ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Gas Mileage Tumbles

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-10, 11:23 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah i looked it up after i posted that . lol and im sorry for going off topic too. but thanks for the link. i now realllllly want the '94 legend GS [sedan] 6speed. i didn't even know it existed until last night i did the aforementioned ''research''. i thought the coupe was a rare vehicle in stick. to think, there are only about 1,200 es 300 made with 5speed manual, and how many of them are left .... makes you realize how rare a stick es 300 is. hell, a stick lexus is rare.

i always liked those early 90s legends. you ever drive one? they are pretty ''rails'' handling. engine is decent too. not low end like es 300 i have, not at all, but they are light and having short gearing which more than makes up for it [in a bad way unfortunately lol]

seriously, now my list of cars i want :

2006 nissan truck 4.0v6 6speed
2002/03 Bmw 540i 6spd M-package
1994 acura legend gs 6speed
1994/95 bmw 850CSI 6speed
--weird, i seem to be attracted to vehicles with 6speed, and I dont even like having to shift 6 gears unlike other people ....--
1993 mazda mx6 5spd
'94 inf q45

Last edited by llcoolpass; 02-15-10 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-15-10, 01:20 PM
285exp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SilverSled
Nothing to do w/ mileage? Really? What sensors do if not air/fuel ratio sensors?

Did find tire pressures down to 34 (1) and 37 psi other three (44psi tire setting). Refilled those.

Any other advice?

44 psi is way too much; Lexus calls for 32 psi max. Overinflation will result in worse traction due to reduced contact patch, premature tire wear, and unnecessarily harsh ride. Note in the article that you quoted above that there is a .4% decrease in fuel economy per psi underinflation, so overinflating them by 10 psi would yield at best a 4% increase in economy. Pumping them up to 44 probably won't give you even 1mpg.

Last edited by 285exp; 02-15-10 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-15-10, 02:18 PM
88Legend
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by llcoolpass
yeah i looked it up after i posted that . lol and im sorry for going off topic too. but thanks for the link. i now realllllly want the '94 legend GS [sedan] 6speed. i didn't even know it existed until last night i did the aforementioned ''research''. i thought the coupe was a rare vehicle in stick. to think, there are only about 1,200 es 300 made with 5speed manual, and how many of them are left .... makes you realize how rare a stick es 300 is. hell, a stick lexus is rare.

i always liked those early 90s legends. you ever drive one? they are pretty ''rails'' handling. engine is decent too. not low end like es 300 i have, not at all, but they are light and having short gearing which more than makes up for it [in a bad way unfortunately lol]

seriously, now my list of cars i want :

2006 nissan truck 4.0v6 6speed
2002/03 Bmw 540i 6spd M-package
1994 acura legend gs 6speed
1994/95 bmw 850CSI 6speed
--weird, i seem to be attracted to vehicles with 6speed, and I dont even like having to shift 6 gears unlike other people ....--
1993 mazda mx6 5spd
'94 inf q45
Take good care of that manual ES300. And keep it garaged. I was looking to buy one of those things but I couldn't find one. My dad's auto ES300 is boring to drive so I wanted a manual. So there are probably about 800 left. That would be a good guess...

Yes I have driven a 1994 six speed coupe. It had a lot of power. But they are kinda heavy weighing in at 3400. I would highly recommend buying one if you can find one. My G1 weighs about 3100. I would stay away from BMWs. My friend's dad has a 1998 740i and it constantly has problems.

The only thing you have to look out for on the G2 Legends is HGs. It is a really common problem with these cars. The best way to avoid it is to change out the coolant every 2 years with the blue Honda Type II coolant. But besides that they are bullet proof. Some people have 300-400K+ and they are still running. Look on Acura-Legend.com and AcuraLegend.Org for people selling their Legends.

Originally Posted by 285exp
44 psi is way too much; Lexus calls for 32 psi max. Overinflation will result in worse traction due to reduced contact patch, premature tire wear, and unnecessarily harsh ride. Note in the article that you quoted above that there is a .4% decrease in fuel economy per psi underinflation, so overinflating them by 10 psi would yield at best a 4% increase in economy. Pumping them up to 44 probably won't give you even 1mpg.
+1
Keep them at recommended pressures or maybe just 1 psi more.

One more thing. After I replaced my O2 sensor and cleaned my PCV valve on my car, it idles much better, and has much more power. The mpg went up a little too. Do the ES300s have a PCV valve?

Last edited by 88Legend; 02-15-10 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-15-10, 06:22 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

92/93 has pcv valve, and i believe the other incantations do too
Old 02-19-10, 10:36 AM
SilverSled
Rookie

Originally Posted by 88Legend
Oh yeah the fuel filter. That is a good idea. Especially after that many miles. I would say distributor cap and rotor, and plug wires but...your car wasn't made in the 80's like mine...
I've never understood why folks recommend changing fuel filter for MPG help. As I see it, it's a filter. If its dirty it will impede gas flow. Sufficient impediment will prevent wide open throttle type acceleration. That's where one should notice it first. I see no reason why it would appear to be an issue at idle or cruise conditions at all. Unless it's totally blocked, of course driving at all becomes the issue then.

Yes, no cap/rotor/ wires etc etc on this one.

I did buy new A/F sensors, but realized this beast hasn't had plugs replaced yet. We bought at 110k and now is at 130k. Change interval is 120k. So, I'll run new plugs in it first, then if needed install these A/F sensors.

I hope to bring them back as I sure could use this $300 elsewhere!! Yikes, these aren't cheap.
Old 02-19-10, 10:41 AM
SilverSled
Rookie

Wink

Originally Posted by 285exp
Well, my experience is otherwise. I did adjust inflation to recommended max by tire manufacturer and gas mileage is definitely back to where it was earlier. It still isn't getting the mileage the internet suggests for this car and it never did since we bought it (110k miles). But, plugs will be changed at home shortly, then if needed the A/F sensors.

Tires are all about inflation and I figure tire manufactures know better than Lexus on what pressure to run. Not sure what tires mine came w/ stock anyway. I run Michelin's. Rolling resistance is lower with higher pressure. Try pushing your car w/ 10-15psi less pressure, then with the tires fully inflated. If you can feel the difference it's likely your engine will feel the difference too.
Old 02-19-10, 11:25 AM
285exp
Pole Position

Well, my experience is otherwise. I did adjust inflation to recommended max by tire manufacturer and gas mileage is definitely back to where it was earlier. It still isn't getting the mileage the internet suggests for this car and it never did since we bought it (110k miles). But, plugs will be changed at home shortly, then if needed the A/F sensors.

Tires are all about inflation and I figure tire manufactures know better than Lexus on what pressure to run. Not sure what tires mine came w/ stock anyway. I run Michelin's. Rolling resistance is lower with higher pressure. Try pushing your car w/ 10-15psi less pressure, then with the tires fully inflated. If you can feel the difference it's likely your engine will feel the difference too.
If you think that Michelin knows best, then you might check out their website for correct inflation recommendations:

If you don’t know the proper inflation air pressure for your tires, what do you do?

Easy. Check at one of the following places on your vehicle:

In the vehicle owners manual.
On the vehicle’s door jamb. (Often, a vehicle information placard is located on the door jamb along with the recommended tire inflation pressure.)
Inside the fuel hatch filler flap. (In some vehicles.)
The glove compartment door. (In some vehicles.)
But NOT on the tire. The inflation pressure shown on the tire sidewall is only the maximum tire inflation pressure. In most situations, the vehicle manufacturers recommended tire inflation pressure is shown on the vehicle placard. However, on some older vehicles, the recommended pressure listed by your vehicle’s manufacturer may be shown as two numbers: One for city speed driving and normal load and one for highway speeds and/or maximum capacity vehicle load. Be sure to inflate your tires to the recommended inflation pressure for each type of driving situation.

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-care...pressure-tips/

Lexus lists 32 psi as maximum for OEM sized tires, and Michelin says to follow mfg recommendations. And unless you managed to hold all other variables constant, your change in mpg cannot be attributed to the few lbs of pressure you added to the tires.
Old 02-20-10, 12:50 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

if you dont listen to me and 285exp, you're going to find yourself in a bad car accident. dont be stupid. inflate to rec'd PSI by lexus in your owner's manual which will prob tell you to see the tire placcard usually located in the driver's door jamb.
Old 02-20-10, 08:54 PM
mooseboy84
Rookie

Yes, I was actually being a tad sarcastic w/ Mooseboy. O2 sensors are hugely responsible, mass air sensor slightly less so.

You did just answer my next question however, on how long the O2 sensors should last. Yes, just checked mine..... 129k miles! Yikes, how time flies.

Those air/fuel sensors must be the wide band type... YIKES are they steep. Twice the old O2 sensor type.

Reading old posts, it seems the ES300 has 2 sensors forward of the cat and 2 rear ward. The forward ones are the A/F type and the ones after the cat are the old cheaper ones.

For fuel mileage, I'll replace the A/F sensors first as those are most likely the culprits if any sensors at all are. As mentioned, these ones are OLD.
Getting back to this thread, maybe I miss spoke. [I sound like a politician, LOL]

I know o2 sensors function of monitoring a/f ratio etc. However, I have seen people go into these little shady shops talking about bad gas mileage or engine problem, and they get played for 02 sensors! It happened to my sister a few years ago. It was a bad fuel injector and ancient spark plugs [basically a tune up] and she got scammed into shelling out $$$ for o2 sensors that werent needed, because the guy was arguing that was the problem when the **** new it wasnt true.

Yeah I know if your o2 is bad, the engine may run rich because it aint getting proper feed back etc, but I also know that sometimes people pull out that "oxygen sensor" scam saying it will improve gas mileage, but it wont. They do it to alot of women. That why I made my original comment.

Now, to be a total politician... if your CHECK ENGINE LIGHT was not on, you should not have considered an 02 sensor malfunction/problem as immediately contributing to your loss in gas mileage.

Last edited by mooseboy84; 02-20-10 at 08:57 PM.
Old 02-26-10, 07:22 PM
SilverSled
Rookie

Thanks for clarifying your statement Mooseboy.

I have yet to pull the center rear and drivers rear plugs, but I did change the other four. Gas mileage may be up a tad from that and tire pressure increase. I do always run near the top of the recommended tire pressure and that had dropped of course w/ recent cold snaps.

I have not installed the AF sensors, and may return them to save the $300.

What gas mileage do you all get on your cars?

I seem to get 17-18 mpg around town and 25 or so on the highway at 70mph or so.

Thanks all.
Old 03-13-10, 09:56 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I know this is old, but now that it is getting warmer, im guessing the gas being used is dufferent from the "winter mix" i was getting about 17-19 consistently in the winter with sunoco 91, now i am getting 22.6 with sunoco 93
Old 12-23-11, 10:00 PM
vlab1972
Driver School Candidate

I got a hard time taking off the o2 sensor of my 1993 es300..it got like a quarter hole that is very hard to get access on it's wire harness...where else can I get access for more room..