ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

shift cable bushing [transmission terminal] replacement firstgen 92/93

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-10, 01:52 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default shift cable bushing [transmission terminal] replacement firstgen 92/93

Welll, today, whooping on

[what I believe to be] an automatic v6 mazda 6 at a traffic light, going into second gear I destroyed the already worn and outofspec bushing on the low or high [i forget how it's set up] cable.

to give you an idea of the symptoms, now when shifting into 2nd, 4th, and Reverse, I have no confidence I get into gear because of the change in feel, although it still works. its like massive loose feeling.

anyway.....

so, im ordering from that speed shop "speed source" . hopefully they can tell me if i need the ''normal'' or the ''big'' toyota bushing kit. lexus sells only with whole cable too[they always say "5speed .. we don't get many calls on these!"], and the price is 250 dollars. 30 at other place.

I'll update when further details emerge on this project.
Old 01-29-10, 07:06 PM
Gerson
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use the big Kit, I have it in my car...
Old 01-29-10, 09:33 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

umm.... it says 94+ though for that one .... I dont get it, how did you arrive at using the big kit?

this is the site, by the way
http://www.speed-source.net/products/shifter_cable.htm

"One of the bushings is much larger than in the regular kit." -- is this why? if so, why do they say 94+ camry .? or maybe you dont know that, but you're sure there is a big bushing and a small bushing?

I guess i shuld've taken stuff apart to look, but, i haven't becaus eI'm still driving the car until I get the parts.

Last edited by llcoolpass; 01-29-10 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-29-10, 11:38 PM
Gerson
Pole Position

U are right, its the Toyota Normal version that should be used on our ES300 5 speed. I appologize for the mix up. Pretty easy to do if u remove the air intake tube. It works better but the slop hasn't entirely gone away, shift lever is fine, suspecting the cables or the shift shaft/bellcrank lever on the tranny.
Attached Thumbnails shift cable bushing [transmission terminal] replacement firstgen 92/93-3.jpg   shift cable bushing [transmission terminal] replacement firstgen 92/93-2.jpg  

Last edited by Gerson; 01-29-10 at 11:47 PM.
Old 01-30-10, 11:02 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

did you follow the advice at the end of their instruction guide? it says if you rotate the pin in the lever by 90 degrees you get the non worn part [thicker] of the pin to actuate, which removes the ''slop'' you just talked of. btw, whatever slight slop there is can't be that bad compared to what I have now. But, I am still going to try what they advise. Hopefully, this part can be easily and cheaply replaced if it's worn [supposing the turn doesn't improve anything]. If the bushings give me 96% of what new is like, I'm not going to complain.

for some reason, its actually smoother getting into 2 4 and reverse with the broken bushing right now than ever before and better than even new cars. especially loved is the improvement getting into reverse. i dont want to make htat go away, but i suppose i have to since i might be wearing out that pin and other parts more.

i am ordering the 'normal' bushing kit right now.

Last edited by llcoolpass; 01-30-10 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-31-10, 10:52 AM
Gerson
Pole Position

I'll see if I can rotate the pin and let u know the results when I get a chance. Hopefully leaving less slop on the shifter cable. I have pics but have trouble attaching them. Any suggestion?
Old 01-31-10, 01:44 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

well im doing it so ill be doing it all and taking pictures... ill let you know if its worth it, save yourself the trouble gerson until i report in ...[i always use photobucket btw]
Old 02-04-10, 01:28 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

ok the regular kit is fine , install takes about an hour.

that said, my problem is still present. still diagnosing. i want your thoughts, everyone.

watch vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLWcyj9lsGg

Last edited by llcoolpass; 02-04-10 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-04-10, 07:10 PM
Gerson
Pole Position

Hmm, maybe go to our Camry guys to find out if they experienced this issue. I also still have some slop as well.
Old 02-04-10, 07:56 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

yeah, its not slop though -- its way different. check out my video. its very hard to get into 2 ,4, and reversse gear once the engine is moving unless theengine is synched pretty close -- this is bad news bears. i hope i dont have to remove the trans and have it fixed/replaced. i did find a used camry se trans which i believe has a shorter final drive making it an interesting option. but, then again, doing all that crazy amount of work to remove the trans only to stick on some old *** replacement doesn't please me too much - and there's the possibility it will have problems.

there's so much play in the parts, as you can see in the video. im going to make another showing the problem at the shifter since i guess its hard to understand.

i guess toyota nation might help me.
Old 02-04-10, 09:16 PM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been looking at the assembly diagrams for these transmmissions, my quess would be that one of the inner shift levers is cracked or otherwise damaged. I would suggest first taking off both shifter cables and moving the levers (by hand) thru all gears. Pay close attention to the feel of all the detents. I would assume that you will probably find a significant difference in the "feel" of the different detents. If this is the case, I would suggest removing the shift and selector lever assembly. It appears that this can be done with the trans installed in the car. From you description (video was a little to dark as you noted yourself) I suspect you will find the problem on this assembly. On a positive note, if what I suspect is true, you should be able to use replacement parts from a camry, and fix this reasonably easily.
Old 02-05-10, 12:09 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

That is exactly my plan and thoughts, but I just wanted to hear other's input. The thing is, by using the shifter, you feel the problem. I will show in a video, i just dont think I've been clear enough about it. I also think that the little box on the top of the trans might come off or allow work to be done without dropping the trans. I think something rubber/bushing like has broken inside that , or outside that assembly but NOT the little bushings that connect the cables to the assembly since replacing them has 100% ruled those out. It's so damned cold out, I just had to bail on my car today once the sun set, so tomorrow I'll update. it sucks going to second for acceleration and getting VRRROOOM and stuff [gear not engaging]. just a little dangerous and highly annoying.

The ["free"] FSM's quality is so horrible for the transmission section. also, the manual trans is , just mentioning this for the fun of it, called ''automatic transmission.pdf" lol wtf
Old 02-05-10, 10:31 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

from http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...13#post3067613

gothmog3vz said:

Hey OP, does your tranny feel loose going into the even gears?

I did something to mine (ok, I was being a hoon and ripped on the shifter when I slotted 2nd, felt like something popped) last fall, and mine's pretty rubbery on the even gears; can't feel when reverse is engaged (meaning I have to shift into reverse 2-3 times to ensure that I don't grind), and when I slot 2 or 4, I can pull the stick back a cm or 2 (but it pulls itself back like it's got an elastic or something).

Is your issue somewhat similar? (And if it isn't, can someone identify what's the busted part? sorry for light threadjack, OP)

llcoolpass [i] said:
gothmog4vz,

it is precisely the same problem as mine and circumstances.

what exactly is the problem not 100 per cent sure yet. im going to attempt to remove the belllcrank lever located on the trans. it is the thing the cables connect to. im hoping the little rubber parts on it are just fried.

my friends, you shouldn';t drive a lot with this problem you realize that its important for the internal trans parts?

i drive very little . really just trying to figure out the problem... hopefully ihaven't caused other wear and tear. thank god i got torque enough to go 1 3 5. lol

if its not the bell crank lever, im going to attempt removal of the box [Shift and Select Lever assembly]. it appears you can just remove that wihtout dropping the trans. that thing had springs in it and two levers that go on to actuate the actual shift forks / shafts.

really doubt shift fork/shaft is messed up. probably the weaker things like springs and rubber are broken in the two things im going to inspect. hopefully. obviouslly, i will update with my results. if anyone has done what i am about to do, please give advice or experiences or back me up on what im doing. im all ears. i never pulled this part off this car before.
Old 02-05-10, 03:37 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Default Major update part 1

Old 02-05-10, 03:38 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Default Major update part 2

1 [original video from yesterday]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLWcyj9lsGg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsFQqn7LYJw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZPNKA3zZPE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO0F3c9NU20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmW4hK-LO-0

:cursin:
I'm going to be pulling out the "shift & select lever" assembly since it looks easy to
do and offers a few possible easily found points of failure, one would be the springs.
I can't do it due to inclement weather.
I bought gear oil 80w-90, cheap walmart brand [1gal + 1quart].
Once the weather and snow is addressed, i will be removing the shift lever assembly hopeful
that something obvious is found in that. otherwise,
I think I will be forced to remove the transmission and
either fix it or replace it [or drive it 'till it dies like we do in ghetto jersey].
Hey, as long as I have 3rd gear, I can technically get by ok for several years. :clap:

here are pics from [ repair guide manual factory service e-53 manual transmission toyota lexus]
of the assembly:

Last edited by llcoolpass; 02-05-10 at 06:59 PM.

Quick Reply: shift cable bushing [transmission terminal] replacement firstgen 92/93