ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Possible problem with transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-10, 10:10 AM
mikeli689
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible problem with transmission?

I have a 2ES and I noticed recently that when I do a cold start (in the morning), there is some sort of hesitation in the shifting. When I put it in drive and step on the gas, the RPMs will go up to about 3000-3500 before shifting into second, and same for second going into third. Shifting into fourth and fifth is normal though. Also I should add that when the engine's already warm, the shifting occurs properly. What seems to be wrong?
Old 04-06-10, 11:13 AM
trk1
Rookie

i don't think there's any problem, my 96 acts like that too. once it goes up to the fist notch on the temp gauge, the shifts normally. just give it a bit of time to warm up.
Old 04-06-10, 09:38 PM
mikeli689
Driver

I don't think my mom (the last user of the car) experienced anything when she owned this car...

And like I said, this just started to occur not too long ago; it hasn't always been like this.
Old 04-07-10, 01:38 AM
ASG14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have a 5-speed Automatic???????????????????
Old 04-07-10, 05:39 AM
JBrew
Driver School Candidate

Default ES 300 trans

I bought a 1999 ES 300 & after driving it for a week I was having the same issues. I brought it to Juffy Lube & had the trans fluid flushed, but it's still the same. Like another post said after the car warms up the transmission is fine
Old 04-07-10, 08:10 AM
vexthelex
Driver School Candidate

my 95es (195,000) does something simular,doesn,t want to shift very quickly cold,but does fine after a few min. want to do a fluid/filter change but kinda scared to. my 4 runner started to act funny, so i serviced it's tranny filter n all, then a month later it took a dump on me.different vechicle, but its still sitting still, and i'm still lookin 4 a tranny,and leary of touching a high mileage tranny any more.i'll be watching this post 4 updates 4 sure
Old 04-07-10, 08:31 AM
frohboy33
Driver

Its a design of the system. The fluid must be 55 degrees faraheit before shifting occurs normally. Its supposed to help protect the transmission.
Old 04-07-10, 01:53 PM
intermec
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

same thing on my 97 Camry. it roll back from stop (kind of like driving a manual) on a hill side. It takes a couple second before the tranny engaged. High RMP before it will shift....
Did some search online and most people suggest checking ATF level, replace AT filter. I check the ATF, it seems ok. I am going to drop my car off at the dealer and see what they will say.

The last thing I want to hear is a big $$$ replacement.
Old 04-07-10, 01:57 PM
BoostedE21
Pole Position

I'm going to say it's probably a torque converter issue. they operate based on hydraulic flow, unlike the gears within the transmission, which are constantly meshed and have gears controlled by locking the position of one or the other within the planetary gear set. So huge amounts of play in your revs would probably be caused to a worn out torque converter - because if you fractured the teeth on the helical gears within your planetary gear set, your transmission would be toast.
Old 04-07-10, 02:51 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

This is normal behavior, in cold temps or until the car warms up. The car delays shifts to warm up the fluid. The car also wont go into overdrive till it's at optimum operating temperature. All of the above are normal when it's cold outside and the car isn't at operating temp.
Old 04-07-10, 05:46 PM
snowmanfs
Driver School Candidate

I had the same issue with the transmission not engaging into first gear and rough shifts, until it finally started to slip out on the highway as well, (95' es300). I tried fluid/filter changes and even a trans flush later when there was no improvement from just new fluid. I don't think temperature was the issue in the long run. I'm sure there are controls to self protect the transmission but there could also be other issues that nobody has brought up yet. Mine eventually died in the summer, (Canadian summer) when a low temperature could not be the issue and it wasn't overheating.

In the end I replaced my transmission at about 300,000 miles with a used transmission with under 100,000 miles on it for $1400 driving away. The solenoid pack needed to be replaced on the "new" one with the set that came off my car so they also were not the issue.

Been driving just fine since then and I have added another 40k miles since then with no regrets about getting the work done to keep an excellent car on the road for a few more years.
Old 04-07-10, 06:50 PM
mikeli689
Driver

Originally Posted by ASG14
It's a 4-speed auto.

Originally Posted by snowmanfs
I had the same issue with the transmission not engaging into first gear and rough shifts, until it finally started to slip out on the highway as well, (95' es300). I tried fluid/filter changes and even a trans flush later when there was no improvement from just new fluid. I don't think temperature was the issue in the long run. I'm sure there are controls to self protect the transmission but there could also be other issues that nobody has brought up yet. Mine eventually died in the summer, (Canadian summer) when a low temperature could not be the issue and it wasn't overheating.

In the end I replaced my transmission at about 300,000 miles with a used transmission with under 100,000 miles on it for $1400 driving away. The solenoid pack needed to be replaced on the "new" one with the set that came off my car so they also were not the issue.

Been driving just fine since then and I have added another 40k miles since then with no regrets about getting the work done to keep an excellent car on the road for a few more years.
Wow that stinks. I hope my car doesn't end up dying like that and leading me to spend that much $$$ to fix it. And also, today was pretty warm and I don't think I noticed any hesitation in the shifting from a cold start...
Old 04-07-10, 07:57 PM
kaldES98
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ASG14
That was the first thing that came to my mind when I read this post too =p
Old 04-07-10, 08:34 PM
mikeli689
Driver

Originally Posted by kaldES98
That was the first thing that came to my mind when I read this post too =p
Yeah lol my bad. I just realized what I'd said. But I was just referring to the car shifting into fifth, not me shifting into fifth.
Old 04-08-10, 10:24 AM
dallison
Intermediate

normal, these are slow shifting transmissions esp when they get old.

Quick Reply: Possible problem with transmission?