ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Do the recent recalls effect the 2002 - 2006 ES models?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-10 | 03:30 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by flipside909
Not to be devil's advocate but do you know this for a fact or are you just guessing?
I read this in an article, let me pull it up:

http://www.insideline.com/toyota/toy...-affected.html

Toyota Pedal Recall Update #3: Why Lexus and Scion Vehicles Are Not Affected

Scion and Lexus vehicles are not on the recall list simply because these cars are imported from Japanese plants where Denso pedals are exclusively used. The one exception is the Lexus RX: It is built in Canada, but the pedals used there reportedly come from Denso.
I've lambasted IL for their inaccurate mpg, vehicle features comparisons before, but this seems to make sense, given how the stoppage has played out.
Old 01-28-10 | 03:46 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by encore888
No problem. It could be legal scares that are keeping the dealers from saying too much, and the uncertainty with all the media speculation. Also there has been a coordination issue between TMC US HQ and Toyota dealerships, with many caught off-guard and uncertain as to what to do or say. They could do better IMO, with being more transparent, but sometimes human nature is to hunker down, circle the wagons when in the middle of a looming scandal or media firestorm.

In any case, the defective pedals are not on any Lexus vehicles. For that I am thankful at the separation that exists between Toyota and Lexus (more is needed IMO), and that the only Lexus made outside Japan, the RX 350 from Canada, uses Denso pedals imported from Japan.

However, further vigilance is needed. From a pure research & analysis point of view, the installation of the new pedals (either reshaped or replacement), plus the override, should greatly increase safety margins. There will definitely continue to be a high level of NHTSA complaints, given that everyone is now hyperaware of potential issues and are likely to report any potential incident. However, the added safety measures should eliminate potential accident causes.

For the current model ES with push button, I wager still most drivers do not know of the 3 second rule. With the prior gen ES, I'm guessing (haven't tested this) that they could turn the key and yank it out if neutral, brakes etc. don't work, but hopefully it does not come to that.
I agree encore!...If I am honest with all the media attention this has gathered, I found that Toyota...as the actual company & it's dealers came across as 'dazed & confused' if you will...the service department are the 'front lines' that deal with this sort of thing...that's Toyota's responsibility to relate all relevent info to it's dealers (or come out with a comprehensive & easy to understand statement which at the beginning they did not) to assure worried customers.

The events that transpired lately left me with the impression that even Toyota didn't know what the hell was going on...nor how to handle things on both fronts...the floor mat & accelerator pedal issues (granted we are talking about millions of vehicles here & many models over their product line).

I sincerely hope Toyota learns from their 'public relations' mistakes should something this serious ever happen again...but I think many customers will be shopping other competitors at least in the near term...time will tell what severity this will have on resale values & Toyota's overall reputation long term. It should be interesting.

Last edited by Lexusfreak; 01-28-10 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-28-10 | 03:55 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

^^^
Exactly, I agree. Someone jokingly made the comparison to Tiger Woods in another thread on here, and while cheating isn't the same thing, the PR debacle that followed had the same problem for both---Toyota and Tiger did not get ahead of the press reports. If they had been forthright and open in admitting their mistakes at the outset, they could have nipped the media firestorm in the bud. Instead, by only releasing minimal info initially, they let the media do the investigating, and lots of misinformation and innuendo results. It also erodes trust and confidence the next time you hear either Toyota or Tiger issue a press statement.

IMO, although Toyota's PR has been quite excellent in the past, their response here has been very lacking, and probably shows (in no particular order), a lack of experience with crises, a complacent mindset, slow response bureaucracy. It may be that PR officials' hands are tied, and the actual sales or strategy execs are responsible here too. Whoever they are, they need to be more nimble, get on their feet, and respond more quickly and correctly. I hope this is a turning point and they can emerge from this horrible week with a coordinated plan which #1) addresses safety #2) assists customers, 3) restores normal operations.

One other detail here is how Toyota blanket-covers everything, when Lexus is a division which issues its own TSBs, its own press releases (albeit through a joint site). Right now, they are seemingly taking the approach that the parent company is responsible for all communication, and so long as the models involved remain Toyota only, fine, but should Lexus models get added to it, I expect to see the Lexus division PR, customer service, etc. step up to take care of it as well.

Last edited by encore888; 01-28-10 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-29-10 | 12:50 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Red face

Difference between the CTS & Denso accelerator pedal assemblies you ask...?

Here you go...

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/wha...embly-edition/
Old 03-05-10 | 06:05 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Exclamation

Found some more information on this issue apparently from the NHTSA data base...click on the actual graph after you open the link...check out what is # 9 on this list.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/dee...-ua-incidents/

Any thoughts?