ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Black Paint....

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-02, 01:49 PM
blux
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black Paint....

Read about the black paints not having a clear coat. Mine sure doesnt, paint rubs off when you wax it. I need to get my trunk and hood painted, they are in bad shape. Any ideas on where to send it? Think macco will do a good job (lol)...I was thinking of sanding them both down and painting myself but I worried about the color matching....
Old 05-03-02, 08:03 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Paint

Your Black should have a clear coat on it. If for some reason the car was repainted and did not have a clear coat reapplied then you need to have one put on. I have seen some photos from a guy on here who got a $400 Macco job and he says it is great. I don't have a lot of money right now, otherwise I would have my car painted too. I wouldn't recommend painting it yourself though.
Old 05-03-02, 08:16 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Watch out for cheap shops. You get what you pay for. I saw some guy at work paint his car and they painted everything including the entire radiator, exhaust, wheel wells,etc.

Also those cheap shops will not prepare the surface well and will just paint over whatever is there.

It costs alot to paint a car right. Expect $7-11k to repaint the whole car professionally. Paint it a different color and they have to take almost everything in the car out.

There are some good shops though who will paint the car for only $4k.

And yes the older SC400s do not have a clearcoat. If you see a 202 on the drivers side door sticker then you do not have it. Any touchup paint or repaint afterwards would though.
Old 05-03-02, 08:32 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Default Paint

The guy who got the Macco Paint said that they painted under the hood, and in the doorjams, and removed the emblems to paint. He said that they removed all of the old paint first and he got a warrantee on it so that if anything happens, they will repaint the entire car again for free. And if you want to go big, it was going to cost me $3000 to have my car completely repainted with no detection of a repaint. This was not at Macco for this price.
Old 05-03-02, 11:29 PM
TheBigGuyRy
Driver

Gainer, is that your original paint job? It's an awesome color, and it matches the bottom color too, it's quite cool looking.
Old 05-04-02, 09:20 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Black Paint....

Originally posted by blux
Read about the black paints not having a clear coat. Mine sure doesnt, paint rubs off when you wax it. I need to get my trunk and hood painted, they are in bad shape. Any ideas on where to send it? Think macco will do a good job (lol)...I was thinking of sanding them both down and painting myself but I worried about the color matching....

Where are you in MN? I live in southern MN, kinda halfway between the Cities and Rochester. Sorry to hear about your hood and trunk. Wish I could help you out, there's a guy down here I trust but he wouldn't be real cheap either, and you probably wouldn't want to come down here and leave your car for awhile anyway, there'd be someone closer.
Old 05-04-02, 01:13 PM
blux
Pole Position

I live north of the cities, north of roseville.
Old 05-04-02, 05:34 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Yeah, it's my original paint job. I would like to get my car to be black and have the gray painted black too. Make it look executive. Then get some nice ground effects to make it look lower to the ground. The paint job on my car is in great condition now though, and I wash it a lot. I hate my car being dirty. Even though you can't see it really well on the gold. So I don't care about black showing dirt more, my dad has had all Black LEXUS and I love it. Although if I changed the color to black, I would want silver emblems
Old 05-05-02, 09:21 AM
mcelligott
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by EGainer
I would like to get my car to be black and have the gray painted black too
There's a guy in my area (dayton, oh) who's got a 93 es, all black exterior/black leather interior. It's gotta be the coolest stock ES300 i've seen.
Old 05-06-02, 04:27 AM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

That's awesome. But I bet his car gets ot in the sun. Need to use those window shades all the time.
Old 05-06-02, 11:03 AM
BigRich
Pole Position

Default It just so happens..

That my 93 is in the shop right now getting done. It was black and taupe on the outside(like most are) and I have the all black inside. I'm going to uf right now in gainesville fla. and that car gets hot as a *****! even with the limo tint. Like after class when the car's been sitting for a couple hours, I open them doors and WOW HEAT! Anyway I was toying with the idea to paint it all taupe like lexpushers but then said naww just gonna paint the whole thing black. I HATE THAT TAUPE AT THE BOTTOM! But in a week or so, no more taupe for me! Anyway my insureance is paying for most of it because my car got keyed really bad. I had to throw in a few extra dollars though, I have a few things I want done extra! Plus I'm looseing the gold and going with the chrome emblems. One cool thing about me cracking that taillight is that on my year car the "es300" sits in a little groove on the tail light and then new one I got is chrome!
Old 05-06-02, 12:42 PM
blux
Pole Position

my lex is a black on grey, interior black coach edition. IT GETS HOT in the sun...even if its 50 deg and the sun is out...its like unbarable...damn... (random rant)
Old 05-06-02, 02:49 PM
zexen
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

lol. blux, it's even worse down in tx. it's burnin up in the summers and with my dad's interior black leather, and absolutely no tint (been bugging m dad to get some). If you haven't already, i'd advise any person with black leather to go buy some leather protector stuff. my dad's leather is starting to split. both on the back seat. one in the actual seat, and another up on the top. my mom got scared after that (it used to be hers) and decided to get some leather protector stuff for her new Lexus when she got it. it's scarily hot down here in tx. i'm sure ya'll know that.
Old 05-06-02, 03:56 PM
TheBigGuyRy
Driver

How does one go about getting their windows tinted, anyhow?
Old 05-06-02, 06:37 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

lots of places do it. an estimate for my car was $400 or so. for all windows tinted, here in NC the legal limit is 35% black. so i would get that on the front, and maybe darker on the back windows.

Quick Reply: Black Paint....