ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

what the hell?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-09, 03:26 PM
onslaught

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what the hell?!?!?!?

So I'm driving down the highway late last night with my friend and out of nowhere i hear a crash and can't see anything anymore... We didn't panic or anything, we were both just like what the hell was that?!

I figure out a way to pull over and find out that the hood of my 98 ES randomly swung up and smashed the windshield, shattered the sunroof and bent the roof a little bit. Like wtf?!?!?! How does that even happen?!?!?!?!? My hood is ****ed up!!! and it prolly needs a new hood, fenders fixed up, a new sunroof, windshield, maybe a few other little things. The grill shattered into like 40 pieces and the Lexus emblem from the hood landed in my friend's lap. There was glass everywhere. This sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was able to drive the car home somehow at like 10mph the whole way, following another friend that we called, after using my belt to tie the hood down.

The insurance company, I believe, will be coming to tow the car on Monday and will be taking it to the dealership. We'll see if the car is fixable or totaled!
Old 11-14-09, 03:45 PM
sagarx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HOLY $H!T. THAT DOES SUCK!! good you & your boy are ok!! got me bout to go inspect my latch!!
Old 11-14-09, 03:49 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

damn! sucks to hear. it is a good thing that you and your friend are all right. it does seem odd for the hood to fling itself like that. hopefully the insurance company can provide more information. hoping its not a total loss...
Old 11-14-09, 04:41 PM
Ariyanna
Lead Lap

THANK GOD YOU GUYS WERE NOT HURT!!

Here is a rough estimate I did just on parts assuming you dont need more

Collision Catalog - 1998 - Lexus - ES 300
Hood and grille, Grille and components, Grille assy, Black, Black $143.23

Hood and grille, Hood and components, Hood, Hood $576.94

Roof, Sunroof, Glass panel, Glass panel $592.48

Windshield, Glass, Glass, Lexus, Lexus $1,230.63

Windshield, Reveal moldings, Reveal molding, Reveal molding $69.25

Hood and grille, Hood and components, Emblem, Chrome, Chrome $26.21

Hood and grille, Hood and components, Support assy, Support assy Back $90.54 X 2

PLUS whatever parts that need to be painted and blended to match the rest of the cars paint so good luck!
Old 11-14-09, 06:39 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Glad you are okay.

But i think your car is a write off, depending how hard it hit, the a-pillars might need to be looked at, since they ultimately have more to support since the car does have a sunroof.

GL with this!
Old 11-15-09, 12:30 AM
DixonPai
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

glad your okay man, dame that sucks, hope insurance pays for it
Old 11-15-09, 09:37 AM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to hear you guys are all right. Damn sucks bro what happened to you and your car. Sounds like you may have hit something, like maybe an animal or something to cause the grill to shatter and the hood to pop up like that. When you release the hood latch from inside, it pops the hood, but you still have to unlatch it from the front, under the hood. So Im thinking, something hit your front grill with enough force to damage the hood lock and latch and causing the hood to fling up enough that the wind force caused your hood to raise up and smash back on your windshield. I hope you can get it repaired, but according to the numbers Ariyanna posted, sounds like the insurance might right it off. Good luck to you bro and hope for the best.

Last edited by angmedic91; 11-17-09 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-15-09, 10:53 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

That could have ended up so much worse. I am blown away that happened. Have you ever had a front end collision with the car and had it repaired. I have never heard of such a thing outside of 40 year old American cars
Old 11-16-09, 07:18 AM
stvincent
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

glad no one got hurt.. this happened to my bro once.. hood wasn't closed properly and black out all of sudden.. sorry about your car, gl with the repair.
Old 11-16-09, 08:58 AM
Pyroibw
Pole Position

wow, im buying a new latch, lol

glad your alright, but your car is totaled, you can just get a new es for the price of the fix.
Old 11-16-09, 08:56 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hahaha this is biggest bulls***** thing I saw right away, perhaps there's more:

Windshield, Glass, Glass, Lexus, Lexus $1,230.63

haha Excellent Pittsburgh glass, installed professionally, would only come to a total of $250

Secondly, thanks for posting this --- so ... you're the one who killed my dog the other night! just kidding. but seriously, your story is a little creepy. were you drunk? did you check to see if you struck you know A PERSON? LOL + Cringe

glad you and your friend are in good health.
your car will not be the same, get a new one if you want the real nice car experience.
Old 11-16-09, 10:44 PM
Ariyanna
Lead Lap

That price is just for the glass from Lexus stealership!
Old 11-17-09, 12:23 AM
Pyroibw
Pole Position

those prices are insane, but thats a dealership for you.
Old 11-17-09, 03:44 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by angmedic91
Glad to hear you guys are all right. Damn sucks bro what happened to you and your car. Sounds like you may have it something, like maybe an animal or something to cause the grill to shatter and the hood to pop up like that. When you release the hood latch from inside, it pops the hood, but you still have to unlatch it from the front, under the hood. So Im thinking something hit your front grill with enough force to damage the hood lock and latch and causing the hood to fling up enough that the wind force caused your hood to raise up and smash back on your windshield. I hope you can get it repaired, but according to the numbers Ariyanna posted, sounds like the insurance might right it off. Good luck to you bro and hope for the best.
+1 on your analysis, had to have been a good size "something" to damage that hood latch Good Luck bro !
Old 11-17-09, 12:23 PM
htowns
Driver School Candidate

Happened to me before, it was because the hood wasn't closed tight. Sucks, but luckily you're okay!

Quick Reply: what the hell?!?!?!?