ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

'94 ES300 Lost Power

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-10, 08:59 AM
ArkLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '94 ES300 Lost Power

When I started it up this morning, there was a squealing sound almost like a belt squeak. It has been very cold here with temps in the upper teens.

I went ahead and drove it to work. While on the highway, going 70 mph, the car immediately lost power. No engine lights, just a loss of power. I pulled over to the side of the road and I finally got the dashlights. Turned the key off and attempted to start. It would turn, but the engine would not start.

Peeked under the hood. Fluids were fine, belt looked intact.

Had it towed in to the shop. Hopefully, I'm not looking at much $$$.

My thoughts are timing belt, but it was 'supposedly' changed out 6 months ago, although I have my doubts.

Keep your fingers crossed that it is something minor. My gut tells me no.
Old 02-10-10, 11:32 AM
ASG14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1st thought for me was timing belt as well.
Old 02-10-10, 01:08 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

belt or pulley failure or hyd tens fail in the timing system is possible. you may have had an accesory belt or accessory belt pulley failure , draining the battery, making it not crank fast enough to start nor run.

could be really bad things too. let us know.
Old 02-10-10, 03:42 PM
88Legend
Pole Position

I hope this isn't the timing belt, but it could be. Or the timing belt tensioner could of broke. But the Jags of the late 90's had the same problem. They stalled on the highway and wouldn't start up again because of a ECU problem...
Old 02-10-10, 04:59 PM
buci
Driver

Originally Posted by ArkLex
When I started it up this morning, there was a squealing sound almost like a belt squeak. It has been very cold here with temps in the upper teens.

I went ahead and drove it to work. While on the highway, going 70 mph, the car immediately lost power. No engine lights, just a loss of power. I pulled over to the side of the road and I finally got the dashlights. Turned the key off and attempted to start. It would turn, but the engine would not start.

Peeked under the hood. Fluids were fine, belt looked intact.

Had it towed in to the shop. Hopefully, I'm not looking at much $$$.

My thoughts are timing belt, but it was 'supposedly' changed out 6 months ago, although I have my doubts.

Keep your fingers crossed that it is something minor. My gut tells me no.
My timing belt got the idea to jump( been in the car god knows since) a couple of teeth few months back on the highway and the engine started knocking like crazy,i kept driving anyway,it's not an interference engine,did you hear any knocking on yours?The squeak in the morning it's normal and it probably comes from the belts getting hard from the cold overnight.
Old 02-11-10, 06:46 AM
ArkLex
Driver School Candidate

Still waiting. I called the mechanic late yesterday and they had not had a chance to get to it.

Still trying to reconstruct what happened. It was very cold the night before last and when I cranked the car (new battery), I heard this horrible screeching sound. It sounded like a belt, but not, almost metallic. I immediately cut the engine, popped the hood and checked. I did not see anything out of the ordinary. I started it back up and it sounded more like a squeeky belt.

I drove it half a block and the sound went away. 12 miles later while coming around a curve, it lost power. I would press on the accelerator, but nothing. I still had power steering and I had no warning lights on the dash like the car had not died, it just had zero power. As soon as I pulled to the side of the road, the check engine light came on and immediately died. I put it in Park and tried cranking to no avail.

I popped the hood and checked all fluid levels. Everything was fine. Belts even looked tight as I hand checked the tension.

Called for a tow and the waiting....which Tom Petty says is the hardest part begins.

Will keep you guys posted.
Old 02-11-10, 10:55 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

assuming youre wrong about having power steering, when you say there was no power are you saying the engine was definitely running or definitely not running?
Old 02-11-10, 08:12 PM
ArkLex
Driver School Candidate

Heard from the mechanic today.

Apparently, the water pumped seized and caused the timing belt to jump its tracks so to speak.

What was interesting was he said that the last person who changed the timing belt did not change out the water pump!!

He suggested an entire timing belt kit which comes with timing belt, tensioner etc as well as a new water pump.

Total cost which includes timing belt, tensioner, water pump, antifreeze, labor and the tow is $600.

I'll gladly pay the cost as I truly love this car! Much cheaper than a couple of car payments!
Old 02-11-10, 08:27 PM
ASG14
Lexus Test Driver

Have him replace the Cam (2 of them) and crank seals.
Old 02-12-10, 08:33 AM
ArkLex
Driver School Candidate

I called the mechanic and here's the list of parts they are replacing:

Timing belt
Water pump and gasket
Thermostat and gasket
Automatic tension adjuster
Timing belt tensioner
Timing belt idler
Both drive belts
Front cams and crankshaft seals
Old 02-12-10, 09:24 AM
ASG14
Lexus Test Driver

Frobt cams or both cams? There is 2 cam seals, so I'll assume it;s both.

Thats everything I recommend to people and that I do myself as well. Looks like a good list.

ONLY other thing (IF NEEDED) would be radiator hoses. Ask your mechanic about that. thats the only other thing.

Keep us posted!
Old 02-15-10, 08:15 AM
ArkLex
Driver School Candidate

The previous owner replaced the radiator and hoses back in November so I am good to go in that category.

I am picking her up this afternoon. You sure do miss then when they're gone.