ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Need help LH Front turn light flashing abnormal

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-10, 08:55 PM
hsiehd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help LH Front turn light flashing abnormal

My 93 ES300 the LH Front turn light flashing abnormal and Clearance is not light when turn the headlight on. The Clearance is light when turn on. The LH Front turn light flashing a little quick then normal flashing when not turn on the headlight. Turn on Hazard will flash even both side when not turn on headlight. Turn on Hazard will flash not even both side when turn on headlight. The turn light bulb is ok after check.
Did someone know what is my car problem in order I can fix it by myself?

Thank you
Old 03-19-10, 09:19 PM
AndyG
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine does the same with a fast flashing LH blinker and from what I've gathered, I need to pull the bulb out and clean the socket itself or perhaps there is another point of corrosion/exposed wire. Not 100% on this one and I haven't tried it just yet and am interested to hear any other ideas. I will post back after cleaning the bulb socket as to if this fixed my issue.
Old 03-19-10, 09:52 PM
CUMan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fast blinking turn signals (front) is a very common problem with the mid-90's ES models. This has been discussed numerous times on this forum, and you can probably locate some of these discussions by doing a search.

I had this problem several years ago on our 94 ES. Most people would assume that the bulb has gone bad, but that is not usually the case. After a lot of frustrating efforts to find a fix, I came to the conclusion that the problem is related to a design flaw in these cars.

When you pull out the headlight assembly where you can access the turn signal bulbs, you will note that the bulb sockets do not receive power through wires. Instead, they fit into printed circuits. I believe that this is where the problems arise. I was able to stop the fast blinking by cleaning the perimeter of the bulb sockets, where the socket contacts the printed circuit. If you will look at the bulb socket closely, you will note that it has three small raised points around the perimeter. This is where the socket makes its electrical connection with the car's electrical system. Use sandpaper and clean these three projections.

I think the weakness in this design is that the printed circuit and bulb socket are open to moisture and are thus prone to corrosion. This corrosion degrades the electrical connection and causes the fast blinking.

If the front turn signals were connected to the car's electrical system with the usual bulb sockets attached to wires, I don't think this problem would occur. The rear turn signals are connected with wires, and I have never heard of these causing the fast blinking problem.
Old 03-19-10, 11:43 PM
AndyG
Pole Position

Very informative, thank you CUMan.
Old 03-20-10, 03:03 PM
hsiehd
Driver School Candidate

Good information. The problem was solve after use sandpaper and clean these both side of three projections contact.

Thanks CUMan
Old 03-20-10, 06:30 PM
AndyG
Pole Position

Is it possible that dirty RH contacts would make the LH signal fast or is it usually the same signal having the issue?
Old 03-21-10, 08:15 PM
CUMan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyG
Is it possible that dirty RH contacts would make the LH signal fast or is it usually the same signal having the issue?
The problem will be on the side where the fast blinking is occurring.
Old 03-23-10, 06:28 AM
dcapo
Driver

i just ran into the same problem with one of my front corners blinking fast and all u do is just grab a screwdriver and remove the bulb and lift the connectors base inside a bit, worked like a charm for me, u can apply some electrical grease also