ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

THANK YOU! and also a 2nd Gen ES300 Headlight Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-10, 10:38 PM
HamBurglar
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default THANK YOU! and also a 2nd Gen ES300 Headlight Question

Hello all!
First off I'd like to say great forum and that I've learned alot about my car over the last few years.
Most people on here spend alot of time and effort doing research online and hands on and are kind enough to share that information with detailed write ups and more.
Thanks again for all your help over the years.

OK, now my question was about 2nd generation ES300, specifically 1994.
Over the past few years I've wanted to clear out the turning signals in the head lamps after reading the write ups from here. Being the lazy person I am I never got around to it (hell I've been lurcking on the forum for about 5 years or so and finally decided to sign up, I know don't judge me!).
From my understanding (please correct me if I'm wrong) the later year ES300s 1995, 1996, etc...have a different headlight housing correct? Unlike the 1994, these headlamp section can be seperating from the turn signal section?
If this is true, would one of these type of headlight housings be a direct fit for a 1994?
If not a perfect fit would light modding be necessary or impossible or not practical for the amount of work required to fit these?
Or am I completely wrong on this one?
Thanks in advance ya'll!
Old 02-19-10, 01:16 PM
HamBurglar
Driver

bump..........
Old 02-20-10, 04:49 PM
tomstep2
Pole Position

I can't be too much help here, but I believe the later ES's (95+) have a different housing. It would probably be a lot of work just to clear your corners. You can do the oven bake method to open them and then clear the corners.

I have thought about clearing mine but I think the orange corners look better on my Dark Emerald Pearl than the clears would, IMHO.

Hopefully one of the more knowledgeable members here will chime in and provide some better input.

Good Luck!
Old 02-20-10, 05:15 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 96 one was just glued on to the outer lens. I snapped it off and put the thing back together. IMO it looks a lot better now...

Also, any 2/2.5ES headlamp will fit. It didn't start getting technical until the later years
Old 02-20-10, 05:39 PM
HamBurglar
Driver

Originally Posted by tomstep2
I can't be too much help here, but I believe the later ES's (95+) have a different housing. It would probably be a lot of work just to clear your corners. You can do the oven bake method to open them and then clear the corners.

I have thought about clearing mine but I think the orange corners look better on my Dark Emerald Pearl than the clears would, IMHO.

Hopefully one of the more knowledgeable members here will chime in and provide some better input.

Good Luck!
Thanks for the response, you're the only person out of the 30+ people who read this thread to reply.
I'm pretty sure the housing is different as well. I think those 95+ housing are 2 pieces. One piece is the projector section and the 2nd piece is just the corners. I believe they use to make aftermarket clear corners that you could just swap out that 2nd piece?
Now figuring out if those 95+ 2 piece housings would fit in a 94 is the question.
I do agree with you the orange isn't bad looking at all, I'm just getting tired of the same look on this car since I've had it for so many years and just wanted to bring some new life to it.
Old 02-20-10, 05:43 PM
HamBurglar
Driver

Originally Posted by eyezack87
My 96 one was just glued on to the outer lens. I snapped it off and put the thing back together. IMO it looks a lot better now...

Also, any 2/2.5ES headlamp will fit. It didn't start getting technical until the later years
Thanks Eyezack!
Inorder to snap off the orange you still had to take apart the headlight right?
Also the headlight is one piece right not 2 like i thought?
Now I know I can purchase any 2/2.5 gen es headlight from a junk yard and it'll fit.
Awesome
Old 02-20-10, 09:25 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, you have to bake the thing apart. There really isn't any way around it unfortunately. Hmm, its been 2 years since I did it but iirc it is 1 piece....

Good luck with your project
Old 02-22-10, 07:16 PM
HamBurglar
Driver

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Yeah, you have to bake the thing apart. There really isn't any way around it unfortunately. Hmm, its been 2 years since I did it but iirc it is 1 piece....

Good luck with your project
Sounds like a plan. Another member on this forum was nice enough to PM me and give me some pics and advice as well. So with that info and the write up from here I think I should be in good shape.
The 97 ES300 headlights aren't compatible with our year ES300 either huh?
Thanks again.
Old 02-22-10, 08:26 PM
tomstep2
Pole Position

eyezack, you are always a wealth of knowledge on exterior lighting. Yours look great and if mine was the same color, I would have already done it. I haven't seen any Dark Emerald Pearls with clear corners yet. If I saw one, I might change my mind.

How are your LED tails coming along?
Old 02-22-10, 09:12 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HamBurglar
Sounds like a plan. Another member on this forum was nice enough to PM me and give me some pics and advice as well. So with that info and the write up from here I think I should be in good shape.
The 97 ES300 headlights aren't compatible with our year ES300 either huh?
Thanks again.
Sure thing. Unfortunately the 97 wont fit without a lot of cutting/pasting and whatnot. Its a lot more work than its worth to be honest but you don't see the 97+ running around with quad projectors
Originally Posted by tomstep2
eyezack, you are always a wealth of knowledge on exterior lighting. Yours look great and if mine was the same color, I would have already done it. I haven't seen any Dark Emerald Pearls with clear corners yet. If I saw one, I might change my mind.

How are your LED tails coming along?
Haha, thanks man. The pleasure is all mine. I know what its like to be new at modding afterall

As for the LED tails, its a very slow process. I'm taking 5 Upper div Chemistry courses right now and its taking quite a bit of my time sadly. I have it all figured out, just need to put it back together now