ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Need ur help (2 questions with a pic)...

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-09, 10:24 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Need ur help (2 questions with a pic)...

Hi CL members i need ur help
1) steering wheel makes noise when i turn . The noise is like as if the power steering fluid is empty but its not. Its perfectly level. And this noise happens only during cold weathers. This happen like last year too n i showed it to lexus service center n they just like greased it or something.. but i guess its temporary. any suggestions?

2) The wheel paint is coming off when i was washing my car today. Is there anything i could do??heres the pic of it:
Attached Thumbnails Need ur help (2 questions with a pic)...-img_0516.jpg   Need ur help (2 questions with a pic)...-img_0517.jpg  
Old 12-26-09, 10:39 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and I have to ask, what year make and model you have?

what noise from power steering being low - be very specific
Old 12-27-09, 07:22 AM
imherenow
Racer

Its a 2000 Es300 with like 135000 Kilometers or 83885 miles.
The noise is like hmmm very rough kinda. U know how the noise would be if the power steering fluid is very low and you try to turn the steering wheel, it would make a noise. Its not a cracking sound tho. The dealership last time did was "lubed steering wheel shaft boot".
Old 12-29-09, 08:19 PM
mmlex1987
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The noise you are referring to in the cold has nothing to do with the boot/shaft squeak noises discussed in other threads. Is noise more obvious when the vehicle is very cold temps like close to zero and several minutes after the car is warmed up the noise begins to diminish?

The paint is not coming off your wheels, it is the aluminum oxidizing and deteriorating due to salt/age, etc.
Old 12-30-09, 07:20 AM
imherenow
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike DeAno
The noise you are referring to in the cold has nothing to do with the boot/shaft squeak noises discussed in other threads. Is noise more obvious when the vehicle is very cold temps like close to zero and several minutes after the car is warmed up the noise begins to diminish?

The paint is not coming off your wheels, it is the aluminum oxidizing and deteriorating due to salt/age, etc.
ya the noise is highest when i turn the wheel in cold temps but when its all warmed up its still there..but its less noise tho.

so what can i do to from any more re-deteriorating it. It looks bad on wheels
Old 12-30-09, 07:51 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by akabond
ya the noise is highest when i turn the wheel in cold temps but when its all warmed up its still there..but its less noise tho.

so what can i do to from any more re-deteriorating it. It looks bad on wheels
My wheels look identical to yours. I got my car 2 months ago and that's how they were. There are special places that will repair and repaint them but that's around $100.00 - $150 per wheel, (at least here in Montreal) plus the cost and trouble of removing the tires, re-installing, balancing, ect. This assumes that you have another set of wheels and tires that you can use while your wheels are being dealt with., Typically a few days. Not sure if this is really practical.

A good body shop can also do it while still on the car, but its a lot more work for them, since they have to do a lot of taping around the body, tires, etc.. and they can only do the front.

Probably the best thing, if you have the budget, is to pick up another good original set from a scrap yard, and use your existing wheels in winter.

As fort me, I am going to be dealing with this in the spring, and probably will go for the scrap yard option.

In the meantime, to mitigate the damages, scrape/sand off the loose flakes as much as you can, spray some matching color, followed by some clear coat, and finish it off with some wax. This at least should make them look somewhat better.

Phil
Old 12-30-09, 08:27 AM
mmlex1987
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Referring to your noise and the description you are providing, it would seem to be caused by either the pump or rack unit. I just did not think those problems were inherit with your Lexus. I forgot to ask, have you had the vehicle for a long time or did you just get the vehicle and the noise was present? Shot in the dark, but any damage that may have caused a pinched hose or anything like that?
Old 12-30-09, 08:45 AM
imherenow
Racer

hmm no the car is fine.. and it didnt come with noise offcourse or else i would not have purchased it (or fixed it right away) so this is like happening for like 1yr now. and never happens in summer time.If it was the pump or rack then the noise would still be present during summer too i would say
Old 12-30-09, 08:50 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by akabond
hmm no the car is fine.. and it didnt come with noise offcourse or else i would not have purchased it (or fixed it right away) so this is like happening for like 1yr now. and never happens in summer time.If it was the pump or rack then the noise would still be present during summer too i would say
Try the following procedure just incase you have some trapped air in the system: It costs nothing to try.

1) CHECK FLUID LEVEL, AND CHECH FOR BUBBLING OR FOAMING.
2) JACK UP FRONT OF VEHICLE AND SUPPORT IT WITH STANDS. (Alternatively, park the car on a very steep hill or driveway, with the front facing up.)
3) TURN STEERING WHEEL With the engine stopped, turn the wheel slowly from lock to lock several times.
4) LOWER VEHICLE
5) START ENGINE Run the engine at idle for a few minutes.
6) TURN STEERING WHEEL
With the engine idling, turn the wheel to left or right full lock and keep it there for2-3 seconds , then turn the wheel to the opposite full lock and keep it there for 2-3 seconds .
Repeat a several times.
7) STOP ENGINE

Phil

Last edited by PFB; 12-31-09 at 11:06 PM.
Old 12-31-09, 10:58 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brake fluid will eat through paint...must be a leak somewhere.

** Actually looks like the aluminum being oxidized as explained by the above poster**

Last edited by tuan92129; 12-31-09 at 11:02 PM.