ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Sub O2 Sensor & other issues...ECM????

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-10, 12:06 PM
someret
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Sub O2 Sensor & other issues...ECM????

That's what I'm worried about... Since i've had the car for the last two years the ABS light has been on (even after brakes were done at midas), the speedometer and the cruise control would quit working and then start again. Sometimes, the speedometer and cruise control wouldnt work for days and at other times jus for a few minutes.
In October, the O/D started blinking and it quit running. i charged teh battery and the car ran fine for about two days. It drove on the fwy just fine but when I got to surface streets and came to a stop sign, it died.
It sat for about a month and a half before I drove it again. i just put a new battery in this week. Like before it ran fine for a couple of days, and then it dies when it comes to a an idle. In order to drive it, I have to put it in neutral and then restart it and put it in Drive quickly.
This weekend after a "friend" looked at it... The AirBag light is now on, and I hear these clicking noises coming from my dash.
My automotive experience is very limited, and i've been trying to do a crash course with the service manual in pdf format.
Since the diagnostic code was 27, I thought I'd start with the O2 sensor first, but honestly, I'm really overwhelmed in trying to sort all of this out.
i have a sneaking suspicion, its the ECM... ALL HELP WELCOME
Old 01-04-10, 02:06 PM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

Code 27 is for the sub O2 heater circuit, and it would not cause the symptoms that you are describing. But the problem with having the Check Engine light on is that if there are any further codes, there would be no indication due to the fact the light is already on. Also if you live in a city in TX that requires smog checks, you would not pass.

I would first suggest putting the car on a charger to make sure the battery is fully charged, and then taking it to a major auto parts store and ask them to check the battery and alternator. Most auto stores will provide this service for free. Once you evaluate the charging system, and correct any issues, I would then start looking at the other issues with the electical system.

It sounds like there are several issues, and this will take awhile to work thru. I would suggest that if you park the car for much more than a week at a time, you should purchase a trickle charger for the battery. Harbor frieght has one for app $6, and does a good job of keeping the battery fully charged. Do not confuse the function of a battery charger, with a trickle charger. A trickle charger is good for keeping the battery fully charged durning periods of long storage. Many (but not all) battery chargers will overcharge a battery if left on for extended periods.
Old 01-04-10, 02:22 PM
someret
Driver School Candidate

i just bought a new battery a few days ago. Have a couple chargers to maintain the upkeep. Since there are several issues, its been a bit confusing as where to start. i've been suffering from information overload tryin to get all this stuff straight in my mind. thanks for helping to re-clarify my starting point. appreciate it.
Old 01-04-10, 06:15 PM
bigflippa
Driver School Candidate

i believe GEORGE_JET is right about the charging system. you should check to see if the alternator is good and at the same time take all the reading from the car's computer. the O2 sensors to me is the least of your problems.