ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

underdrive pulleys

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-09, 02:58 PM
sagarx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default underdrive pulleys

after lots of looking i finally found underdrive crank pulley for the es300. maybe i am just so new & am far behind & everyone knew about them ,but u found em'. let me know if you are interested i am sure they give good throttle response & more hrsp. if anyone knows of performance engine parts for the es300 let me know please.... lets figure out how to get as much hrsp out of these things together.
Old 11-03-09, 04:16 PM
lexus559
Driver School Candidate

sweet how much
Old 11-03-09, 07:21 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

I'm actually also aware of a group that was making one as well, but their intention was to actually make a lightweight crankshaft pulley, not an underdrive one. Actually there's been a few companies that have come and gone over the years attempting to do this for the 1MZFE engine. Probably the most vocal discussions of this go on www.solaraguy.com

V6 1st generation Solaras used the 1MZFE engine.

Back in late 2005, Underdog Racing Development made a lightweight crankshaft pulley that I ended up getting for my RX300 after seeing it tested successfully on the Solaras, but the pulley is no longer made. I fondly remember my cousin and I installing that pulley when I was in Mexico City, because the next time I ran at the track in the 1/4 mile I broke the 18 second barrier, and that's something at high altitude. It's definitely worth the $$$. I've had no ill effects whatsoever.
Attached Thumbnails underdrive pulleys-img_3620.jpg  
Old 11-03-09, 09:10 PM
sagarx
Rookie

http://www.nonstoptuning.com/pKitToySol.html
they make them for the es's up to 2003. you would need new belts which they either would supply you with or they would give you the part number. talked to dude today they have them in stock & in different colors..underdrive pulley finally found em!!
Old 11-03-09, 10:23 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by sagarx
http://www.nonstoptuning.com/pKitToySol.html
they make them for the es's up to 2003. you would need new belts which they either would supply you with or they would give you the part number. talked to dude today they have them in stock & in different colors..underdrive pulley finally found em!!
I sort of remember on Solaraguy there was talk they were going to make a lightened one in addition to the underdrive on. Still, the fact that they have something in this department for this motor is encouraging.
Old 11-03-09, 10:28 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I'm also going to reference this over in the RX forum.
Old 11-04-09, 08:57 AM
sagarx
Rookie

i just wanted to say i am going to purchase the kit today & of course will let you all know how things go. i am not sure if it would be easier if i had performance header installed at the same time, or not??? if it doesn't make a difference i will have the pulley installed as soon a financially possible. any ideas to how big of a job installation would be,please post,or amount it could possibly cost to have installed.
also i sent them an e-mail that there are many lexus owners es300,330,rx owners who are looking to tune there cars,but slowed down by a major lack of performance parts. now with many of us being the second owners of great cars which we purchased used that were owned previously by people who maintained the cars many cases by lexus by the book. so these cars that are in most cases in great shape are being bought used, by a different generation as the first owners as i know was in my case. my car was first bought for $30,000 something new by a doctor who maintained it by lexus at every scheduled time. now with the car being 8-9 years old i can afford such a nice car,& would love to tune it. if we can get the word out to some of these companies like NST not to forget about the 1MZFE MCV20 engine hopefully they will produce more performance parts which there is a major lack of as i as i am sure as others have come to find as we search for performance parts to tune our cars.

Last edited by sagarx; 11-04-09 at 09:20 AM.
Old 11-04-09, 09:24 AM
sagarx
Rookie

Default NST pulley

if there were only more parts like this....
Attached Thumbnails underdrive pulleys-toyota-1mz-crank-pulley.jpg  
Old 11-04-09, 10:58 AM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is so cool, thanks a bunch for the link and info. Finally something that will help increase horsepower to our engines. Wonder if their is a negative effect on fuel economy. Would like to boost horsepower and increase fuel economy on my car.
Old 11-04-09, 11:35 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

I have to ask; WHY?!?

If you wanted a powerful car, you are doing it wrong, you should have bought an IS300, get a NA-T setups running and you have one fun car!

ES300 - FWD, V6 highway cruiser.

Take it to the track with you new mods and what? Run a 15.5/16 sec pass?

Either way, i am curious to see what you will do and you have proved that you do have the ***** to dump money into these cars, so props to you!
Old 11-04-09, 12:31 PM
sagarx
Rookie

this car fell into my lap at a unbeatable price. as you stated it is a great highway cruiser, as is a bmw ect. so why not have a highway cruiser with some ***** to it? i mean they make all kids of performance parts for corollas,camerys,bmw's, ect are they all sport cars built for speed? no! i think having a highway cruiser that has a nice big fat set of ***** on it is a good thing, & i am willing to do the mods.am i the only one on here that would install these pulleys? am i the only one with an es that wants some more hrsp.maybe? i don't know why some installed intakes,exhausts,headers,ect. i am not stupid & in no means am i coming back @ you in a rude way so please don't take me wrong. i know the car isn't gonna go anywhere near 13 seconds in 1/4mile n/a. i just want some more juice. just like a sollera owner, or corolla owner,4cyilinder honda built in the mid 90's... tuning your vehicle to me is fun! yes i want to drop it & make it look sweet as well,just my personal preference is some extra speed. what a better sleeper car then a lexus es300? i hope you understand my response as to WHY?!?
i have a 2001 gsxr 750 if i need to set my hair on fire all i need to do is jump on her. thanks to your props though!
Old 11-04-09, 01:23 PM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

this car fell into my lap at a unbeatable price. as you stated it is a great highway cruiser, as is a bmw ect. so why not have a highway cruiser with some ***** to it? i mean they make all kids of performance parts for corollas,camerys,bmw's, ect are they all sport cars built for speed? no! i think having a highway cruiser that has a nice big fat set of ***** on it is a good thing, & i am willing to do the mods.am i the only one on here that would install these pulleys? am i the only one with an es that wants some more hrsp.maybe? i don't know why some installed intakes,exhausts,headers,ect. i am not stupid & in no means am i coming back @ you in a rude way so please don't take me wrong. i know the car isn't gonna go anywhere near 13 seconds in 1/4mile n/a. i just want some more juice. just like a sollera owner, or corolla owner,4cyilinder honda built in the mid 90's... tuning your vehicle to me is fun! yes i want to drop it & make it look sweet as well,just my personal preference is some extra speed. what a better sleeper car then a lexus es300? i hope you understand my response as to WHY?!?
i have a 2001 gsxr 750 if i need to set my hair on fire all i need to do is jump on her. thanks to your props though!
Very well said, I am like you, I got the car because it was my sister's and she had the dealer service it the whole time, she was the sole owner of the car and I knew the service history on it and she sold it to me for 5 bills. If I had the money, I would of gotten a new IS-F and modded that, but I didnt have 40-50 bills laying around, and didnt want a car payment. I enjoying modding my cars, so I dont mind paying a little to customize my car and squeak out some horsepower. I know my car cant compete like an IS-F, but to be able to do get more horsepower and fuel economy is what makes fixing up cars fun and enjoyable for those on a budget. I respect everyones ideas on here and how they customize theirs, to each their own. I would never be rude and disrespectful to anyone on here on their decision on how they want to fix up their car and I would expect the same from others. My motto is in order to get respect you ought to give respect to others.
Old 11-04-09, 01:23 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

i just wanted to say i am going to purchase the kit today & of course will let you all know how things go. i am not sure if it would be easier if i had performance header installed at the same time, or not??? if it doesn't make a difference i will have the pulley installed as soon a financially possible. any ideas to how big of a job installation would be,please post,or amount it could possibly cost to have installed.
also i sent them an e-mail that there are many lexus owners es300,330,rx owners who are looking to tune there cars,but slowed down by a major lack of performance parts. now with many of us being the second owners of great cars which we purchased used that were owned previously by people who maintained the cars many cases by lexus by the book. so these cars that are in most cases in great shape are being bought used, by a different generation as the first owners as i know was in my case. my car was first bought for $30,000 something new by a doctor who maintained it by lexus at every scheduled time. now with the car being 8-9 years old i can afford such a nice car,& would love to tune it. if we can get the word out to some of these companies like NST not to forget about the 1MZFE MCV20 engine hopefully they will produce more performance parts which there is a major lack of as i as i am sure as others have come to find as we search for performance parts to tune our cars.
Don't throw headers on there yet. Work from the muffler and go back, direct flow muffler, wider pipe behind the cat first. Headers will have some benefit, but not as much as say going ram air (which is easy without much expense or trouble) or forced induction which is $$$ and need expertise.

They pulley wouldn't be that hard to install if you have the right tool to remove the bolts and the jack. My cousin and I did it under 15 minutes or so if I remember it right, from start to finish getting the tire off and then going at the belts and putting the pulley on.

On your other points, ever since I came back to the U.S., I do hear it from people, "why did you do that to a soccer mom vehicle?" Before my RX300 was considered 'a soccer mom vehicle' it was actually advertised by Lexus as an alternative to the rugged, but not as reliable, Jeep Grand Cherokee. The soccer mom label got attached later. If you go to Mexico, I guarantee you people who knew me and my RX300 would never know a Lexus as a soccer mom vehicle given what they saw I did with my RX.

I didn't beef up my RX to run races at the beginning, but because the high altitude of Mexico City took a hard toll on the vehicle in terms of MPG, wear and tear, etc. with the side benefit being more power. I never heard a single peep out of anyone down there as to that shouldn't be done to that type of vehicle. We had all sorts of people with all sorts of vehicles that were modded in every which way at my track back in Mexico City, was always a real joy to see every weekend.

Enjoy your vehicle as you see fit.
Old 11-04-09, 03:11 PM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Anyone know or have a DIY to change the crank pulley and belts on a 3rd Gen ES. Im going to buy the pulley and belts and would like to do this myself if its possible or I might have the dealer do the install if its to complicated. According the NST website, should take an hour for a professional to do, so about 110.00 dollars for the dealer to install / labor.

Last edited by angmedic91; 11-04-09 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-04-09, 05:07 PM
sagarx
Rookie

pulled the trigger & ordered the pulley. i didn't get a confirmation yet,didn't even get the chance to pick the color i wanted. i just ordered it so maybe they will contact me tomorrow to complete the order. i will keep you all posted as to the process. it is pay by paypal only. i haven't recieved any type of e-mail back so it must not be an automated system.

Quick Reply: underdrive pulleys