ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

underdrive pulleys

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-09, 05:06 PM
sagarx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by angmedic91
Thanks for all the information. I already have the pulley and belts of different sizes and an appt on Friday with my local Lexus dealership to have them install it for about $100.00. I also already have an intake and exhaust system. I also have an Optima Red Top battery and only running the stock audio system. As for the brakes, I upgraded to the drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads. I'll agree with everyone else, I dont think you'll need to upgrade to bigger brakes unless your track racing a lot at high speeds, but for everyday driving, upgraded your pads and rotor would be sufficient. Im very happy with my brake set up, stops quicker than the stock set up.
yeah i will just get a better rotor & pads,you have some good mods, you have to admit when that car gets up an going the oem brakes stink
also that is a great install price. specially for lexus service dept.

Last edited by sagarx; 11-11-09 at 05:11 PM.
Old 11-11-09, 05:55 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by ASG14
HAHA!
I'm not laughing
It was discussed on here and i have referenced a couple of sources, but the S/C won't work on the VVTI equipped 1MZFE, will it?

I found that either the heads have to be changed which would be an extensive process once you factor in playing aronud with the ECU and the most efficient way was to get the NON-VVTI 1MZFE, and run an S/C on that.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=46559
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=25686

So how accurate is this source of info? There are more threads like this.

Conclusion, pain in the *** to modify and to make fit & not worth it in a VVTI equipped car.

Correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 11-11-09, 06:38 PM
sagarx
Rookie

[QUOTE=01LEXPL;5000178]I'm not laughing
It was discussed on here and i have referenced a couple of sources, but the S/C won't work on the VVTI equipped 1MZFE, will it?

I found that either the heads have to be changed which would be an extensive process once you factor in playing aronud with the ECU and the most efficient way was to get the NON-VVTI 1MZFE, and run an S/C on that.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=46559
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=25686

So how accurate is this source of info? There are more threads like this.

Conclusion, pain in the *** to modify and to make fit & not worth it in a VVTI equipped car.

it may it may not.but from what i have been researching it seems nothing is impossible,but maybe it is. ya never know till ya get the s/c put a high out put fuel pump in her change, the fuel rails & see if the head hits the roof @ 6psi. i honestly don't know,but i wanna find out something bad! are the heads different on the vvt 1mzfe?? then a vvt-i?? maybe an APEXi piggy back can take care of the ecu??? i don't know. maybe it's impossible & i will buy a 95' civic si for dirt cheap,cut the frame put a gs-r engine in her & turn it into a 13 second car with slicks. possibilities are endless is the way i like to look at things you never know until you try. i will let you know as i research it more.
Old 11-11-09, 06:42 PM
sagarx
Rookie

i don't want to make the moderator mad so if this is gonna continue to be discussed make a new thread about super charging a es300, or is there already one? i am sorry i haven't read the links posted yet.
Old 11-11-09, 07:01 PM
ASG14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll leave it at as far as I know, and my research, the VVT-i WITH drive by wire is the issue. And the 99-01 was cable throttle, right? I want to be sure. There is a VVT-i 1MZ at my dealer in the garage a mechanic is rebuilding to sell it. I'm going to have a close look at it tomorrow. Hell, few years ago it was said the SC would not fit a 94-96.

But yeah, I;m goign to do some heavy research on it, as I know 2 guys on here now that would like to install one on thier 99-01 ES. I've worked on 8 TRD SC 1MZ's ranging from 94-03, so I got a good idea on the setup to go from.

~Adam
Old 11-12-09, 01:23 PM
sagarx
Rookie

i just drove my moms 2004 lexus rx. idk how much horse power it has, but my car is a rocket compared to that thing. maybe the weight difference?? please no smart @@@ replies it was just a observation i made, & thought i would share.what do the rx's have for power compared to the es?
Old 11-12-09, 05:20 PM
sagarx
Rookie

Exclamation belts are sqeaking when it is in first gear.

ok now the belts are squeaking everytime the car is in fist to second. i guess it needs to be adjusted??? any info??
Old 11-12-09, 06:26 PM
sagarx
Rookie

i adjusted the adjustment bolt for the drive belt. the bolt by the alternator & the problem is fixed. but i do not like the sound i get when under the hood giving it gas with the throttle billet. sounds like a vibration. could this be the harmonizer?
Old 11-12-09, 06:35 PM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

Visually check the belts, pullies while the engine is running. Look for any signs of wobble. Very unlikely that the harmonic ballancer is causing vibration unless it is coming apart, and that would be evident quickly. It is more likely that the pulley may not be sitting flush with the harmonic ballancer.
Old 11-12-09, 06:40 PM
sagarx
Rookie

ok thank you for the info.

Last edited by sagarx; 11-12-09 at 09:02 PM.
Old 11-12-09, 07:00 PM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

The harmonic ballancer is bolted to the end of the crankshaft. The Underdrive pulley is bolted to the harmonic ballancer. I recomend checking for wobble, and verfey that the belt is running true on the pulley. Also with the engine off, visually check the ballancer closely, any issues with the pulley should be evident, if you suspect something, take a picture and upload it so that we can see it and give you suggestions.
Did you install the pulley yourself? If so was the mounting surface clean/free of any debris?
Old 11-12-09, 07:00 PM
sagarx
Rookie

problem is still there. i had it a lexus today. they pulled the heads to check for wear & oil sludge. my mom works there cost me $15.00 so i guess i will take it back tomorrow & hsve them deal with it. unless anyone has any ideas.
Old 11-14-09, 11:20 AM
sagarx
Rookie

Exclamation

question the drive belt tension bolt? is it located right in front of the alternator? also is it a normal thread or reverse? i am still trying to get the belt to stop squeaking. it seems to do it when the alternator is under load. or when you first give the car gas or first start the car. it goes away sometimes. seems at its worse during cold start with alt. under load.
Old 11-14-09, 01:18 PM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, finally able to get on here. The cyber attack on this website kept me from getting on here. Anyways, took my car into the dealer and had them install the pulley and belts, took them less than an hour and they were able to use the belts that were listed on the NST website. I then returned the larger four rib belt I bought since Sagarx stated the guys at his place couldnt install the smaller belt. No squeaks what so ever and runs like a charm. First off, the OEM pulley is about 2 pounds heavier than the underpulley, and the OEM pulley is 1 inch in diameter bigger than the underpulley. Throttle respone is better with the underpulley, as soon as I give it gas it wants to go. As far as fuel economy to soon to find out, I have a full tank and will have to update on that later. No change in engine temp, I believe the timing belt powers the water pump. Steering feels fine, but there is a change in voltage output as Sagarx had stated earlier. In park, with 600rpm, the voltage output is appox. 12.54 Volts and as the RPM's go up, so does the voltage output. Sagarx, I have a feeling the squealing is coming from the belt that you got bigger, its probably slipping causing the squeaks.

Last edited by angmedic91; 11-14-09 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-14-09, 01:44 PM
sagarx
Rookie

i am so happy you got on here. yes i am sure that that is the problem. i am going to have the problem fixed. thank you so much.

Quick Reply: underdrive pulleys