ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

changing to synthetic

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-09, 12:12 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

You really should stick to Synthetic. You can't beat Synthetic in terms of protection for you engine. No comparison to Dino Oil.

Don't worry, you will not have any leaks, and your engine will thank you for it, by lasting much longer.

My first choice for this car would be Mobil-1 5W30. Also Make sure to always use original Lexus Oil Filters, and NO OIL ADDITIVES of any kind

Go for it, and you will never look back

Phil
Old 12-25-09, 01:20 AM
97'ES
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

M1 EP or amsoil, your welcome.

Synthetics are more resistant to thermal breakdown than ALL conventional oils. Using it in the H-D is very wise as this is even more important in an air cooled engine. I still use Dino in mine though as it needs a rebuild and Burns a lot but I will switch. I use it in the tranny and primary now. Good amount of zinc is very important when temps get very high as it bonds to the metal. Somewhat akin to what lactic acid does for your muscles when oxygen is in short supply.

I've seen M1 EP clean out the bottom end of my 1mz when I changed the oil pan. I was amazed. I even run it in the honda lawnmower and snowblower and change it basically never. 7500mile intervals with a M1 filter for about 50k on the lex and it has about 110k now.

But hey, do what u want cause your going to anyway right .......

BTW rear vcg has leaked slightly for the same amount of time, the switch made no difference, but that's just me.
Old 12-25-09, 01:26 AM
97'ES
Driver

Originally Posted by Mike DeAno
I also am thinking of switching to syn in my ES as I just recently did in my RX. I am confused:
-Should I be concerned with some of your thoughts on vcg possible leaking. What is that and why may it be more noticeable with syn vs. conventional? Is that because of sludge from conventional slowing the leak?
No its not the sludge LOL. The molecular arrangement of synthetic vs. Dinosaur is the difference. Synthetic gets through a hole easier if you will.
Old 12-25-09, 09:34 AM
mmlex1987
Intermediate

Thanks for the info. I probably will be using synthetic in my ES.
Old 12-25-09, 03:53 PM
97'ES
Driver

Sure, you wont be disappointed. The discerning eye and butt may even notice a slightly smoother idle and a slight increase in your MPG. Less friction is a good thing. Nice RX BTW I wouldn't mind one of those bad boys with the navigation one bit.
Old 12-25-09, 11:36 PM
mmlex1987
Intermediate

Thanks 97 ES. It seems after all these posts, I probably am doing a good thing by switching to Mobil 1!
Old 12-26-09, 12:00 AM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My first ES used dino oil for 167k miles with no problems until it got totaled in a collision and my current ES has been running dino oil for 236k with no problems. I change it every 3-4k miles. no sense in fixing something if its not broken IMO.
Old 12-26-09, 04:01 PM
ralfuller
Driver School Candidate

You won't be disappointed. I made the switch at 114k a year and a half ago. I now have 143k and no leaks or problems of any kind. When I made the switch I didn't even realize there was this much controversy about it. I just did it because I didnt want to have to change my oil so often driving as mush as I do and because of the less friction aspect which is obviously good for any engine. You will notice a little smoother idling if you are really in tune with your car because as we know the 1MZ-FE is rather smooth to begin with. Now I change my oil every 5k miles, but thats just be being a tad **** about the car that I love so much lol; 7.5k is as far as I would recommend pushing it though.
Old 12-26-09, 06:00 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

7.5K isn't pushing dyno oil, let alone mobil 1. but there are certain and common situations where a dyno oil wuold be changed sooner. just look it up with google. engine analysis synthetic oil or something like that.
Old 12-26-09, 06:07 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Oh I remember one more reason i can't switch. Due to my warranty company.

They require a copy of the invoice and mileage that i have to mail to them at all important intervals, one of which being the oil every 3 mos./ 3k miles. So i wouldn't benefit form M1 just yet anyways, since i would be emptying it every 3 mos. best case scenario.
Old 12-26-09, 07:02 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they warranty only if you change the oil too soon, which has been proven to actually increase engine wear? I just love stories like that. So many warranties are like this, brand new car, owner's manual says 7500, warranty company doesn't care.
Old 12-26-09, 09:10 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by llcoolpass
they warranty only if you change the oil too soon, which has been proven to actually increase engine wear? I just love stories like that. So many warranties are like this, brand new car, owner's manual says 7500, warranty company doesn't care.
I do not make the terms, i abide by them in order to retain said Used Vehicle warranty.

I do just the right amount of driving, i drive it about ~2.5k miles over a 2 month period. Like i said, there is no point in me to go synthetic, and if the dino oil has served me well in -35 Celsius and below that on many occasions, it will serve me well for more years to come, i hope.
Old 12-27-09, 06:18 AM
Swampy11
Driver School Candidate

Default A good oil filter....

If you are going to change to synthetic oil, I would definitely upgrade the oil filter from the standard "good" Lexus oil filter to a "great" oil filter. I recommend PureOne by Purolator. They are truly outstanding and I think the best you can currently buy.
http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/...ilfilters.aspx
Check it out.
`swamp
Old 12-27-09, 10:03 AM
g8ts
Driver School Candidate

Swampy11,

I agree no matter what oil you use. I think your filter is more important!

See attached write-ups the one on oil filters is good. I use NAPA's filters now so I don't have to worry or guess who made it.

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfi...lterstudy.html

http://www.corolland.com/oil-filters.html
Old 12-28-09, 05:32 AM
Swampy11
Driver School Candidate

Here is a site I often use. Check it out.
http://www.bestcovery.com/best-oil-filter
`swamp

Quick Reply: changing to synthetic