ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

94 es300 check engine!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-10, 05:01 PM
firewire
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 es300 check engine!!

I have been experiencing slight engine stalling problem right after starting the car a couple of times in the past few months but nothing to indicate any major problem. But today the car would just die after every few seconds after ignition as if there was no gas (plenty of gas btw). I also noticed the "Check Engine" light on constantly so I had it towed to a local autoshop. Can anyone tell me what's going on and how costly it's going to be? Thanks
Old 01-24-10, 05:49 PM
ASG14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you tell us what the CEL code is. Untill then, we can't help.
Old 01-24-10, 06:26 PM
firewire
Driver School Candidate

well the car has already been towed to the autoshop today and I couldnt get in touch with the mechanic since it's a sunday (my luck). But hopefully they can tell me something or figure out the code.
Old 01-24-10, 07:46 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"I have been experiencing slight engine stalling problem right after starting the car a couple of times in the past few months but nothing to indicate any major problem.

but nothing to indicate any major problem?? THAT WAS A BIG FREGGIN INDICATION. my god are you retarded?

"But today the car would just die after every few seconds after ignition as if there was no gas (plenty of gas btw). I also noticed the "Check Engine" light on constantly so I had it towed to a local autoshop. Can anyone tell me what's going on and how costly it's going to be? Thanks "
wait, you want us to tell you what's going on . asg, please chime in to calm me down, but is this person realllllllly serious or is this some kind of prank? I worked as a service writer, and actual human beings did not walk in and say anything like that before.

But pretending it's serious, I won't be acrid in my analysis of the person, but look at the problem.

First, as soon as you can, have the car diagnosed by a ASE cert'd technician, if you have a check engine light. Do not continue to drive it for months. IT's best to go to different technicians for diagnosis/estimate.

Based on the mileage you didn't give me, it is probably something easily fixed with only minor consequences for other parts on the car [like catalytic converter, engine, etc] -- the oxygen sensors ["O2" sensors, the letter 'o' not number 0].

But, when your car fails to run consistently, but only when cold, it's a sign of a bad fuel pump, or temp sensor(s), ignition system [like coil(s)] or even idle air control valve. actually, even more things could be at fault. some of these things could be at fault at the same time.

When your get the estimate, be sure to give us it as soon as possible before authorizing any work to be done. We'll want to know some things like the detected trouble codes from the computer [obd-2 style is in your car [your car is one of the first cars made in the world with obd2], so it should be very verbose].

As far as costs go, right now, we can only guess that it can cost approximately 1100 dollars for an engine replacement. Once we get the information in the estimate, including the prices and labor times and labor costs, we can give you the thumbs up or down.

I would be weary of someone not used to these cars working on it. It might be worthwhile -- obviously it costs more -- to have it towed not to some random guy, but to someone with a repertoire working on lexus and/or toyota.

Last edited by llcoolpass; 01-24-10 at 07:52 PM. Reason: to be loving and giving is a virtue
Old 01-24-10, 08:33 PM
firewire
Driver School Candidate

I think you missed your daily therapy or mixed up your medication or maybe just being a douche bag without first asking if the Check Engine light was constantly on TODAY or had it been on since I first had the engine stall issue. No where in my post did I say that the check engine light been on during all these months and I did say the stall issue was only a couple of times meaning that it would run perfectly fine every single day i.e start even on the coldest morning without any issue whatsoever UNTIL this morning when the CEL came on for the FIRST TIME. I'm really sorry that I'm not a lexus expert like you since this is my first ever lexus purchased.

If my original post got your panties so damn twisted then maybe you should've just ignored it and spared us from spewing your venom that makes you look like a total A-HOLE!!

BTW there are plenty of threads on this forum and others that I checked as well where people have been having similar issues and there are some decent people who have actually helped them with some useful information instead of viciously attacking them with ignorant comments. Way to go keyboard warrior! lol
Old 01-24-10, 08:45 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

hey miss,

you frusturated me, so i shared something that annoyed you back, big whoop

I dont take medication, and neither do i, so don't make fun of us.

i also gave you salient info, you're welcome!
Old 01-24-10, 08:51 PM
firewire
Driver School Candidate

Maybe you could've spared yourself of your frustration had you simply asked "was the CEL on during all those months?" before going psychotic; simple but expecting any common sense from you is I guess a lost cause. Thank you for your comments and please don't waste your digital ink on my post.
Old 01-24-10, 09:02 PM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

maybe we are on a forum to help eachother out give feedback etc. so we should bash other people when all they want is help or are already frustrated because chances are if he was 200 pounds and a stackhouse you wouldnt say it to his face................. just my .02 tho
Old 01-24-10, 09:09 PM
firewire
Driver School Candidate

Some people just try to make themselves feel better by putting down others, sign of a sad existence. I guess common decency isn't that common anymore.
Old 01-24-10, 09:31 PM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

i know what you mean man .... I hate it because the average joe is here for advice opinions etc. And my rule of thumb is with obd2 check engine lights is unless it is blinking ( means its causing damage to something expensive catalytic conveter) drive it to autozone or advance and they will test it for free and tell you whats wrong with it and then you could figure out how high it is on your priority list and not have to pay the extra money for them to diagnose your problem for 80 dollars or so just to do the same thing autozone does for free
Old 01-24-10, 09:42 PM
firewire
Driver School Candidate

I really appreciate your help willhickey and will definitely get the CEL checked out. Just having a crappy day as it's my only car and it just died on me without any warning i.e no CEL until today. Oh well at least the towing was free.
Old 01-24-10, 10:15 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by firewire
I have been experiencing slight engine stalling problem right after starting the car a couple of times in the past few months but nothing to indicate any major problem. But today the car would just die after every few seconds after ignition as if there was no gas (plenty of gas btw). I also noticed the "Check Engine" light on constantly so I had it towed to a local autoshop. Can anyone tell me what's going on and how costly it's going to be? Thanks
Old 01-24-10, 11:25 PM
firewire
Driver School Candidate

if you have a check engine light. Do not continue to drive it for months.

LMAO

Seriously don't you have anything else to do like make crappy lexus videos on youtube with a lousy camera with backstreet boys playing in the background? Why are you so interested in my thread? Do we have a mod here? Just wondering
Old 01-25-10, 01:40 PM
firewire
Driver School Candidate

Alright just got the news from the auto shop. The culprit was the ECM!
Old 01-25-10, 02:10 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by firewire
Alright just got the news from the auto shop. The culprit was the ECM!
Not sure if its applicable to your vehicle, but before going to the expense of replacing your ECM. it may be worth while to check with your Lexus dealer to see if a possible to Flush and reinstall the ECM firmware There may be an updated firmware for your ECM as well.

At minimum have your mechanic reset the ECM, and try again before going any further.

Good Luck,

Phil

Last edited by PFB; 01-25-10 at 02:18 PM.

Quick Reply: 94 es300 check engine!!