ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Opnions on this 2000 ES300?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-09, 07:49 PM
DK Audio
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Opnions on this 2000 ES300?

I need to purchase another vehicle...Do you think this is a good deal? I'm going to go look at it tomorrow, I talked to him on the phone (sounded like an older gentleman) he said he would go down to $6,000. He also stated that all the maintenance has been done regularily, I will ask for records when I get there. Just looking for fellow ES owner's opinions.

I used to own a 97 ES300 but it was totaled in an accident. I'm going to sell my wifes car, give her my 99 Regal GS and I will keep whatever Lexus I choose to buy.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hn...497776007.html

Thanks for any opinions.
Old 12-06-09, 08:07 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Looks in good shape. If service is all up to date, i say pull the trigger.

The price is more than fair as well at that mileage, cheaper than eBay for cars of the same year with more mileage.

Other than that, like i said, fair price for a GREAT car, and color combo is nice

It has the HID headlights which is something i want!
Old 12-06-09, 08:49 PM
DK Audio
Pole Position

How do you know it has the HIDs? I know it was an option that year but he didn't mention it in the ad.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 12-06-09, 10:56 PM
SK1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^You turn on the head lights at night.
Old 12-07-09, 07:52 AM
DK Audio
Pole Position

Well, I looked at it. Had cosmetic flaws, check engine light was on, had original timing belt and water pump, etc. Guess I will keep looking...
Old 12-07-09, 10:05 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DK Audio
How do you know it has the HIDs? I know it was an option that year but he didn't mention it in the ad.

Thanks for the reply.
The headlights shape

You see the 'circle shape' and vs. the other cars that are an 'open' light. Hard to explain, but those are the OEM HID headlights.

Originally Posted by DK Audio
Well, I looked at it. Had cosmetic flaws, check engine light was on, had original timing belt and water pump, etc. Guess I will keep looking...
That's a shame. Well, respectively, it is impossible to find a car without flaws. The timing belt, etc, should be 500$ to do, and a proper detail will set you back 200$.

IMO, that is still more than fair for the car [based upon the pictures] since you would be getting it for <7k$, whereas, like i said before, the ones on eBay in similar shape go for 10k$ with +- 120k miles.

GL on the hunt.
Old 12-07-09, 10:48 AM
mmlex1987
Intermediate

My dailey driver is the 2000 ES 300, fortunately I purchased mine from my retired mother when upgraded. I absolutely love the vehicle and it is simply flawless as it has been "grandma" omned and driven since new, No KIDS drove it!!! I have 120K currently. It is my opnion you should keep looking, yes the check engine light could be something simple, that is if you get an honest service writer at a Lexus dealership, fortunately I have a good relationship at my local dealer as my godfather does all of their used car purchasing. I had my light come on last year and the car kinda went into limp mode. I was thinking the worst and it turned out to be an oil sensor for the VVT-i and the cost was less then $125 for diagnosis and repair. they did try and recommended some expensive cam gear replacement as a precaution, however, after mentioning my name, they said it would not be neccessary. Its a dirty shame that consumers have to be in fear of getting taken advantage of at the dealerships. I guess someone has to pay for those gorgeous multi-million dollar beautiful dealerships! just not me, I hope.. Keep looking. have you tried Craigslist? To be effectice you really have to check the listings dailey as it is different then ebay. I found my 04 RX on craigslist by accident from a private owner and I could not pass it up. "don't buy someone elses vehicle that has issues with your hard earned money. The right vehicle is out there. Good luck in your search....
Mike
Old 12-07-09, 11:25 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

^^ It's a private sale, off of craigslist. NOT a stealership...
Old 12-07-09, 08:51 PM
mmlex1987
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
^^ It's a private sale, off of craigslist. NOT a stealership...
Oops, I'm sorry. I did not catch the craigslist link in the first post.
Old 12-07-09, 10:08 PM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

Whichever car you decide to buy, take it to a trusted mechanic to be checked first. Unless you have a good knowledge of cars the money that you spend on a inspection is always a good idea.

The check engine light really has little bearing on the overall condition of the car. Something as small as a bad gas cap can set a evap leak code, and turn on the check engine light. A inspection should give you a un-biased opinion.

I do not recomend taking it to a dealership, as you probably already know, their hourly rate is almost twice what a independent shop charges. I used to work at a dealership and have firsthand knowledge of the different rate structures. People who take there cars there for non warranty repairs end up subsdizing the warranty and recall work, (you do not think that corporate Lexus re-emburses the dealership at the same hourly rate that you pay, if so quess again). Now it is true that independent garages do not have access to the most current software for the scanners, you are talking about a 10 year old car. it does not need the newest software update. And I would not even try to explain the ramifications of mechanics working for book hours at a dealership, other than to say that was one of the main reasons I decided that it was time to get out of auto repair.
Old 12-08-09, 05:57 AM
Sammm
Rookie

that price is a steal. cosmetically, i brought mine back from neglect to clean with a little tlc. no 10 year old car is going to be perfect. the check engine is probably something very simple like the others have said...mine had an o2 sensor go out at about that mileage. $150 to replace. the tbelt, wpump, drive belts, cams, tensioner, etc. will run about $700. these are great cars and will last to 300k mi if you take care of them. double check the maintenance records and go for it i say.
Old 12-12-09, 10:15 AM
DK Audio
Pole Position

I'm glad I passed it up because a guy emailed me yesterday out of the blue. It is a 2000 ES300 Platinum Edition...here is the link...

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ra...487413654.html

I emailed him weeks ago and he said it was $8K firm. His email yesterday stated that his new car is coming soon and he needs to sell it next week and would go down to $6,900! I talked to him on the phone and he seems like a good guy. The timing belt, water pump and tensioners were done at 92K and he said the car is cosmetically almost mint in and out. I am going to go look at it in about an hour.

I loved my 97 ES300, the only thing I wished was that it has faster acceleration. I know the 2000 has 10 more HP but I still wish they were quicker. If the car is nice I think I will buy it, I love the two tone leather and the wood!

I was about to pull the trigger on a 99' GS400 but insurance is high, it's RWD, had more miles, the car was over 2 hours away and the seller said he can't sell right now anyways.

Any opinions are welcome...
Old 12-12-09, 11:49 AM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like a well maintained car and the price seems reasonable now, if everything checks out, carfax and history of maintence checks out, I would pull the trigger and get it. Good Luck bro.
Old 12-12-09, 12:32 PM
DK Audio
Pole Position

The car ran nice. The front right strut area made a hollow thump type sound when going over some bumps. That is really my only concern, he said he would take it to his mechanic on Monday to find out what it is (he recently had some suspension work done). I am probably planning on buying it on Tuesday.

There were some cosmetic issues...
Trunk area had 2 scuffs that took off the paint, probably about the size of a half dollar. The front bumper had a 2" or so crack in it and the rear driver side door had a line of hail size dents, probably around 7-8. Other than that it was very clean and ran good.

There was no timing belt sticker in the engine bay so I am kind of concerned. He said the last owner said he did it at 92K but he didn't receive any receipts or records.

Does anyone have a carfax account to look up the car? I cannot believe it is $30 for one report! I can paypal you some money.

VIN JT8BF28G3Y0277546

Thanks

I just realized I don't think it had heated seats either, there were no buttons on the shifter console.

Last edited by DK Audio; 12-12-09 at 12:35 PM.
Old 12-12-09, 01:24 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

The car looks just like mine. Difference being my tint is different and i have different rims.

But weird how the console doesn't have the heated seat buttons.

This is the first car i see with the wood grain wheel and the HID's. I am jealous.

I have to ask, why are you expecting so much out of this car??

It is used, it will have flaws. It seems you are trying to get the best bang for the buck, which is spot on, but come on, you have to have the bar lowered a bit.

Its not like you are buying an 2005 LS430 or something.

the strut area is just the strut tower mounts being noisy and out of grease. To solve the problem you must replace it, or ignore it [i have been ignoring it for over a year now]. I do not see a point in paying someonethe labor for essentially full suspension work for simple mounts. If i get lowering springs this year, i will get it done given the occasion.

Buy it, drive it.

And for Carfax, google it, there are tons of free ways to do it, or through someone.

-Mike

Quick Reply: Opnions on this 2000 ES300?