ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

underdrive pulleys

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-09, 04:42 PM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sagarx
lucky for me there was an autozone across the street. i just asked her to size it up & give me a belt between the two belts but closer to the stock belt.don't know belt #
ok just looked at reciept it says 347k4 hope that is the belt #
Thanks bro, that is the part number, went to the autozone website and came back as a Duralast belt, 4 ribs, 34.750 inches in length. Im assuming the guys that installed your pulley and belts told you, you needed a longer belt? Im going to buy a Gates belt in the same size and I will let the dealer tech. decide which belt fits better and then just return the one they dont use. Thank you very much.
Old 11-10-09, 04:51 PM
sagarx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no problem angmedic! i am here to help just as i am sure you would do in return. please let me know how long the install takes & which belt worked.
Old 11-10-09, 06:00 PM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

no problem angmedic! i am here to help just as i am sure you would do in return. please let me know how long the install takes & which belt worked.
Sure no problem. Like I mentioned earlier, Im having my local dealer install it more than likely on Friday, slight chance of rain on Thursday. I just looked at the first Gates belt I bought and its 34 inches in length and the one you used is 34.750 inch, only 0.75 inches longer, guess that makes a significant difference.
Old 11-10-09, 08:11 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by angmedic91
Sure no problem. Like I mentioned earlier, Im having my local dealer install it more than likely on Friday, slight chance of rain on Thursday. I just looked at the first Gates belt I bought and its 34 inches in length and the one you used is 34.750 inch, only 0.75 inches longer, guess that makes a significant difference.
If anything buy a few sizes dude, nothing sucks more than having the wrong belt once you took apart all of it. It would suck having the wrong one, and ending up with the down time and running around to get the belt.
Old 11-10-09, 08:15 PM
sagarx
Rookie

i would agree on that. i got lucky there was an autozone within a mins. walk. also make sure you have your lug key.
Old 11-10-09, 10:00 PM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ASG14
The later 1MZ engines had optional 130A Alternators that are a DIRECT 100% bolt on swap for a lot of the 1MZ's.
I would probably not recomend the higher output alternator. Unless this is physically considerably larger than the original alternator, the chances are that it will actually put out less at lower speeds. Keep in mind that most things are a comprimise, for higher current, you must have larger wires. So to have a high output alternator with the same case size, you must give up something.

With the underdrive pulley, you will spin the alternator slower, you could possibly end up with even lower overall electrical output. I would suggest that it may be a better idea for those that find that they have a charging issue, check to see if they can find a smaller alternator pulley.

I suggest monitoring the battey voltage, and then using that information to determine the next step. Underdrive pulleys are good in many cases, but not all.
Old 11-11-09, 02:31 AM
sagarx
Rookie

i am right there with you. that is one of the first things i did was monitor voltage with me passport 8500 x50. i lost at least a volt if not a lil more.
Old 11-11-09, 12:35 PM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

i am right there with you. that is one of the first things i did was monitor voltage with me passport 8500 x50. i lost at least a volt if not a lil more.
Aside from the drop in voltage, any other changes, for instance power steering and engine temp. Wondering, is the water pump getting its power from the crank pulley too? Since buying my car in April 2009, I never used the A/C, so I'm not to concerned about decrease in A/C ability, my concern is engine temp, power steering and alternator.

Last edited by angmedic91; 11-11-09 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-11-09, 01:28 PM
sagarx
Rookie

power steering,water temp,a/c all fine. just a little squeak at start up,but i am sure that is due to the fresh paint on the new pulley. it gets better with ever day though it's only been two. this morning it squeaked for less then a half second & was fine the rest of the day at start ups. the only down side is the drop in voltage. i used to run about 14 volts with the car running. now it's between 12.8-13.3.give or take. as i do not have a audio system installed yet i am not to concerned. i need to buy a new battery anyway for the winter, mine i can tell is old so i am hoping that may help a slight bit. i am also looking into a voltage regulator to keep things even. should give a lil better performance as i see drops with the 8500 x50 voltage reader when i smash the gas. i must admit that i really enjoy getting on the car now.a definite increase in power & throttle response. nothing huge like a s/c,but it works. my next purchase due to the extra power the car is making due to the intake & pulley will be a high performance bigger brake kit to get the car wowed down better as i can tell i "most absolutely" need it with this extra power!
after that no more n/a mods! it's just not worth all the money.it is time to begin the process of adding a trd super charger! i am in contact with a member i met on here,who is gonna help walk me through the process. so besides bigger brakes,i will be getting header,ypipe,& exaust. then change over to the single throttle body,& add some fuel mods for the s/c, that will all be on a new thread super charged 2000 es300!! just to be clear though if your looking for a little more power & throttle response get the pulley especially if you have other mods/intake,exhaust work,ect.
Old 11-11-09, 02:12 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

my next purchase due to the extra power the car is making due to the intake & pulley will be a high performance bigger brake kit to get the car wowed down better as i can tell i "most absolutely" need it with this extra power!

it is time to begin the process of adding a trd super charger! i am in contact with a member i met on here,who is gonna help walk me through the process. so besides bigger brakes,i will be getting header,ypipe,& exaust. then change over to the single throttle body,& add some fuel mods for the s/c, that will all be on a new thread super charged 2000 es300!! just to be clear though if your looking for a little more power & throttle response get the pulley especially if you have other mods/intake,exhaust work,ect.
I am gonna be a buzzkill here for a little bit.

1. No you don't need bigger brakes. Did you mysteriously acquire 200 more horses overnight? Probably not, more like 170 ish at the wheels [as a whole] now.

A night and day difference is a GOOD quality rotor and pad [so the Hawk HP, green stuff gets great reviews but leaves a bit of dust from what i have seen, and Brembo rotors or something] Don't bother with slotted as they take away from pad life, and if you must go the rice route that requires you to get 'COOL LOOKING ROTORS' get drilled, as they are less prone to taking away from brake pad life.

Anyways, just a little tidbit, but of course, don't take my word for it, its not like i know anything.

2. Good stuff! So you are getting rid of you motor then? You know, to accommodate the S/C, right?
Old 11-11-09, 03:30 PM
ASG14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
2. Good stuff! So you are getting rid of you motor then? You know, to accommodate the S/C, right?
HAHA!
Old 11-11-09, 03:36 PM
sagarx
Rookie

ok. i really know nothing about brakes i just know that the car gets up to 120mph allot faster now & its tuff to stop & that high speed. i will take your advice & just do rotors & good pads. that is what i was thinking in the first place. i guess a full kit is lines, caliper,& pieces stated above. as for getting a new engine.... no they do make a s/c that will fit VVT-i 1MZ like i stated before if you have the dual throttle body you have to switch to the single. maybe i am wrong! but there are plenty of s/c camarys/,solaras....why not an es????? again maybe i am wrong!!
Old 11-11-09, 03:37 PM
sagarx
Rookie

asg14....so what are you saying it can't be done.
or do i know the answer to that question

Last edited by sagarx; 11-11-09 at 03:42 PM.
Old 11-11-09, 04:00 PM
sagarx
Rookie

[QUOTE=01LEXPL;4999590]I am gonna be a buzzkill here for a little bit.

1. No you don't need bigger brakes.
Did you mysteriously acquire 200 more horses overnight? Probably not, more like 170 ish at the wheels
10 extra horses feels pretty nice to me at least,but what do i know.
Old 11-11-09, 04:37 PM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

power steering,water temp,a/c all fine. just a little squeak at start up,but i am sure that is due to the fresh paint on the new pulley. it gets better with ever day though it's only been two. this morning it squeaked for less then a half second & was fine the rest of the day at start ups. the only down side is the drop in voltage. i used to run about 14 volts with the car running. now it's between 12.8-13.3.give or take. as i do not have a audio system installed yet i am not to concerned. i need to buy a new battery anyway for the winter, mine i can tell is old so i am hoping that may help a slight bit. i am also looking into a voltage regulator to keep things even. should give a lil better performance as i see drops with the 8500 x50 voltage reader when i smash the gas. i must admit that i really enjoy getting on the car now.a definite increase in power & throttle response. nothing huge like a s/c,but it works. my next purchase due to the extra power the car is making due to the intake & pulley will be a high performance bigger brake kit to get the car wowed down better as i can tell i "most absolutely" need it with this extra power!
after that no more n/a mods! it's just not worth all the money.it is time to begin the process of adding a trd super charger! i am in contact with a member i met on here,who is gonna help walk me through the process. so besides bigger brakes,i will be getting header,ypipe,& exaust. then change over to the single throttle body,& add some fuel mods for the s/c, that will all be on a new thread super charged 2000 es300!! just to be clear though if your looking for a little more power & throttle response get the pulley especially if you have other mods/intake,exhaust work,ect.
Thanks for all the information. I already have the pulley and belts of different sizes and an appt on Friday with my local Lexus dealership to have them install it for about $100.00. I also already have an intake and exhaust system. I also have an Optima Red Top battery and only running the stock audio system. As for the brakes, I upgraded to the drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads. I'll agree with everyone else, I dont think you'll need to upgrade to bigger brakes unless your track racing a lot at high speeds, but for everyday driving, upgrading your pads and rotors would be sufficient. Im very happy with my brake set up, stops quicker than the stock set up.

Last edited by angmedic91; 11-12-09 at 01:58 PM.

Quick Reply: underdrive pulleys