ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Power Steering and Transmission Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-09, 12:06 PM
schmoozer
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Power Steering and Transmission Fluid Change

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could guide me as to how to change the power steering fluid and transmission fluid on a 1997 ES300.

From what I've gathered I know that doing a complete tranny flush will probably cause more harm than help, and that the incremental drain/fill method is much better. I understand the concept, but could anyone provide me with a more detailed explanation as to how the process actually works. I'm very hesitant as any errors could result in thousands in repair bills! I also unfortunately don't know where the drain plug is.

Also, with the power steering fluid, I saw that there is a turkey baster method of incrementally changing the fluid on LS400s (I think), and was wondering if the same method applies to the ES300 or if there is another more efficient way.

Thanks for your help!

Also, any recommendations for the best ATF fluid. It seems as though the Toyota ATF is the best.
Old 10-30-09, 08:09 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Mobil 1 ATF makes a good PSF fluid, I'll defer to others, but the turkey baster method is one I use in a pinch.
Old 10-31-09, 04:11 PM
sbmonkey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 98 and did a drain and fill last week with some SuperTech ATF from Walmart (Dexron II/III compatible). I drained out about 2.7 qts of fluid, which is what the service manual stated, and filled in about 2.75 qts. The dipstick showed a little above the high HOT mark after several miles of driving.

The ATF drain plug is located on the driver side and is a large bolt that requires a 10mm hex key and is sort of flush to the transmission oil pan. It calls for 36 ft-lbs of torque if you are going to use a torque wrench. I plan on doing another drain and fill next week since I have no time this weekend. Then a 3rd one a week later. My ATF fluid was disgustingly brown.

Dexron III compatible should be used as the ATF in 97's as that's what is stated in the owners and service manuals. The same ATF is also required for the power steering fluid. So you might as well use the same for both.
Old 10-31-09, 06:25 PM
schmoozer
Driver

Thanks for the replies

I thought I remember reading somewhere that there are two drain plugs, one for the differential (?) and then one for the normal transmission pan. Is this true and do I need to drain both or will I be ok with just the tranny one..
Old 10-31-09, 06:35 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by schmoozer
Thanks for the replies

I thought I remember reading somewhere that there are two drain plugs, one for the differential (?) and then one for the normal transmission pan. Is this true and do I need to drain both or will I be ok with just the tranny one..
Yes, there are two. Drain both (see photo below (though this is from my RX300)) the front one is on the pan and the rear one is on the front differential. The front differential can drain about .5 quarts (assuming you drain the pan first) and it has a magnetic plug that needs to be cleaned).
Attached Thumbnails Power Steering and Transmission Fluid Change-difftran.jpg  
Old 10-31-09, 08:27 PM
schmoozer
Driver

Now this may be a stupid question, but are the differential and transmission all connected and use the same fluid or are they separate systems?

And do I add the fluid through the dip stick housing or is there another larger opening?
Old 11-01-09, 07:41 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Now this may be a stupid question, but are the differential and transmission all connected and use the same fluid or are they separate systems?

And do I add the fluid through the dip stick housing or is there another larger opening?
Good question.

They are connected.

The only place to properly pour in the ATF and that is the dipstick on the top. The fluid will trickle over to the front differential, usually takes about 30 seconds total, from some experiments I ran to get fully over there.
Old 11-01-09, 11:35 AM
schmoozer
Driver

So logically if I drain 2 quarts total from both plugs

I should therefore add in 2 quarts through the dipstick and it will just find its way to the tranny and diff on its own, and then of course check the level afterwords to make sure its not too low or high for whatever reason.
Old 11-01-09, 01:46 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

So logically if I drain 2 quarts total from both plugs

I should therefore add in 2 quarts through the dipstick and it will just find its way to the tranny and diff on its own, and then of course check the level afterwords to make sure its not too low or high for whatever reason.
Roughly.

But what happens is one usually drains the tranny pan first, out comes several liters (depends on which transmission you have). Then when you go to drain the front differential (assuming you just drained the tranny pan), out will come roughly .5 liters.

A good thing to do is measure what came out and then just put that amount back in.
Old 11-01-09, 04:17 PM
schmoozer
Driver

Thanks a lot for your help man!

Before I start do you have any recommendations for the ATF. I remember reading a lot about Toyota Type IV but from what I recall the owners manual says Dex II/III. Is there a Toyota III or what?

I'll do some of my own research, but let me know what has worked best for you.
Old 11-02-09, 06:00 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Thanks a lot for your help man!

Before I start do you have any recommendations for the ATF. I remember reading a lot about Toyota Type IV but from what I recall the owners manual says Dex II/III. Is there a Toyota III or what?

I'll do some of my own research, but let me know what has worked best for you.
If you really want to help your vehicle, go synthetic, (yes they are okay for your vehicle year and model):

The easiest one to get (at virtually any auto parts store) is the first one:

Mobil 1, https://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English...hetic_ATF.aspx

Amsoil, http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atf.aspx (some Carquest Stores carry this and I in Florida Murray's Speed and Custom, though it can be ordered online, but you might find it in other stores, this is my personal favorite.

Redline, http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=50&pcid=9

Royal Purple, http://www.royalpurple.com/transmission-fluid.html

Each one of these has been used by members over in the 1st gen RX group, and we have virtually an identical transmission in many cases.
Old 11-02-09, 06:21 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I performed the tranny drain & refill (very easy by the way). When you pour it back through the dipstick use a nozzle preferably with a longer end. I never the differential drain. Is this in the same spot as the RX picture above?
Old 11-02-09, 08:25 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by draco
I performed the tranny drain & refill (very easy by the way). When you pour it back through the dipstick use a nozzle preferably with a longer end. I never the differential drain. Is this in the same spot as the RX picture above?
Depends on the transmission type.
Old 11-03-09, 04:56 PM
Audacity
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am I missing something here? Isn't there a filter change involved with a transmission fluid change?
Martin
Old 11-03-09, 07:09 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Audacity
Am I missing something here? Isn't there a filter change involved with a transmission fluid change?
Martin
It depends. Sometimes, some people just like to do the drain and fills of the two plugs, while others go ahead and do the filter change. I think the way I've been doing it is every year (when I was using Type IV fluid) was every other time I was changing out the filter. Normally, I'd drain the fluid 3 times over weeks, but on the time I'd do the filter change I'd go two weeks of drains and refills and on the third time changing out the filter and cleaning out the pan magnets.
Attached Thumbnails Power Steering and Transmission Fluid Change-img_0812.jpg   Power Steering and Transmission Fluid Change-img_0673.jpg  

Quick Reply: Power Steering and Transmission Fluid Change