ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Opnions on this 2000 ES300?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-09, 09:30 AM
DK Audio
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think I'm being too picky. This is only the second ES that I've looked at and I told him you could consider it sold unless something unforeseen comes about.

The first ES had some issues that the seller didn't disclose and i wasen't impressed with how the car drove (my 97 ES drove way better).

I will search online to try and get a carfax report.

Thanks

By the way the car doesn't have heated seats Why would someone pay extra for the platinum edition and not get heated seats? That is the only thing the car doesn't have for the year.
Old 12-13-09, 12:10 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Audio
I don't think I'm being too picky. This is only the second ES that I've looked at and I told him you could consider it sold unless something unforeseen comes about.

The first ES had some issues that the seller didn't disclose and i wasen't impressed with how the car drove (my 97 ES drove way better).

I will search online to try and get a carfax report.

Thanks

By the way the car doesn't have heated seats Why would someone pay extra for the platinum edition and not get heated seats? That is the only thing the car doesn't have for the year.
regardin the seats. I am sure there is a matter of adding on the switch, i am sure the car would be wired up for it. Just pop the panel off and see the mini harnesses going to it. And you would probably find the actual switched on eBay used or something.

It looks good though, and i am jealous it has the one thing i want [OEM HIDs] without losing the one thing i like [woodgrain wheel]
Old 12-13-09, 01:00 PM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I strongly recomend getting a inspection, I think that you are putting too much faith in a carfax report. Carfax will tell you some of the major problems, but here is still many major things that do not get reported.
Old 12-13-09, 01:22 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GEORGE_JET
I strongly recomend getting a inspection, I think that you are putting too much faith in a carfax report. Carfax will tell you some of the major problems, but here is still many major things that do not get reported.
Carfax is junk. I ran it on my own car and it did not pull up 100% of the things that should have been on there.

And here in Canada, there have been quite a few exposes on the issue with actual people and terrible results.

Respectively its a good start, but as the OP suggest @ 30$ I would personally spend that money to take it to a shop to go over it really quickly.
Old 12-13-09, 02:38 PM
DK Audio
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
regardin the seats. I am sure there is a matter of adding on the switch, i am sure the car would be wired up for it. Just pop the panel off and see the mini harnesses going to it. And you would probably find the actual switched on eBay used or something.

It looks good though, and i am jealous it has the one thing i want [OEM HIDs] without losing the one thing i like [woodgrain wheel]
You think the seats have the resistive wire in them already and it would just be a matter of getting power and a switch to them?

I know carfax shouldn't be the deciding factor in purchasing a car. The reason I really wanted it was because there was no timing belt replacement sticker in the engine bay and if it was done at a dealer, carfax should have it on there. Right now I am pretty much taking his word that the timing belt, water pump, and tensioners were done.
Old 12-13-09, 06:56 PM
stbradle
Driver School Candidate

Default Carfax for you

Here's the carfax...fyi, timing belt, etc...would never be shown on carfax, yet carfax should still be a major decision helper. BTW, that lex has quite a history, whoa!

Here's the link to get the accident report...https://www.vectrareports.com/ACCRep...BF28G3Y0277546
Attached Files

Last edited by stbradle; 12-13-09 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-13-09, 08:34 PM
DK Audio
Pole Position

Thank you stbradle! I can paypal you for your troubles, PM me.

The seller did tell me it was a AZ car and was in a minor accident. The guy who is selling it now has only had it since August, he loves the car but is quite tall and his legs hit the door and center console when he drives making it very uncomfortable.

As far as the timing belt being on a Carfax...I was looking at some Lexus' at dealerships and the timing belt was on many of those. Some of the reports went into detail what the service was. For example in this report it says hood prop rod replaced at 52,XXX miles...

Wow, the car was repoed too...
Old 12-13-09, 09:11 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

The seller did tell me it was a AZ car and was in a minor accident. The guy who is selling it now has only had it since August, he loves the car but is quite tall and his legs hit the door and center console when he drives making it very uncomfortable.

As far as the timing belt being on a Carfax...I was looking at some Lexus' at dealerships and the timing belt was on many of those. Some of the reports went into detail what the service was. For example in this report it says hood prop rod replaced at 52,XXX miles...

Take this opportunity to lowball him based upon the 'structural damage' thing. Mine has a rebuilt/salvage title, but drives like it should.

Oftentimes than not, a simple fender bender qualifies as this too, which is the case with my car. The fender and door were mangled as well as the hood dented, etc but fixed properly, and carfax said that it was structural damage, even though it wasn't.

Oh well.
Old 12-14-09, 07:23 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Are those even the plat edition wheels? i thought they looked different, i would find something else.
Old 12-14-09, 12:25 PM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

He is too tall to comfortably drive it? How much has he grown in three months? But if he is advertising on craigslist, he must be legit.
Old 12-16-09, 01:40 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't want to sound like an a$$, but you would be straight up stupid to buy this car. Don't jump into anything. It took me 6 months to find the right Lexus. I have stated before that a Lexus is only a Lexus if the service has been kept up. Otherwise you can expect it to be as reliable as a Chevy. I followed you in the GS fourums, and that is the car you should buy. The ES is the entry level sedan, so people who bought these new don't always treat them as a Lexus should be treated.
Old 12-16-09, 09:48 PM
dpgc562
Rookie

Originally Posted by COOLIS
I don't want to sound like an a$$, but you would be straight up stupid to buy this car. Don't jump into anything. It took me 6 months to find the right Lexus. I have stated before that a Lexus is only a Lexus if the service has been kept up. Otherwise you can expect it to be as reliable as a Chevy. I followed you in the GS fourums, and that is the car you should buy. The ES is the entry level sedan, so people who bought these new don't always treat them as a Lexus should be treated.
COOLIS is absolutely right. A Lexus is a Lexus if only the maintenance service has been kept up. I've been searching for a GS430 for about 11 months now and still haven't found the right one; still looking as of right now.

Last edited by dpgc562; 12-18-09 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-18-09, 06:46 PM
Gator325
Driver School Candidate

OP, I would check out Autotrader.com. You can find some decent ES 300s with the same miles as that car you looked at for around $6k. I'm currently looking for one, myself. Of course, you won't find a 10 year old car without blemishes, but I am having some success through Autotrader so you might want to check them out. I much prefer using it rather than craigslist.
Old 12-19-09, 10:24 AM
dpgc562
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gator325
OP, I would check out Autotrader.com. You can find some decent ES 300s with the same miles as that car you looked at for around $6k. I'm currently looking for one, myself. Of course, you won't find a 10 year old car without blemishes, but I am having some success through Autotrader so you might want to check them out. I much prefer using it rather than craigslist.
You can find a lot of good condition ES300s. I have a friend who has a like-new 2000 ES300 and his car is practically brand new. Cleanest car I've ever seen. It all depends on how much you want to pay and how much you're willing to spend.