ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

1998 ES300 - Error Codes - Stumbling

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-10, 06:07 AM
inviz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 ES300 - Error Codes - Stumbling

Hey guys! New member and new owner of a high mileage 1998 ES300. She's been running great aside from the normal wear (valve cover gaskets, radio blackout, etc). Yesterday she stumbled out of my office parking lot and I thought I was losing the tranny. Took it to Autozone and had the codes scanned. Here we go:

P0300 - Cylinders 1, 3, 5
P0130 - Bank 1 Sensor 1
P0133
P0401

I plan on tackling most if not all this weekend. It looks like the plug wires are original! Anyone care to give me some tips and tricks on making this as painless as possible? Also, ballpark on total price for parts, best sources for the parts, etc?

Thanks in advance! This is a great resource site!
Old 02-20-10, 10:46 AM
inviz
Driver School Candidate

Well I replaced all the plugs and eliminated the misfire errors. Now I am down to the EGR and 130 o2 bank 1 sensor 1. The car runs great except for the really bad stumbling from a dead stop. Anyone care to show me where the egr is and the o2 sensor I have failing? Really in a jam here guys. Thanks!
Old 02-20-10, 12:33 PM
Spimley
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 99% sure that Bank 1 Sensor 1 is between the Radiator and the Engine, which is good news for you, the one between the firewall & engine is quite a bit more difficult to reach.
Old 02-20-10, 03:00 PM
inviz
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply. Man that would be too easy! Im waiting for the sensor to be delivered to the parts house. As far as the egr valve, electronic or vacuum controlled?
Old 02-21-10, 09:01 PM
Spimley
Rookie

sorry not sure on the others... I just remember cuz i had to replace bank 2 sensor 1 and it was in back by the firewall and a real PITA
Old 02-21-10, 09:28 PM
ASG14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Several of my friends have gotten that P0401 code.

1st, are ALL the vacuum lines hooked up?

2 of my friends that got that code was because the sensor (on the top of the EGR valve) was bad, and not registering the EGR valve as being open or closed. This is assuming it;s the same setup as the 98 Camry with the sensor on the top of the EGR with 3 very small nuts to hold it on.
Old 02-22-10, 05:46 AM
inviz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ASG14
Several of my friends have gotten that P0401 code.

1st, are ALL the vacuum lines hooked up?

2 of my friends that got that code was because the sensor (on the top of the EGR valve) was bad, and not registering the EGR valve as being open or closed. This is assuming it;s the same setup as the 98 Camry with the sensor on the top of the EGR with 3 very small nuts to hold it on.
I've done a check and I don't see any un-mated vacuum lines.

My biggest question is, is this EGR and o2 sensor the likely candidates for my "stumbling from a dead stop" issue? The car runs like a dream otherwise. What about fuel filter? Money's a little tight right now so I don't want to go and replace a ton of high dollar parts if it's unnecessary. Thanks!
Old 02-22-10, 07:45 AM
ASG14
Lexus Test Driver

If the fuel filter is original, it NEEDS to be reaplced reguardless as regular maintmence.

Other thing I would so it clean the throttle body. It will be full of oil, which can often cause idle issues.
Old 02-22-10, 08:15 AM
Spimley
Rookie

X2 on Fuel Filter, if its the original, replace it if your pushing 200K miles, they are pretty reasonable and not that big of a job.

RE: Stumbling/Bumbling,, Perhaps this is worth looking into...
Recently on mine (95), I had cold idle issues and what appeared to be tranny issues and what I found was a small crack in the Air Cleaner Intake Hose. $(40 rockauto . com)
The "symptoms" were as follows: It would start right up and when I shifted into Rev, it would kind of "jerk" at first as I backed down the driveway and then when i put it into drive, it would hesitate a little and feel real hesitant when I drove down the street as it ran through the gears, then it seemed to be fine the rest of the day. What I determined was that little crack would open up a little when I hit the throttle then close off and the car would run fine.
So.. since its free, take 2 minutes and poke around that Intake hose on top of the engine (after the filter) and make sure its not worn or cracked. (Actually I just ordered my hose so now the original hose is just taped, but car runs soooo smooth now)
Its a cheap replacement and it could possibly be the cause since I was 100% sure I had tranny issues until I located that little crack.

Last edited by Spimley; 02-22-10 at 08:24 AM.
Old 02-22-10, 09:04 AM
ASG14
Lexus Test Driver

^ Ah, you know thats a good idea too. I completely forgot about that.
Old 02-22-10, 11:01 AM
inviz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Spimley
X2 on Fuel Filter, if its the original, replace it if your pushing 200K miles, they are pretty reasonable and not that big of a job.

RE: Stumbling/Bumbling,, Perhaps this is worth looking into...
Recently on mine (95), I had cold idle issues and what appeared to be tranny issues and what I found was a small crack in the Air Cleaner Intake Hose. $(40 rockauto . com)
The "symptoms" were as follows: It would start right up and when I shifted into Rev, it would kind of "jerk" at first as I backed down the driveway and then when i put it into drive, it would hesitate a little and feel real hesitant when I drove down the street as it ran through the gears, then it seemed to be fine the rest of the day. What I determined was that little crack would open up a little when I hit the throttle then close off and the car would run fine.
So.. since its free, take 2 minutes and poke around that Intake hose on top of the engine (after the filter) and make sure its not worn or cracked. (Actually I just ordered my hose so now the original hose is just taped, but car runs soooo smooth now)
Its a cheap replacement and it could possibly be the cause since I was 100% sure I had tranny issues until I located that little crack.
Sounds exactly like my daily routine. lol

Any chance you could post a pic with it circled? Also, I bought some MAF cleaner and I'm going to remove and clean it as well as the EGR tonight. Thanks in advance!
Old 02-22-10, 11:02 AM
inviz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ASG14
If the fuel filter is original, it NEEDS to be reaplced reguardless as regular maintmence.

Other thing I would so it clean the throttle body. It will be full of oil, which can often cause idle issues.
Gonna give this a shot as well. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 02-23-10, 05:27 AM
inviz
Driver School Candidate

Alright gang, here's the status:

Removed and cleaned the EGR and MAFS. Did a hard reset to wipe the CEL. Drove it about 30 minutes and still having the same issue: stumbling from a dead stop only, otherwise drives fine and no CEL after about 50 miles.

I did try something out which has me pretty worried: I've been manually shifting it and it does not stumble at all! The thing is I feel absolutely NO slipping in the transmission.

Ideas? I'm running out myself.
Old 02-23-10, 09:01 AM
Spimley
Rookie

It should be very easy to spot. start at the Air Filter Box (bottom right if your facing engine right next to the battery) keep following to the left and you will see the hose i'm talking about. If you look at my photo closely, you will see the tape where I did a temp repair while waiting for the replacement part from rockauto .

Originally Posted by inviz
Sounds exactly like my daily routine. lol

Any chance you could post a pic with it circled? Also, I bought some MAF cleaner and I'm going to remove and clean it as well as the EGR tonight. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-03-10, 12:17 PM
inviz
Driver School Candidate

Alright guys I have done the following:

New plugs (iridium NGK)
New o2 sensors as per error codes

I have eliminated all missfires and I have no CEL or TRAC OFF yet the car does the EXACT same "stumbling" routine from a dead stop. I can put the pedal to the floor and it it just bogs down more. Again, if I manually shift from L to 2 to D it drives fine.

I am stumped. Anyone? Please and thanks!

Quick Reply: 1998 ES300 - Error Codes - Stumbling