ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Possible problem with transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-10, 06:10 AM
gindyo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I can confirm that is by design. I had a 94 Camry which did the same thing so I did some research. I read in a repair manual that the transmission is designed to not switch to overdrive until it reaches certain temperature. I am not sure what was the exact temperature, but it was the second line on the temp gauge. Now my 98 es300 does the same thing so I am not worried.
Old 04-09-10, 05:38 PM
mikeli689
Driver

Good to know. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-27-13, 07:26 PM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

I'd typed out the stuff below before finding this thread.....

So can I assume all is actually normal??? It's just that I don't recall this happening during the first 2 months of me having the car, tho I haven't driven it an awful lot

1992 Windom / ES300

When I start the car up usually first time for the day and drive off the auto transmission seems to be holding onto either 1st or 2nd gear way too long, it basically won't shift into 3rd & 4th. I don't think this is normal even if it is cold and hasn't warmed up...???

After a few minutes driving gently things seem to come right and it revs and shifts as one would expect it too.

I suspect the trans hasn't been serviced in a very long time, tho I can't find any evidence of exactly when it was last serviced.

Clearly I need to give it some new fluid and get the old stuff out... There is quite a list of things I need to do to the car, and I'm not entirely sure how to prioritise some of these issues as my budget is next to nothing, so I'll do whatever I can myself with help from the forums, youtube and anywhere else I can get help.

Is the trans not shifting into the higher gears a sign of the trans about to explode? Or is it just general wear & tear.

For the time being I was going to stick some Nulon Transmission treatment in it in hope it might do something useful. I know it would be better to get it flushed and replace ATF then put it in, but I'll just put another bottle in once I do get the old stuff out and some new ATF in. Is this Nulon Trans Treatment likely to be of any help?

I also know the trans filter should probably be replaced - it's on the list...

So do I need to just sit and let the car warm up for 5-10 minutes before driving when it's cold(petrol is so damn expensive in NZ!)

The transmission not shifting like this when cold is giving me memories of my 92 Gtst Skyline - the transmission blew on it. Before it blew it would often hold onto a gear to near the red line - however this was happening hot & cold.

The car has approx 210,000kms on it..... First what should I do that I can likely do myself (I'm no mechanic but don't mind giving stuff a go).

Secondly regarding getting the trans flushed and fluid replaced, should I go for the option at a shop where they use a machine to remove every drop of the old stuff, or should I go for the drain a bit, add a bit approach over a couple of weeks??? (read somewhere about nightmare results after giving older auto trannys a full flush and replacement)

3rd I read somewhere about installing an external magnetic filter for the transmission - I presume these were not factory fitted - good idea? but probably not a fix for whatever the issue is...

Aside from replacing the transmission and getting a new car which are not options at the moment does anyone have any helpful suggestions for me?
Old 01-01-14, 06:49 AM
smcshane
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the note on the delay in ES300 shifting, makes sense with colder weather.
Old 01-01-14, 09:08 AM
mitmaks
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JBrew
I bought a 1999 ES 300 & after driving it for a week I was having the same issues. I brought it to Juffy Lube & had the trans fluid flushed, but it's still the same. Like another post said after the car warms up the transmission is fine
Taking your car to Jiffy lube is your first mistake...
Old 01-02-14, 10:35 PM
zooey
Driver School Candidate

My 99 ES is shifting hard when its cold out, and not shifting from 3rd to 4th until the temp gauge is a couple notched up. Once the engine and tranny is warm, it shifts normally. From what I read, this is somewhat normal for having 150,000 miles. I'm a bit relieved, but still cautious.
Old 01-03-14, 08:53 AM
mitmaks
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On our 96 lexus es300 with 186,000 miles it had same "hard shift" problem. A little bit later ECU went out. I had it sent out to be rebuilt, now car shifts smooth and runs like brand new. Might want to change to synthetic fluid.
Old 01-03-14, 09:00 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by zooey
My 99 ES is shifting hard when its cold out, and not shifting from 3rd to 4th until the temp gauge is a couple notched up. Once the engine and tranny is warm, it shifts normally. From what I read, this is somewhat normal for having 150,000 miles. I'm a bit relieved, but still cautious.
You should feel totally relieved. This is how they all shift when cold. Toyota/Lexus designed it such that the engine will heat up faster, causing less pollution. It has nothing to do with how many Miles on the car.

Your transmission is just fine.

Phil
Old 01-03-14, 08:28 PM
skikin2001
Driver School Candidate

I am new to a Lexus. I have an 05 ES330 with 48,000 miles on it. Its super cold here in the morning and mines does the warm up stuff like everyone mentioned. Its fine if I let it warm up for about 5 mins before moving.

I do have a question about when I am slowing down to a stop though. It seems like as I am slowing down it downshifts. I can feel it just slightly and the rpm will bounce up while I am slowing down and downshifting. Is this a normal occurrence of the rpm gauge moving slight upwards while downshifting?
Its been about 6 years since I every day drove I was away from country and this is my first automatic transmission vehicle...and Lexus.
Old 01-04-14, 05:33 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by skikin2001
I am new to a Lexus. I have an 05 ES330 with 48,000 miles on it. Its super cold here in the morning and mines does the warm up stuff like everyone mentioned. Its fine if I let it warm up for about 5 mins before moving.

I do have a question about when I am slowing down to a stop though. It seems like as I am slowing down it downshifts. I can feel it just slightly and the rpm will bounce up while I am slowing down and downshifting. Is this a normal occurrence of the rpm gauge moving slight upwards while downshifting?
Its been about 6 years since I every day drove I was away from country and this is my first automatic transmission vehicle...and Lexus.
Yes, it is normal for it to downshift when braking.