think it would be on if your having problems, I would some how get it scanned. The code will help those on here that know about the engine, help you better diagnosis the problem. I know its going to be hard to have it scanned since its not starting, but there could be a host of things that can prevent your car from starting and running properly. Another question, when you try to start the car, what is happening, what noises do you hear?
Old 10-15-09, 04:12 PM
gpkate08
Driver School Candidate

Well, when I got my car checked a week ago and he did all that work on it he said the code was 41 TPS (i have nooo idea what that means) and the engine light never came on as I was initially getting into the car, not until braking (on random occasions) did the light turn on and my engine died. oh and the noises... i noticed delayed turn over for the engine (sometimes takes 15-30 seconds for it to finally start).
although once the engine died and I attempt to turn it back on, it makes a pretty nasty high pitched sound.
Old 10-19-09, 05:36 AM
Ron.lexus
Driver School Candidate

I once faced the same problem, i changed the engine oil and than i took my car to the dealer. He correct it, i dont know what was the problem but my suggestion is to ake it to some good mechanic.
Old 10-19-09, 05:47 AM
Nunyabiz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gpkate08
Well, when I got my car checked a week ago and he did all that work on it he said the code was 41 TPS (i have nooo idea what that means) and the engine light never came on as I was initially getting into the car, not until braking (on random occasions) did the light turn on and my engine died. oh and the noises... i noticed delayed turn over for the engine (sometimes takes 15-30 seconds for it to finally start).
although once the engine died and I attempt to turn it back on, it makes a pretty nasty high pitched sound.
I think that many auto parts places will put a scanner on your car for free, only takes them a couple minutes and they hand you the read out.

If I am not mistaken "41 TPS" is a "Throttle Position Sensor".
Might also be some minor wiring problem.
Old 10-19-09, 05:41 PM
h4vok
Driver School Candidate

sounds like ur car is having trouble to breathe in fresh air or read the air coming in to adjust the throttle correctly

it sucks u really need someone out there to have a look at it for you
Old 10-19-09, 06:03 PM
BK4293
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nunyabiz
I think that many auto parts places will put a scanner on your car for free, only takes them a couple minutes and they hand you the read out.
Not a 92, It's OBD1. Need to learn the old paperclip trick. Just search this site for OBD1 I know it's been discussed.
Originally Posted by Nunyabiz
If I am not mistaken "41 TPS" is a "Throttle Position Sensor".
Might also be some minor wiring problem.
Thats what it is, most likely the sensor located on the throttle body, or possibly bad wiring.
Old 10-20-09, 10:18 PM
03 ES
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like the throttle position sensor may be bad, or the wiring could be bad...without a throttle position sensor the car wont run because it relays to the computer the position of the throttle plate in reference to throttle input since the car uses a direct cable throttle....id start by taking it to a competent shop/dealer and have them inspect the throttle body/throttle position sensor/wiring since any of these could be to blame...
Old 10-20-09, 10:19 PM
03 ES
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also, the shop that "tightened the throttle cable" could have damaged something....