ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Maaco Paint Job

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-02, 09:10 PM
TheBigGuyRy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maaco Paint Job

Ok this seems to be a pretty controversial issue.

I've been thinking about a paint job, and I really don't have 3 grand to lay down, but I really would love to have a black ES.

The more I think about it, how bad could a Maaco paint job be?

They have warranties offered... plus there was a guy on here who got his ES painted black at Maaco, and said they did a great job.

It's not like I'm driving a brand new ES or something, it's a 92, it's been around for awhile, dispite the low mileage. What do you all think?
Old 05-16-02, 09:17 PM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

as long as they have warranty, and have worked on Foriegn cars, I say go for it, I mean whats the worst that they could do? I doubt they would still be in business if they were that bad ya know, good luck with ur decision

ShOwGS
Old 05-16-02, 09:42 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about the fact that they(MAACO) would paint everything including all the trim which is supposed to be chrome. Your radiator, exhaust, and anything else you can think would be covered with paint or at least powdered with overspray. Any blemish that was there before would still be present since they do not prep the surface well. Your door jams, gas tank area, under the hood, and anything not on the outer surface will be the old color but with overspray of the new. Basically your ES would look worse than before and you will be kicking yourself and wanting to repaint it right. Especially when people comment on how ghetto your Lexus is (or laughing behind your back). Bad paint jobs are easy to see and it will stand out like a sore thumb.
Old 05-16-02, 11:03 PM
Nabeel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maaco did a bad job when they repainted the front fender and front spoiler of my other car. The paint is only 2-3 months old, yet it is already chipping and looks hastily done.
Old 05-16-02, 11:05 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Nabeel they probably didn't even dust the surface off before spraying.
Old 05-16-02, 11:22 PM
Nabeel
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, most likely. I definately won't reccomend Maaco to anyone. Much better to pay the premium and have a quality shop do the work.
Old 05-17-02, 04:04 AM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how much did you pay for your paint nabeel? the other guy paid $400 or so, he says they painted in the door jams and under the hood, and they removed the emblems and covered everything up. so they do all of those things that you say they don't. depending on the price of the paint job you get, would determine how much they do. ya know, i'll just find out and report to you guys so this can be over
Old 05-17-02, 08:11 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Also remember that each MAACO shop runs a little different and each painter, prepper works differently. I know plenty of people who send their beaters to that place before they sell them.
Old 05-17-02, 08:58 AM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

does MAACO even have metallic paint??? It'll prolly come out n a flat black which looks....ugly. I would assume they also don't clear coat it for $400. I would wait for a quality paint job myself.
Old 05-17-02, 11:22 AM
RacingAristo

Wow. Am I glad to check out this thread. I was actually thinking about repainting my GS too.
Old 05-17-02, 12:44 PM
Nabeel
Lexus Test Driver

I think I payed around $700 to get my front fender and spoiler/valance painted...a ripoff considering the quality of the work they did
Old 05-17-02, 01:40 PM
TheBigGuyRy
Driver

haha wow aren't you guys glad I started this thread? I'm so controversial.
Nabeel, didn't they give you some kind of warranty? Every web site on Maaco I've seen says they offer extensive warranties, and it seems like a company that does bad paint jobs wouldn't hold up under bad business like that.
I mean overspray and painted over emblems aren't just stuff car experts or car lovers notice. It's pretty obvious to even the dumbest of people, so I think Maaco would be out of business by now if they did that.
As far as whether they offer clearcoat or not, I don't know, maybe EGainer will report something about that.
Still that guys black ES painted at maaco, (supwithyou or something) looks pretty good. Unless he was lying.
Trust me if I had 3 grand I'd be getting a premium paint job, but I don't.
Old 05-17-02, 04:09 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default i have an idea

spend a week at maaco. check out every vehicle that rolls out of there and decide for yourself. then you could start talking to someone (like a hot chick) who just got their car painted there and tell them you are deciding to get a maaco paint job but dont know how itll look, so ask your new friend for her number and take her out a few times to check out how her paint is holding up after a few weeks. oh im a genius.
Old 05-17-02, 09:09 PM
Nabeel
Lexus Test Driver

Maaco does offer clearcoat, for whoever is interested.

I do have a warranty of soem sort on the paint, but my first experience with Maaco has soured so much that I think I'm just going to take the car to a quality shop to get the panels painted over again.
Old 05-20-02, 11:02 PM
aznchild808
Rookie

simply put you get what you pay for...

btw if you have the es300 peal white you have to be aware that it is a three stage pearl which is pretty hard to spray, especially not for 400.

I am going with pearl mica blue....another difficult pearl however I good hooked up pretty phat. Maco will never do a complete conversion (inside out) it is wayyyyyy to labor intensive for them

when I talk about full im not talking about just shooting the jambs and taping the doors. A full job requires the removal of the door, hood, trunk, bumpers, moldings, etc.

if you pay anything less than $3,000 for a complete swap, congradulations u got hooked up but if you pay any much more less dont expect much

I payed way less but it is through a special circumstance

SUGI

Quick Reply: Maaco Paint Job