ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

98 ES Air Intake Hose /Filter Two Part Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-10, 11:13 AM
Spimley
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 98 ES Air Intake Hose /Filter Two Part Question

My 98 ES300 needs a replacement Air Cleaner Intake hose, it split and was causing some issues so for the short term I taped the crack until the new part is ordered and comes in.

Question 1) Any downside to purchasing an After-market hose (sub $40) vs the Stealership ($90). Or is a hose a hose.

Question 2) While I was poking around the threads, I saw some posters that were installing AM air filters, it made me wonder what your opinions may be regarding the Filter Itself. Right now its stock and very white (just replaced a couple months ago) so I won't replace the filter anytime soon, but when the time comes, I'm curious what you wrenchers think about staying stock or going after-market filters. Just so its clear, i'm posting examples of what i'm looking at , i'm stealing images from another thread for simplicity.

This is pretty much what mine looks like now. (photo's are from a 2001, mine is a 1998 but they are pretty similar)

This is an example of the intake Filter that I saw in another thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...air-box-2.html

For any of you that have had experience with intakes, will I really see any performance increase? A change in sound? Etc. Or should I just really stay away from the idea all together.

Any opinions appreciated.
Old 02-19-10, 02:18 PM
MikeLex
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Question 1) Any downside to purchasing an After-market hose (sub $40) vs the Stealership ($90). Or is a hose a hose.
Those made in China sold at Ebay are junk; the rubber stinks. Nevertheless, I've had no problems with a DORMAN bought ($30 + shipping) for my 94' Camry from Rockauto.
Old 02-19-10, 04:45 PM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I didnt realize the 98 ES300 came with a dual throttle body, hmmmm, my 98 has a single throttle body. I thought the duals came with the VVTI engine, 00-01 ES300.
Old 02-20-10, 07:11 AM
Spimley
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't believe it does, again, i noted the pics came off of a 2001, not mine, but it seems that there are different opinions re the intake.. Some seem to feel that stock works great so leave it alone. Some seem to think that it will improve sound and perhaps HP, but the more I read I seem to be leaning towards the idea that making any changes to the intake won't do much by itself and will more likely do more harm than good, (HP drop, MAF issues, etc)

But, it sure does look cool !

In the meantime, I'll order the rockauto hose, I had seen that when browsing online and avoid ebay, thx for the input.
Old 02-20-10, 05:19 PM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an aftermarket intake with a K&N air filter. I havent had any issues with the intake at all, it does make the engine sound a lot more agressive, esp. when you put pedal to the metal and gives a nice look when you open up your hood. As far as increase in performance, the jury is still out on that. I got my intake from weapon-R.com, but you can find them cheaper by searching via google. The way I look at it, the less restrictive the intake, the more air the engine can suck in faster. I also have a rebored throttle body, so having a less restrictive intake benefits me.
Old 05-12-20, 09:24 PM
Chapa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vcv

Originally Posted by Spimley
My 98 ES300 needs a replacement Air Cleaner Intake hose, it split and was causing some issues so for the short term I taped the crack until the new part is ordered and comes in.

Question 2) While I was poking around the threads, I saw some posters that were installing AM air filters, it made me wonder what your opinions may be regarding the Filter Itself. Right now its stock and very white (just replaced a couple months ago) so I won't replace the filter anytime soon, but when the time comes, I'm curious what you wrenchers think about staying stock or going after-market filters. Just so its clear, i'm posting examples of what i'm looking at , i'm stealing images from another thread for simplicity.

This is pretty much what mine looks like now. (photo's are from a 2001, mine is a 1998 but they are pretty similar)

This is an example of the intake Filter that I saw in another thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...air-box-2.html

For any of you that have had experience with intakes, will I really see any performance increase? A change in sound? Etc. Or should I just really stay away from the idea all together.

Any opinions appreciated.
what did you do with the VCV (vacuum control valve) did leave it hanging?? Or