ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

97 ES300 Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-09, 11:46 AM
CHGO5OH
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 ES300 Starting Problems

I'm new to the forum and figured this would be a great way to greet everyone(Hello!) as well as getting the problem solved. I just got a 97 ES300 with 165000 miles on it. The problem is intermittant starting failure. Battery is new, yet 1 in 15 tries the starter doesn't turn over. If I keep hitting the key (4-5 times) it eventually turns over . . runs fine . . and will start the few dozen times or so. Can any one help me out here? I'm taking it to the mechanic on Saturday and it would help to know what the problem is.

Thanks!
Old 10-22-09, 12:05 PM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

When it eventually turns over, does it sound like it is turning at the normal speed? From your description, it sounds like the contacts inside the starter is worn. Often you can take the soleniod apart and clean the contacts, and return the starter to normal operation. I would suggest purchasing a rebuilt starter, because if the soleniod needs cleaning, the brushes and comutator also need to be serviced.
Old 10-22-09, 12:21 PM
PDXLex
Driver

Welcome to the forums! I'm pretty new here myself, but I also have a '97 with similar mileage. Aside from your starter issue, you're really gonnna love this car! BTW, got any pictures of your new ride to post???
Old 10-22-09, 12:57 PM
lexus559
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like the stater needs to be replaced (I have the same car and had the same issue). The problem will probably progress so make sure to get that starter soon! It should be a DIY job!
Old 10-22-09, 01:17 PM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

It can be the starter as the guys mentioned.
Or it can be the ignition switch.
Old 10-23-09, 07:45 AM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

My guess is ignition switch.
Old 10-24-09, 07:11 AM
LEX ES300
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CHGO5OH
I'm new to the forum and figured this would be a great way to greet everyone(Hello!) as well as getting the problem solved. I just got a 97 ES300 with 165000 miles on it. The problem is intermittant starting failure. Battery is new, yet 1 in 15 tries the starter doesn't turn over. If I keep hitting the key (4-5 times) it eventually turns over . . runs fine . . and will start the few dozen times or so. Can any one help me out here? I'm taking it to the mechanic on Saturday and it would help to know what the problem is.

Thanks!
Hi CHGO5OH - Welcome to the club!

Here's my opinion.......

It sounds like the starter to me. If you try to start the car and all you hear is a single click and no engine noise of it trying to turn over and start, and you have a new or fully charged battery then it's most probably the starter motor at fault.

Mine went on my 97 Es300 last year. Sometimes when I turned the key it would make a 'click' once (no other noise) and if I kept trying it would eventually suddenly turn over and start, but each week I didn't have it fixed, it got worse and worse untill it wouldn't start anymore after trying numerous times. (This was because the contacts inside the starter motor were worn and then eventually they don't made contact anymore)

Before you spend heaps of money on buying a complete new starter motor get your auto electrician to check the contacts inside the starter motor because in almost every case all you need to do is replace the starter contacts inside the starter motor. This is basically the only things that wear out on the Lexus/Toyota Denso starter motor.

I didn't want to try to fix it myself, so I got it fixed by an auto electrician.

Act like you know whats wrong with it and say its the contacts when you go to the electrician because many people will simply try to rip you off by saying you need a whole brand new starter! In most cases not true! Check this link out below..... Whilst I didn't buy the parts from there (I just got my auto electrician to get the parts) Their advice certainly worked for me and I saved heaps - I just needed new contacts and they were quite cheap. That worked for me - Simple!

http://www.startercontacts.com/

Good luck!

LEX ES300
Old 10-28-09, 11:03 AM
CHGO5OH
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all your replies. I ended up changing the starter on the car along with the trans oil. The car has 165K miles so the original did it's job.
Old 10-28-09, 02:53 PM
lexus559
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lex es300
hi chgo5oh - welcome to the club!

Mine went on my 97 es300 last year. Sometimes when i turned the key it would make a 'click' once (no other noise) and if i kept trying it would eventually suddenly turn over and start, but each week i didn't have it fixed, it got worse and worse untill it wouldn't start anymore after trying numerous times. (this was because the contacts inside the starter motor were worn and then eventually they don't made contact anymore)

lex es300 :d

lol same exact story same exact year!!!!!!!!!!!!