ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

DIY Dogbone for 1995 Lexus ES300 - questions!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-10, 12:09 PM
awaken
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Dogbone for 1995 Lexus ES300 - questions!

Hello all,

I was just told I needed a new Dogbone / Torque mount for my 1995 ES, while searching the forums here there are a few people who've done it themselves but not finding much info in the way of DIY instructions.

Is this something a non-mechanical person such as myself could do quite easily?

It seems I could tackle it, but I'm worried the engine would move it's position after the old dogbone is removed. Or does the engine stay in firmly in place?

The Advance Auto store near my house does have the part, but is that all I need? Do I need to pick up anything else to go along with this mount?

I have a Camry manual at home I'll be looking through tonite, but thought I'd check here first to see just how complicated a situation I'm getting into!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 03-30-10, 12:59 PM
S8KWR
Driver School Candidate

Its really easy on the 4 cyl Camry's, not sure about the V6, but should be pretty easy. On a second note, you may want to have the rest of your mounts inspected....if one mount goes out, it usually means that the rest of them are bad, or going bad as well. If you replace one bad mount, and the rest of them are bad you will be replacing that mount again very soon.

Good luck, check Toyota Nation for some diy in the 3rd generation Camry section.
Old 03-30-10, 01:19 PM
awaken
Driver School Candidate

Awesome thanks man! Much appreciated.

I'll be checking them as well since that is one of the useful hints I already got from a search.

I guess I had one last dumb question. Do you know if I theres a certain torque setting that the bolts have to be set to once the new ones in place?
Old 03-30-10, 02:17 PM
ASG14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's easy. I4 and V6, no differnece. As for torque, this is one of the things I don't worry about it. Just make sure it;s tight.

One piece of advice, park it on FLAT land when you change it as the engine will shift front/back on an angle making it harder to change.
Old 03-30-10, 04:52 PM
awaken
Driver School Candidate

Oh man... was that easy! Literally 7 minutes to do.

My mechanic was trying to charge me almost $100 to do it!

I used some PB blaster on the bolts, let it sit for a few minutes.

Unhooked a ground wire (connected to the power steering?) that crossed over top since it was in the way.

The anti-freeze overspill cap & hose were also a bit in the way so I opened it up and moved the cap to more suitable place.

Cranked anti-clockwise with a 14mm socket wrench (with about an 8" handle) to loosen up the bolt closer to the font of the car. Then loosened the on closer to the windshield. Both bolts were 14mm and came off quite easy.

Here I was worried about the engine shifting and losing bolt thread placement. Not a problem at all. *Phew* Carefully removed the old dogbone & put the new one in place.

It was a tight fit. I was able to get the bolt thread closest to the window synced up first. Put the bolt through and tightened a few turns. The bolt thread closer to the front was stubborn in getting into the slot, but easily overcome by a few light but forceful taps from a mallet. I at one point pushed it down too far but used my 8" socket wrench to move it back up by placing the end of it underneath the dogbone at about a 45 degree angle in a stationary spot and lifting up. I'm making it sound more difficult than it is...

Once it lined up the bolt went in and cranked em tight. The engine was moving quite a bit before & through the crack between the hood and the dashboard I was able to see that the engine hardly moved at all.

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated!!
Old 03-30-10, 07:55 PM
S8KWR
Driver School Candidate

No problem at all, youll find that you can do pretty much anything you want if you put in the effort of searching for the instructions. Someone else has done it, and ill bet they posted info on how to do it, just gotta find it. You can add me to your aim list if youd like (lowriskscc)

Last edited by S8KWR; 03-30-10 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-30-10, 08:17 PM
awaken
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by S8KWR
No problem at all, youll find that you can do pretty much anything you want if you put in the effort of searching for the instructions. Someone else has done it, and ill bet they posted info on how to do it, just gotta find it. You can add me to your aim list if youd like (lowriskscc)
Thanks man, appreciate it & I'll keep your info handy.

Next up is brake hose replacement... Searched around a bit and found an excellent DIY w/photos for that.
Old 03-30-10, 08:23 PM
ASG14
Lexus Test Driver

If you need a couple other little things on the brake hose replacement, kinda follow steps. It's more then just the hose but those theps are just for the hose.
http://camryperformance.com/DIY/Rear_Drum_to_Disc.html

2, 4, 6, 14, 15
Old 03-31-10, 01:27 PM
awaken
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ASG14
If you need a couple other little things on the brake hose replacement, kinda follow steps. It's more then just the hose but those theps are just for the hose.
http://camryperformance.com/DIY/Rear_Drum_to_Disc.html

2, 4, 6, 14, 15

Nice. I'm only tackling the front ones though... From the previous DIY I read it's pretty much the same directions for the front, right?
Old 03-31-10, 10:25 PM
ASG14
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, same thing.

Keep in mind, the Left and Right hoses are different.