ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Trac off + check engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-10, 01:40 PM
BoostedE21
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trac off + check engine

I apologize in advance for minimal information, I loaned my car to my sister, and (go figure) it came back broken, and I don't have much info yet. It's 30 degrees outside and I don't want to go poke around.

Here's the deal. When I gave it to her, it was driving fine, no problems. She claims (and i...mostly...believe her) that she was just driving normally, under normal conditions, and the check engine light came on. I told her to get home, turn it off, and I'll tow it to my house and take a look at it. When I got it back, the check engine AND trac off lights come on and stay on. The battery in the car is pretty old and struggles to start the car, and I've read that this might be an electrical thing - while I can't see that causing this issue, since it's running off the alternator when the engine's on anyway, I need someone else to help me rule it out.

I don't have the manual, she removed it from the glove box to fit her crap in there, and doesn't know where it is now .

I'm going to go get the codes read at the local Auto Zone later in the week, but until then, can anyone tip me in on what this might be, or personal experiences with this light combo?
Old 01-31-10, 02:00 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

A loose gas cap will throw a code, but without the code number, its just a guess in the dark.

Ask your sister if she put in Gas, but either way, check the gas cap to make sue that its closed tightly.

Phil
Old 01-31-10, 03:00 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, she's kinda a bimbo. Is she hot ? Post pics.

Secondly, your light combo is popular one. I assume you did a search?

Thirdly, something is wrong that you don't trust her. This is your instinct. Don't ignore it. Consider what you are thinking is what happened and investigate it further. If you want, tell us what you think she did.

Weak battery really showing itself more now than ever since you're getting unusually cold weather for your climate. have the charging and starting system full diagnosed - many places check it for free [autozone, advance auto parts].

many places also check the codes stored in the computer , for free. either free or expensive, get the codes. this will help us diagnose the problem. or, have a knowledgeable tech diagnose it in person.

again, did you do a search?
Old 01-31-10, 04:41 PM
BoostedE21
Pole Position

Originally Posted by llcoolpass
Weak battery really showing itself more now than ever since you're getting unusually cold weather for your climate. have the charging and starting system full diagnosed - many places check it for free [autozone, advance auto parts].

many places also check the codes stored in the computer , for free. either free or expensive, get the codes. this will help us diagnose the problem. or, have a knowledgeable tech diagnose it in person.

again, did you do a search?
I have no idea what she did. She is not an aggressive driver, and actually fears going fast (rightfully so in this car, with it's skinny tires and worn out suspension). I believe her when she says that it came on randomly.

I searched, but it all came up with the same vague stuff. The gas cap isn't an issue. One of my friends has an OBDII code reader, I'll go use it tomorrow.
Old 01-31-10, 06:35 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok. and pics?
Old 01-31-10, 07:49 PM
mmlex1987
Intermediate

Get the codes as previously stated. Are there any driveability problems with the light on or are the lights just on and the vehicle drives normal? I am going to guess if the vehicle is running ok, it could be a lean code caused by the fuel cap or an O2 code which in that case would need to be addressed. Post codes as soon as you get.
Old 02-01-10, 12:12 AM
BoostedE21
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmlex1987
Get the codes as previously stated. Are there any driveability problems with the light on or are the lights just on and the vehicle drives normal? I am going to guess if the vehicle is running ok, it could be a lean code caused by the fuel cap or an O2 code which in that case would need to be addressed. Post codes as soon as you get.
The car is now in my possession, and I'm driving my other car - so it won't get any miles until this is resolved. I checked the filler cap, it's still tight. Whenever I loosen it (this seems odd to me, but it's been doing it for years) it makes a hissing noise, as if it's equalizing pressure (not sure if it's vacuum or positive pressure in there).

No drivability issues, and nothing out of the ordinary happened when it turned on, from what I understand. I'll get the codes tomorrow if i can.
Old 02-01-10, 11:40 AM
BoostedE21
Pole Position

P1133 - which is the Air/Fuel sensor, which I guess is just another oxygen sensor. Not bad at all. Might take this opportunity to overhaul the suspension - I'm tired of the creaking from the rear whenever I go over a bump.