ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

changed your dash speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-02, 07:18 PM
j2tha0e
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changed your dash speakers?

i'm wondering what size the speakers are in the dash. those speakers were eliminated in the 97 and up models.
i thought they were 3 1/2, but naw. thats hecka big.
EGainer, i know you got an answer for me.
Old 05-06-02, 08:21 PM
1loudlex
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Default I got an answer for ya!!

The size is a 3 inch speaker. They do not make them for that size in an aftermarket speaker that I could find. I just took them out and put my hyperblue l.e.d.s in underneath the grill for my alarm. If you can find them then go ahead and let us know. You could also cut some stuff and fit the 3 and a half in there also.

Adam " Lexist "
Old 05-07-02, 12:38 AM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

this might sound dumb, but are the dash speakers the ones up front by the windshield where you can't really get your hand under?
Old 05-07-02, 04:38 AM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, they are 3 and a half inch speakers. When I replaced them though, I went for tweeters instead. Because I am looking for some high sound up there too. And 3.5 just don't do any good sound. So make better use out of tweeters. When you get the cover up, you have to use a right angle drill to loosen the bolts to get the old speaker out, and when you get it out. You will see that it will be in horrible looking condition. I stuck tweeters in there and now my voices are awesome since I have 4 tweeters in the front.
Old 05-07-02, 10:00 AM
j2tha0e
Pole Position

actually, i bought a 3 1/2 two-way speaker by infinity. so i think it was a good deal. i wanted the highs, but i also needed to fill in that mid resonance i used to hace before i tore that speaker out.
i changed all my speakers, and left the dash ones. those little dash speakers made all my other ones sound like ******. so...since i didn't have the right tools at the time, i just ran a screwdriver around the cone. haha. quick fix, and worked hecka, but i miss that sound from my factory system... now, it's all bass.
Old 05-08-02, 04:25 AM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Did you install an amp for all of your speakers? So the speakers in the dash, you did or did not change them?
Old 05-08-02, 09:24 AM
j2tha0e
Pole Position

you did or did not change them?
i guess it took some thought driving to work to realize, hey...the speakers in the car right now are 3" but i can always take off that metal bracket that's holding it in.
it worked. i got my 3 1/2" to fit. SOUNDS GREAT!

hey EGainer, i'm like you. all my speakers except my sub are on the factory amp. i will be getting the wiring diagrams for the amp, and i'll bypass it with an aftermarket one. i need it anyway, i'd like to use the crossovers my front speakers came with. i don't know if you did the install youself, but the door speakers are crossed over at the amp.
Old 05-08-02, 12:59 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Sounds great. If you can get that diagram in, maybe I will put my amp in myself. Instead of getting someone to do it for me. I didn't install my own speakers. I just watched the guy do it all. So I was there, just not doing any of the work. yeah, I forgot to mention the metal bracket thing. Sorry about that. That probably could have gotten you through that quicker.
Old 05-09-02, 09:12 AM
CoolGuy
Driver School Candidate

Default 98 ES300 Subwoofer Replacement

I know you guys were talking about door speakers, so I was hoping you might be able to tell me what to do about my subwoofer. I still have the factory sub, 8" or 10" I think. Looked on the back and it said 2 Ohms... Anyway - Can you reccommend a good replacement speaker? Would like to keep the factory Amp (i know, pretty lame...) How do I remove the old sub?

Thanks!
Old 05-09-02, 01:15 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Do you have the regular stereo system or the upgrade. If you have the Nakamichi Upgrade then you should buy a Nakamichi subwoofer to replace your old one. Otherwise, get a Pioneer subwoofer to match it. If you are going for the major thump, get audiobahn, rockford, or mtx. If you want it to sound how it used to, get the pioneer or nakamichi
Old 05-09-02, 01:31 PM
CoolGuy
Driver School Candidate

Default Subwoofer replacement

Thanks - I do have the Pioneer stock system. And the existing factory sub still works, but I'm not pleased with it. It has that "boomy" sound and doesn't do well with the 60-100 Hz mid base. I'm looking for something hard hitting. I hear that free-air subs may be the way to go... Would like to stay with the factory amp. Not wanting to blow the doors off here, just get a good solid base sound all the way down to 50 Hz.
Old 05-10-02, 07:58 AM
j2tha0e
Pole Position

the sub in your car is an 8 inch.
nakamichi dosen't make speakers.
the factory sub amp is only pushing 35w RMS so either get a really low rated free air sub or sorry...gonna have to go with an aftermarket amp.
aftermarket always sounds better anyway.
check the Electronics section. there should be more about the subs.
Old 05-10-02, 08:00 AM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

nakamichi makes subs. i know a guy who has some.
Old 05-10-02, 10:29 AM
j2tha0e
Pole Position

nakamichi makes subs. i know a guy who has some.
you know dood, i had no idea nakamichi made car speakers.
i've spent hecka money on infinity and i could've gotten nak?! i went on the web site but there are no prices.
thanks EGainer for the head up.
Old 05-10-02, 08:52 PM
01M3
Rookie

It was posted that your factory amp is pushing 35w RMS, it is actually pushing 35w MAX, probably around 10w RMS. My aftermarket sony is 50w MAX, and only 22w RMS, so there is no way the factory is more than that

Quick Reply: changed your dash speakers?