ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

ES300 wont Start in the mornings

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-09, 05:39 AM
ourmethod
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES300 wont Start in the mornings

Hey guys,

I am new to this forum, but i been running into a serious problem with my 94 lexus es300. I just recently purchased it 2 weeks ago. The day after thanksgiving i go to turn on the car and it cranks but doesnt start. I took it to a general mechanic thats a relative and they checked everything that would cause that problem. I had changed the fuel pressure regulator because it went bad. But everyday the car was there in the morning with wouldnt start but come around noon-3pm it starts and runs like nothing happened. After several days there i took it to another relative that specializes in car electronics. He check every sensor and anything that could be the problem. Same thing happened it start in the after noon. But the next day he came in and the car started but he has a closed garage. We ended up replacing the ECM or ECU on it figuring it was it. I took the car home and this morning same thing happened the car would not turn over.

I really dont know what else to thing. i hear alot of people say that its a relay thats under the glove box of the car. But I dont know if that could be it.

Thanks in advance, also let me know if anyone else is having this problem.

The car is located in Miami, FL
Old 12-04-09, 08:19 AM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

That sounds confusing. When your relative had the car, what was missing when it would not start? Did it not have a injector pulse,spark. or fuel pressure? In order to troubleshoot a no start condition, you must determine what component is missing. I would not recomend swapping parts / relays because other people say.... You need to find out what is missing and then proceed to the next logical step. You have not provided enough information to troubleshoot this problem.
Old 12-04-09, 09:36 AM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This issue sounds sort of familar. Im no expert on cars, but I think someone on CL with an ES also, had this same issue with it not starting when it was cold and when the day warmed up it would start and the problem came out to be the starter. I had a similar problem, but in reverse, and with a Nissan Sentra. My car would start when it was cold or warm, but once the heat of the day or the heat from the engine got high, it would not start if I turned off the car and tried to start it again.
Old 12-04-09, 10:27 AM
ourmethod
Driver School Candidate

Nothing was missing from the car. They both did thier own test mecanically and electrical dignostics. they checked if each cylinder was firing, fuel flow, fuel pump, battery, sensors, MAP, No codes throught the computer, etc.

I am not doing anything else to it unless i know what the real problem is. I am not going to pour more money into it for a maybe and have the same problem the next day.

Originally Posted by GEORGE_JET
That sounds confusing. When your relative had the car, what was missing when it would not start? Did it not have a injector pulse,spark. or fuel pressure? In order to troubleshoot a no start condition, you must determine what component is missing. I would not recomend swapping parts / relays because other people say.... You need to find out what is missing and then proceed to the next logical step. You have not provided enough information to troubleshoot this problem.
Old 12-04-09, 11:34 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If it cranks whether it is cold or warm, then it can't be your starter or ignition switch.

It can be but not limited to the followings:
- fuel system (pump, clogged / leaking lines, injectors)
- ignition coil, igniter, distributor, spark plugs, spark plug cords
- MAF
Old 12-04-09, 12:33 PM
ourmethod
Driver School Candidate

It only cranks in the morning when its cold or humid. But completly turns on in the afternoon when its warm outside. All of what you mentioned has been checked and rechecked.

Originally Posted by BDSL
If it cranks whether it is cold or warm, then it can't be your starter or ignition switch.

It can be but not limited to the followings:
- fuel system (pump, clogged / leaking lines, injectors)
- ignition coil, igniter, distributor, spark plugs, spark plug cords
- MAF
Old 12-04-09, 12:51 PM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

In order for the car to start and run, you need compression, spark, fuel pressure, and injector pulse. Compression would not disapprear and then re-apear. So it must be one of the other things. They need to check for spark, fuel pressure and injector pulse while the syptoms are present. One of these things are not present when it refuses to start.
Old 12-04-09, 07:08 PM
Gerson
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your Idle Air Control Valve...it could be just dirty or have gone bad. I have a friend that works with me at Toyota and had a similar issue on his 2001 ES300 w/ the dual T.B's and 1MZ VVT-i v6. It cranks but will no idle in cold mornings as well ended up being that and a coil pack. Now running better. Check that out 1st rather than throwing parts that will not remedy your issues.
Old 12-06-09, 02:42 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah gerson's right. temp changes kill coils and can make them intermittent. iacv is also temp related thanks to wax, not dirty/clog, it might have failed so. the other thing it might be is a bad battery. another thing it might be is a coolant temp sensor. another thing it might be is a cold start injector. another thing is might be is that children are putting a potato in your muffler every morning and a large groundhog comes and takes it away around noon.
Old 12-07-09, 06:36 AM
ourmethod
Driver School Candidate

Funny coolpass. Well i checked out the IACV on friday and still nothing. There is no problem with the ignition and i am checking the coils today. But i have someone that is telling me that its the crankshaft sensor. Hes not reading it at all on his computer. but now its been a few days and its been cold outside since friday and it hasn't started at all. So we will see if its that sensor, just to try but if its not it then the sensor is going back.
Old 12-07-09, 07:53 AM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ourmethod
Nothing was missing from the car. They both did thier own test mecanically and electrical dignostics. they checked if each cylinder was firing, fuel flow, fuel pump, battery, sensors, MAP, No codes throught the computer, etc.

I am not doing anything else to it unless i know what the real problem is. I am not going to pour more money into it for a maybe and have the same problem the next day.
So now you are saying that it is missing the crankshaft signal when it would not start? But yet each cylinder was firing? RIGHT! I would suggest getting another mechanic. He does not have a clue what the implications of not having a crankshaft signal on a DIS ignition system is? Good luck!
Old 12-07-09, 09:25 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

probably a intermittent fuel pump problem, battery, spark plug wires/ignition coil, or rats. but i agree with you george jet
Old 12-07-09, 03:13 PM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by llcoolpass
probably a intermittent fuel pump problem, battery, spark plug wires/ignition coil, or rats. but i agree with you george jet
I'm thinking that it has more to do with the crankshaft signal. According to ALLDATA, 94 was the first year they used a direct fire ignition. So without a distributor, the cam and crank sensors are critical. But if it took 10 posts to find out that the crankshaft signal is missing I don't see the point. It's hard enough to try troubleshoot over the internet, but when they decide what information to post, and what to leave out it is not worth my time.
Old 12-12-09, 02:02 PM
ourmethod
Driver School Candidate

Ok guys just to let you know it was a cracked crankshaft sensor. the moment that it was put in the car started right up.

Originally Posted by GEORGE_JET
I'm thinking that it has more to do with the crankshaft signal. According to ALLDATA, 94 was the first year they used a direct fire ignition. So without a distributor, the cam and crank sensors are critical. But if it took 10 posts to find out that the crankshaft signal is missing I don't see the point. It's hard enough to try troubleshoot over the internet, but when they decide what information to post, and what to leave out it is not worth my time.
Old 12-13-09, 12:35 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

seriously a common thing to check for on obd2 cars especialy. i cant believe i didn't say that. must be your fault. haha but seriously the sensor, the wire the plug are reasons for this. glad it's fixed.

Quick Reply: ES300 wont Start in the mornings