ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Possible tranny problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-09, 11:16 PM
97'ES
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible tranny problem?

Been having an odd problem with the ES lately. It's actually occured on and off for the last 20k or so, maybe more but it's increasing in frequency lately. At highway speeds over about 50 mph the car seems to want to hold the revs to keep the torque converter locked even with my foot off the throttle, which keeps the car from slowing down enough when coasting. If i tap the brakes it will slightly decrease the rpm then jump slightly back up but not quite as high, but it seems to stay locked until i slow down, sometimes a quick jab at the throttle will cause it to go back to a normal coasting rpm at highway speeds in gear.

Under 50 mph i notice no problems whatsoever. If i slow down from highway speeds to a stop it seems to unlock at some point so the car never stalls or jerks.

Interesting part of the problem is if i shift into neutral under this condition it will rev up to about 3k and stay there, if i touch the brake it will come all the way back down to idle speed and then go back up to maybe 2400 rpm or so, and keep decreasing a bit every time i touch the brake, sometimes it will go back to idle speed and stay there while in neutral, hitting the throttle while in neutral has the same effect as the brake with it going down and back up.

The problem seems intermittent as well. Will happen a few days out of the week and sometimes for a few minutes or not at all but much more likely when it's well warmed up. Other then that the trans shifts very smoothly and there are no other apparent problems. It's quick in and out of shifting to reverse and drive and the fluid level is fine and looks good, i drain and fill about every 15k as i do a lot of in city driving.

i've thought perhaps the throttle blade was sticking due to carbon buildup(no garage currently and it's 20 degrees out so i can't screw with it right now, to my knowledge it's never been cleaned at 110k) but then wouldn't i be having problems at lower speeds as well, but seems it would explain the revving up in neutral? A sensor seems like a strong possibility as well but doesn't seem it could cause a throttling up on a car that uses a conventional throttle cable and not drive by wire. The cable seems to move freely from under the hood. i don't know where to start honestly.
Anyone have any ideas or similar problems? Seems to me if it was the torque converter i would also be having problems at lower speeds when it locks up say around 40 mph or it would cause stalling or bucking but it performs normally under these circumstances. Same problems occur at highway speeds in third gear with overdrive locked out as well. I do not see any obvious large vaccum leaks either. No CEL. No other driveability problems. i've been thinking could the EGR play a part in this at all? It was replaced about 6k ago as it was sticking open and i had a CEL. Any input?

Last edited by 97'ES; 12-11-09 at 02:50 AM. Reason: cause illcoolpass is a jerkoff
Old 12-11-09, 01:11 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how is it you can drive but not write something we can understand?

i'll tell you two things. Following the proper procedure, check the transmission fluid level and condition.
par⋅a⋅graph

 /ˈpærəˌgræf, -ˌgrɑf/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [par-uh-graf, -grahf] 1. a distinct portion of written or printed matter dealing with a particular idea, usually beginning with an indentation on a new line.
Old 12-11-09, 02:47 AM
97'ES
Driver

Yeah it's not in paragraph form professor jerkoff, no ****, thanks for pointing out the obvious as usual. I don't know what we'd do without you around here. Your grammar isn't usually too hot so maybe a bit of....gee i don't know... humility? It's also probably the best written description with all necessary information attempting to diagnose a problem i've seen on this site. I could have been like everyone else and said "hey guys my car is acting funny on the highway, silly stuff with the gauge next to the one that tells you the speed." I told you the level and fluid look good too.

Do you have anything relevant to say or do you just get a kick out of being a jerkoff online? Even so there would be about 3 seperate ideas unless one sentence paragraphs strike your fancy. I'll fix it a bit to to appease your simplistic mind that is boggled by no indentations evidently.

Last edited by 97'ES; 12-11-09 at 03:03 AM.
Old 12-11-09, 04:27 AM
97'ES
Driver

Anyway, I've been doing some reading and it looks like the TPS could possibly be the culprit. Though one would think a CEL would have illuminated. Also no stumbling or other problems, just won't return to idle easily on the highway. Occasional slightly high idle though while parked, so i'll hit it with the volt meter and see whats up or just replace it. Looks easy enough, and they are quite cheap.

If anyone has any other constructive ideas I'd love to hear them. I'm sure im not the only one to ever run into this problem as my car is well maintained. Ahh, the joys of using an automotive forum as it was intended instead of post whoring and berating people with less knowledge then yourself. Priceless.........
Old 12-11-09, 07:00 AM
dviles
Driver School Candidate

I have had issues with my TPS, it wouldnt fall to idle in neutral and a few other little things like it would 'stall' when reverse was selected, so i just swapped out the whole setup, throttle, sensor, afm, and it hasnt missed a beat in 10k. My money is on the TPS.