ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

underdrive pulleys

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-09, 09:46 AM
ASG14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Unfortunatley no. the 3VZ crank pulley is different.
Old 11-09-09, 01:56 PM
sagarx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

got pulley...that is some fast shipping!
Old 11-09-09, 02:26 PM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I got my pulley also today. I ordered the red one, favorite color. Im going to go buy the belts from autozone today or tomorrow. I also got a quote from my local Lexus dealership for 120.00 to install the pulley and belts. Im hoping for a discount, a co worker is friends with a couple people in the service dept. Will update once I get it installed.

Update to belts: FYI, to those buying the pulley and belts. I went to Autozone and gave them the part number from the NST website, did not come up and I told the guy its probably a part number for Gates Belts and he said they dont carry Gates brand. So, I called Kragen/O'Reilly Auto Parts and gave them the part number and it came up on their system as a Gates belt and a Master Pro belt, same type of belts, different manufacture and pricing. Gates belts are 20.00 dollars with 1 year warranty and the Master Pro, 10 dollars cheaper, but 3 month warranty. Hope this helps..............

Last edited by angmedic91; 11-09-09 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-10-09, 07:49 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Please let me and the others in this thread know what your sensations are immediately before and after installation of this belt. As I said earlier, it probably wont' be immediately noticeable, but as the vehicle computer picks up on this, you should note differences in the accelerator and torque.
Old 11-10-09, 11:38 AM
sagarx
Rookie

i tried to have mine put on today i kept getting 150-180 instal price. i would get your feed back first
Old 11-10-09, 12:50 PM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

I'll keep everyone posted on here, I bought one belt last night from Kragen and had to order the other one, which came in today. I'll be picking up the belt this evening. I got the belts at a real good discount, the guys at Kragen noticed I'm there alot and knocked 10 dollars off each belt, got one for 10 dollars and the other belt for 14.00 dollars. My co worker called Lexus of Thousand Oaks and spoke with his service friend and will charge me about 100 dollars to install the pulley and belts, 20 dollars savings instead of 120.00 they orginally quoted me. I wont get my stuff installed until Thursday or Friday of this week. As far the computer picking up on this, I usually reset by removing the negative battery cable for 5 minutes and then reconnect to reset the ECU on any parts I install or replace or clean related to the engine so it quickly relearns my driving habits.

I was told by the parts guy at Kragen that the lighten pulley may cause a shift in weight on the crankshaft and stress the rear bearings, dont know if this would be true and something about the harmonic balancer. I told him Im just replacing my OEM pulley with an underdrive pulley for more HP. I also read on Solarguy.com about concerns with vibrations in the engine when replacing to a lightened pulley, dont know if this is true or a concern. Anyone have any info on this? Thanks.........
Old 11-10-09, 01:25 PM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

The guy at kragens is giving you some bad information. The harmonic balancer is what controls vibrations in the crankshaft, but you are replacing the pulley, not the ballancer. One thing that some people may have problems with is the alternator. Those running custom sterios with monster amps may find that the alternator is not putting out enough to keep the battery charged at lower rpms.

I would recomend people with the earlier cars (early 90's) with the hydrolic fans fans should keep a eye on the water temp, as the power steering pump will be turning slower.
Old 11-10-09, 02:41 PM
ASG14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The later 1MZ engines had optional 130A Alternators that are a DIRECT 100% bolt on swap for a lot of the 1MZ's.
Old 11-10-09, 04:01 PM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks guys for the info, what about the bearings, rear bearing in particular. Is that a valid concern or misinformation also. I have a 98 ES300 and Im not running any amps or woofers yet, just have the stock Nakamichi audio system for now.
Old 11-10-09, 04:11 PM
sagarx
Rookie

ok where does one begin. took the car to the performance place. install total 160. ok first the smaller of the belts is to small! you have to get one that is inbetween the old one & the recommended size but closer to the stock(bigger belt) the other belt fit fine. as for the weight difference...WOW! huge! after install the alternator belt i believe,could be wrong was squeaking. with the proper cranks of the wrench all is well.
ok. as for performance. yes better throttle response. car wants to take off when you smash the gas. i would say it increased my timing by 1000rpm's. these guys were not amatures they only do high performance work. some sick evo's,civics & real sick eclipse in the parking lot.
Old 11-10-09, 04:23 PM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

It will not hurt the bearings, it is possible that the person that told you this was confussing a common problem that happens if someone uses a hammer to install the harmonic balancer (instead of the proper installation tool). A hammer will damage the thrust bearing. On most engines, the rear bearing is the bearing that is designed to control the lateral thrust in the engine.
Old 11-10-09, 04:29 PM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sagarx
ok where does one begin. took the car to the performance place. install total 160. ok first the smaller of the belts is to small! you have to get one that is inbetween the old one & the recommended size but closer to the stock(bigger belt) the other belt fit fine. as for the weight difference...WOW! huge! after install the alternator belt i believe,could be wrong was squeaking. with the proper cranks of the wrench all is well.
ok. as for performance. yes better throttle response. car wants to take off when you smash the gas. i would say it increased my timing by 1000rpm's. these guys were not amatures they only do high performance work. some sick evo's,civics & real sick eclipse in the parking lot.
You said the smaller belt was to small, that belt is K040335 (a/c, p/s) according to NST website. What size belt did you have to end up getting? Do you have the part number and brand of belt or belt size. I already bought the smaller belt from Kragen, but I can return it still, they also have a belt size reader too. Thanks bro..........
Old 11-10-09, 04:32 PM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GEORGE_JET
It will not hurt the bearings, it is possible that the person that told you this was confussing a common problem that happens if someone uses a hammer to install the harmonic balancer (instead of the proper installation tool). A hammer will damage the thrust bearing. On most engines, the rear bearing is the bearing that is designed to control the lateral thrust in the engine.
Thanks George Jet, you are a wealth of mechanical knowledge. Ive read your other posts and figured your either a mechanic or you know your cars real well, either way, glad your on here and Im learning a lot from you, thanks.
Old 11-10-09, 04:35 PM
sagarx
Rookie

lucky for me there was an autozone across the street. i just asked her to size it up & give me a belt between the two belts but closer to the stock belt.don't know belt #
ok just looked at reciept it says 347k4 hope that is the belt #
Old 11-10-09, 04:36 PM
sagarx
Rookie

also i had my esu shut down the entire time during install.

Quick Reply: underdrive pulleys