ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Just bought an ES300! Got a question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-09, 08:38 PM
mdpuff
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just bought an ES300! Got a question.

Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone here on this forum can help me out. We just added another Lexus to our fleet, (we now have 3!) it's a 99 ES300. Now the car comes with heated seats which are great to have up here in the great white north but the problem is they are either on or off, no Hi-Low settings. Now my question is can I upgrade the switch and or control module to the 2000 version that has Hi & Low or are we stuck with the Hi only that we have now. Our SC430's have fully adjustable temp settings that are just the cat's *** and would like to get some adjustment on the ES if possible. Thanks for any help you gat give me.
Old 12-21-09, 09:33 PM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 2000 has dual heating elements in the seat, the 99 has only one. So it would require a little more work than just replacing the switch. You would also need to replace the heating elements (this requires a little more experience, but it is not beyond the scope of a more advanced home mechanic).
For the amount of effort, and considering your location, I would consider converting to the sc430's system. It would be a little more work, but I am sure that the season you guys would use this is long enough to make it worthwhile.
Old 12-21-09, 11:15 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my 93 has dual , wow, i didnt know they sw to single in later years. i never got around to fixing mine though. i have the feeling mine has a common problem, i just never looked into it.

george jet is right, but, the work has to be done right, its very possible for fires and stuff in the seats or something like that from what i hear if you do any kind of weird short cuts fixing the seat heating element or changing it over to some other one. naturally its gotta be wired for two heating modes does it not? so, if that is affirmitve, then you can't just sw the seats or the switch from a MY2000, you have to change wiring. if not, then hell, try a junkyard.
Old 12-22-09, 08:25 PM
mdpuff
Driver

Thanks for the feed back, it's my wifes winter car and she loves the heated seats and so far doesn't mind if they don't adjust. Myself I would like it if there was more than one setting but for the amount I drive it I'm not too worried about it, just thought if it was a simple mod I would do it.
Thanks anyway!!
Old 12-24-09, 07:06 AM
Limen
Pole Position

Yeah, I would say its prolly not worth all the work that would have to go into doing that. My heated seat seems to get hotter on my left butt cheek than my right