ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Struts and Shocks for 94 ES300

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-09, 08:07 AM
Jodwin
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Struts and Shocks for 94 ES300

Can someone direct me where a good place to buy online for my shocks or struts? I need to get some for the back of my car anytime I go over any bump my car basically bottoms out...... Thanks.
Old 12-15-09, 05:22 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bottoming out is not the struts per se. been there. it is more likely worn out springs and lack of or deteriorated bump stop, and you might also have wornout struts or leaking struts.

I rec getting KYB struts, toyota lower spring isolators, toyota bellows[1which is the thing that covers the strut piston from dust, 2which is integral to upper spring seat] toyota strut mount, KYB or Toyota bump stop [either is fine, KYB is harder and longer lasting and cheaper, comes with a bellows which you dont need if you follow my earlier advice to get the toyota bellows] and if you tend to have stuff in your trunk or many passengers or you're a hefty person, get moog/TRW hefty coils[partno: cc277], but if not then just get some new factory springs [but warning: they never were all that adequate especially once you have weight in the car, especially in the backseat or trunk] . if you were around here, Id show you what mine is like. it's great. and my car doesn't sag in the back even with 175lb of stuff in my trunk, unlike other similar age/mileage es 300 without even anything in the trunk. I drive everyday with that much weight in car [and then some] so I would know and would tell you if it caused any problems at all.

the problem then, once the rear is good, any problems in the front [springs, struts, worn parts, bump stops] become apparent. that's my next thing once I got the money, but its not killer issue like the backs were.

I kid you not, I drove with over 1000lbs in the car, NEVER a noise or anything. surely never bottomed out in the back -- this after what I just rec do you was done by me personally. and I made sure to test it ;-)

I can give you part no for everything. The thing is too that some 94 have replaceable strut inserts, but definitely all 95+ dont ... but once you get the KYB you will be strut insert capable. I'm not sure at the moment if you have to do this, but getting the parts by doing year 1993 should guarantee you have less problems [because of that switch over deal].

you can try not putting in springs, and just hope your new bump stop [and to lesser extent, struts] take care of things. but, remember what I said about weight and the stock ones not being anything more than barely adequate for any kind of additional weight...... and the moog dont make the car uncomfortable. its actually great because you never ever could make the rear bottom out. they are progressive springs like the stock ones, but they dont have that huge amount of pillow like resistance for the first several inches like the stock ones. so the rear struts will actually last longer with the moog and your car will have better control.

while in there, you should replace the rear stabilizer bar bushings, and the stab bar links.

any questions let me know. hopefully someone else sees this soon and backs me up on this like person slooooow or something to make sure I didn't make any mistakes. slooooooow knows the suspension on the various years pretty well, so he would be great confirmation of what I'm talking about.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...reference.html

Last edited by llcoolpass; 12-15-09 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-15-09, 05:52 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

heres some photos from install of mine

http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i7...0rear%20strut/

note, as the pictures show, i tried not replacing the springs, but that sucked so bad, so i tried the moogs/trw and had GREAT SUCCESS [borat voice]

if you do get the springs or for anyone else interested in knowing
about the trw vs moog. they are the SAME EXACT part [as verified by moog representative] and part number, the price might be different of a moog vs trw depending where you buy it, so obviously you should get the cheaper of the two.

does your rear ride height suffer? you can check it

Last edited by llcoolpass; 12-16-09 at 10:11 AM.