ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Head Unit Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-02 | 10:14 PM
TheBigGuyRy
Driver

Default Head Unit Replacement

Hey as anyone replaced their reciever in a first generation ES? Is it difficult? I was looking to install a standard DIN Kenwood head unit, and I'm guessing the current one is Double DIN. Cruthfield's website says it will fit the car but they won't tell me what I need to do myself to fit it. Anybody do it themselves?
Old 06-10-02 | 10:51 PM
WiLlNyC
Driver School Candidate

Yeah buddy, you and me, we're pretty lucky they just came out with the kit. I put it in already with a kenwood single-din head unit. Alot more work then putting in regular car head unit.
You would have to remove the center vents, your climate control and etc... Till you reach the cup-holder. I have a 92 es300 too.
So GOOD LUCK!!!!
Old 06-11-02 | 12:21 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Crutchfield has told me several times both online and in person that a particular item "will fit" with either no modifications, or few modifications. so i order, and whadduya know? they will not fit and no I'm not stupid, i'm not as mechanically inadept as i may look. even their tech support told me over the phone to remove all these nuts and bolts that just didn't exist on my car....maybe they're working off of a camry platform?? well I give them credit for having quick shipping, and free return shipping, and they were friendly. i may order other things from them in the future.