ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Head Light cover has condensation on them at all times?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-10, 12:24 AM
EsLexusEs3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Light cover has condensation on them at all times?

My head light cover, like the glass, has condensation on them and its looks foggy. It looks like i just sprayed them with a hose and the water is just sitting there and trying to evaporate but has no place to go.

Anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it? If i take them off and wipe them clean, do you think perhaps that will fix the problem? Thanks a lot.
Old 04-03-10, 12:39 AM
mikeli689
Driver

Could you post a picture? That'd definitely help with describing your current situation. What it sounds like to me though is that your lense is dirty and perhaps you may need a headlight restoration kit. I used a 3M resoration kit on my 2ES and it did wonders.
Old 04-03-10, 01:01 AM
EsLexusEs3
Driver School Candidate

Ill snap a pic in the morning or asap. Where can i find the 3m restoration kit?
Old 04-03-10, 07:02 AM
mikeli689
Driver

I got mine off of Amazon for about 15 bucks shipped. It's better than paying hundreds for a new headlight.

[url]
Old 04-03-10, 07:11 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OP, please make sure it is inside or outside the light first. If its inside, the 3M kit wont do jack squat in there. You'll have to bake them open and clean it manually. Hopefully you won't have to go through that route...
Old 04-03-10, 08:20 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

^^ What i have on mine is that the chrome itself seems to be the culprit and yellowed out with time! :|
Old 04-03-10, 09:21 PM
EsLexusEs3
Driver School Candidate

Default Pic of how it looks

I seen a restoration kit at Wal-Mart for like 20 bucks might go n grab that... but ill look around on the net n see whats good out there. What are your thoughts on what I could do since youve seen the pic Thank You
Attached Thumbnails Head Light cover has condensation on them at all times?-img_0061.jpg  
Old 04-03-10, 09:47 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
^^ What i have on mine is that the chrome itself seems to be the culprit and yellowed out with time! :|
Rechrome it! Or you can just paint it black. The beam pattern comes from the projector itself so the chrome just makes unnecessary glare for oncoming traffic. I smoked my headlights slightly to get rid of the yellow/hazing effect
Originally Posted by EsLexusEs3
I seen a restoration kit at Wal-Mart for like 20 bucks might go n grab that... but ill look around on the net n see whats good out there. What are your thoughts on what I could do since youve seen the pic Thank You
Avoid the kit for now because you'll just waste $30. What you need now is to bake them open, remove all the moisture, stick a silica packet (gel packet from shoe boxes) in there, then seal it back up with silicone thoroughly. With a bit of luck, that will solve your condensation problem

Once that is done, look at the headlights again. If they are yellow, take some metal polish and smear it with no pressure on the outer lens. Let it sit for 5-10 min and remove. All the yellowing will be gone. I use Blue Magic Metal Polish

Good luck bud
Old 04-03-10, 09:52 PM
R1R
Driver

The Wal-Mart 3M kit won't fix that. That is for the outside of the headlight.

Your problem is on the inside of the lens. You either have a bad seal, or the headlight air vent is blocked. There should be a vent with a rubber attachment in the back of the headlight that lets moisture out.

The easiest thing to do would be to to bake both headlights in the oven, take them apart and reseal them again.

Or sometimes, turning on your headlights will dry them out on the inside, but if you have a bad seal, it will keep coming back. Also, if you live in a humid area, that doesn't help either.
Old 04-03-10, 10:28 PM
EsLexusEs3
Driver School Candidate

I was reading that in the owner’s manual, that there was a vent. I havent looked but deff will now. LOL bake them? seriously? Just take them off and put em in the oven? What temp n how long then?

I have no idea what "chrome" you guys are talking about? Is it around the head light?
How do you "smoke" them out or paint the "chrome" black?

Thanks guys, appreciate your feed back a lot!
Old 04-04-10, 12:55 AM
mikeli689
Driver

Yep definitely pass on the 3m kit for now. I think what they mean by baking your headlights is to put them in the oven for 2-3 minutes at 300 degrees (long enough for the sealant to start to get soft). Hopefully by the time you take them out they'll be dry on the inside too. If not,take the headlight apart using a wide flat object, such as a trim remover. Take your time with this. It'll be frustrating. If it seems that it might not be budging use a heat gun (or a hair dryer if you don't have one) around the edges. Next, after you've opened it up, it's time for you to clean them up. When you're done cleaning them, put the headlight back together. Again throw it back in the oven for a couple minutes. I'm not sure how good your seal is at this point but if you inspect the area and it doesn't look too good apply a layer of 100% silicone around the trim area to seal the area just a bit more. Next use as many clamps as you can (the more the better) to clamp the headlight closed in as many areas as possibly. By doing this it'll make sure you have a nice tight seal and so you don't get any holes or cracks for water/moisture to get in in the future. Finally after it's done drying, reinstall your headlights and hopefully no more condensation in the housing!

Good luck.

Last edited by mikeli689; 04-04-10 at 01:06 AM.
Old 04-04-10, 07:25 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Rechrome it! Or you can just paint it black. The beam pattern comes from the projector itself so the chrome just makes unnecessary glare for oncoming traffic. I smoked my headlights slightly to get rid of the yellow/hazing effect
I have a 3ES. That's a no go. I tried sanding but the yellow comes right back.
Old 04-04-10, 04:48 PM
R1R
Driver

LOL bake them? seriously? Just take them off and put em in the oven? What temp n how long then?
Yes, bake them. Do a search on Google and you will find tons of resources. It sounds crazy and scary at first, but it is very simple and easy. I have done my fog lights. If you have a convection oven, it works even better, because it distributes heat very evenly.

Basically, preheat the oven to around 250 and leave each of your headlights in there for 5-8 minutes. Do one at a time. After you take it out of the oven, carefully pry it apart with a large flat head screw driver. You might have to put back in the oven for it to completely come apart. The sealant will become very soft and you will be able to pull it apart.

After you are done cleaning or painting or whatever you want, apply 100% silicone around or on top of the previous sealant and press the two parts back together again. Preheat the oven again and put it back in. Everything will get soft and you can press it back together firmly. You should not have to mess with it ever again. Also, make sure the air vent is clear on the headlight.
Old 04-04-10, 11:35 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
I have a 3ES. That's a no go. I tried sanding but the yellow comes right back.
Sand, remove the yellow, then paint over it with some automotive grade clear coat. It should prevent the yellowing from coming back for a while
Old 04-07-10, 12:38 AM
EsLexusEs3
Driver School Candidate

Where is the air vent on the headlights?? I was looking earlier but couldnt find them. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Head Light cover has condensation on them at all times?