ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Check engine Light now tail lights say they out

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-10 | 07:42 PM
treeman
Driver School Candidate

Default Check engine Light now tail lights say they out

I have taken this car to shop and run a diagnostic, nothing. The check engine light has been on for a couple years and now the dash lights say I have tail lights out. I do not is there any way to turn these lights out.
2001 es 300 thanks... me the tree... oh yeah I knew to this sight so if there is an old thread that could help me that i have over looked sorry and please direct me that direction...thanks again...me the the tree
Old 01-24-10 | 07:56 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

first, get help if you really think you're a tree
Secondly, They are completely seperate systems.
thirdly, don't ignore the CEL, get the car diagnosed by a professional, and the another one to check his opinion. then repair it.
There is little you can do about the dash light saying your tail light is out, if all the tail lights are working. you can try replacing all of them with new ones, or just take them all out, stick some dielectric grease on the connectors and screw them back in and see if it makes it go away. in other words , fanagle.
me cookie monster, me eat cookies
Old 01-25-10 | 01:26 AM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by treeman
I have taken this car to shop and run a diagnostic, nothing. The check engine light has been on for a couple years and now the dash lights say I have tail lights out. I do not is there any way to turn these lights out.
2001 es 300 thanks... me the tree... oh yeah I knew to this sight so if there is an old thread that could help me that i have over looked sorry and please direct me that direction...thanks again...me the the tree
I'm a little confused on exactly what you are saying. Do you mean that the shop is telling you that there are no codes present? Most scanner can tell you if the ECM has turned the CEL light on (this can tell you if the ECM has turned on the light, or if there is a external short that is turning on the light). Ask the shop about this. Also ask them if the readiness flags have been set. This would indicate that the ECM has completed all test cycles and that no errors were reported (another indication that the CEL was due conditions external to the ECM).
By the way, is there any indication of engine problems, other than the check engine light being on? IE. how does the car run?

As far as the taillights, follow IIcoolpass suggestion, clean the bulbs/sockets and then add some dialectic grease should correct the problem.