ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Do I have HID lights??

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-10, 09:03 PM
orion603
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Do I have HID lights??

Hello all. I am a newbie and car illiterate and hopefully I get an answer here.
I've tried searching an answer but couldn't really get the answers I needed.

I have 2005 ES 330 and RX300. I can tell I have HIDs on my RX but I am not sure if I have HIDs on my ES. If I don't, how can I tell if I just halogen lights?

Do I tell by auto leveling feature that my RX has? All HIDs have auto leveling feature?

If I don't have HID bulbs, can I just buy HID bulbs and replace them with HIDs without replacing the housing or any harness?

Thanks for your answer in advance.
Old 04-14-10, 09:07 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

You should be able to tell by the bulb you have. How about try taking it off.
Old 04-14-10, 09:14 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

This is real simple to answer, is the light that's emitted yellow or white? I shouldn't say that though, because I have a friend whose color blind, so if you have trouble telling post up a night time picture and we should be able to tell you right away.
Old 04-14-10, 09:17 PM
orion603
Rookie

Originally Posted by GoodRevs
This is real simple to answer, is the light that's emitted yellow or white? I shouldn't say that though, because I have a friend whose color blind, so if you have trouble telling post up a night time picture and we should be able to tell you right away.

there's definitely difference between RX and ES's colors. ES is more yellowish. If that determines halogen bulbs, can those bulbs be replaced with HIDs without additional parts?

Thanks!
Old 04-14-10, 09:35 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by orion603
If that determines halogen bulbs, can those bulbs be replaced with HIDs without additional parts?
Sounds like Halogens. No, you'd need additional parts, mainly a ballast which powers the HID's. You can either plug the ballast directly into the plug for your halogens or use a relay harness which connects the ballasts to the battery. You ES is still relatively new, you should be able to find all OEM Lexus equipment if you wanted to proceed with installing HID's.

On a side note, I didn't even know halogen projectors were offered for an 05 ES, I don't remember halogens even being an option when we bought our 03 ES, maybe it was standard with nav.
Old 04-15-10, 05:34 PM
orion603
Rookie

Originally Posted by GoodRevs
Sounds like Halogens. No, you'd need additional parts, mainly a ballast which powers the HID's. You can either plug the ballast directly into the plug for your halogens or use a relay harness which connects the ballasts to the battery. You ES is still relatively new, you should be able to find all OEM Lexus equipment if you wanted to proceed with installing HID's.

On a side note, I didn't even know halogen projectors were offered for an 05 ES, I don't remember halogens even being an option when we bought our 03 ES, maybe it was standard with nav.
Thanks for the answers. I've been doing some research and there are quite a lot of HID conversion kits ranging around $60 which seems too cheap. Hopefully, I get to find the right ones and replace those halogens soon.

Thanks!!
Old 04-15-10, 10:37 PM
peter1965
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi there. from the research i have done here in Aussie many conversion kits are illegal (thus make your car unroadworthy) as the "halogen" housings and lense assemblies are designed for halogens rather than HID. From the YouTube videos that i have seen the light spread from the HIDs is different to that from the halogens and thus has the potential to dazzle oncoming drivers. I like your comment re the cost of them - sounds too cheap hey. Cheers, Peter.
Old 04-16-10, 07:48 PM
orion603
Rookie

Originally Posted by peter1965
hi there. from the research i have done here in Aussie many conversion kits are illegal (thus make your car unroadworthy) as the "halogen" housings and lense assemblies are designed for halogens rather than HID. From the YouTube videos that i have seen the light spread from the HIDs is different to that from the halogens and thus has the potential to dazzle oncoming drivers. I like your comment re the cost of them - sounds too cheap hey. Cheers, Peter.
Yeah, I was also wondering if I needed to replace housing in order to replace halogen with HID bulbs. Would light spread too high or too strong from HID bulbs if I still keep the same housing?
Old 04-17-10, 02:25 AM
Kellyy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure you have HID if its a 2005 es. I have a 2002 es and HID was stock. What do you mean by auto leveling feature? When you turn on your headlights and it first shines down and then rises? No that doesn't determine if it's HID. But yea you should post up a picture.
Old 04-17-10, 08:33 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

I'm pretty sure you do have HIDs...

Why would Lexus have two separate options?

One was the cheap 'halogen' housing - so no projectors, and no leveling feature.

You describe that you have both, so you have HIDs to my knowledge. It wouldn't make sense the have the self-leveling and a projector yet only stick in a halogen bulb.

I cannot be quoted 100% since i am not aware of the changes & features they offered in 2005.
Old 04-17-10, 01:35 PM
orion603
Rookie

Apparently, it seems I have halogen bulbs. It says, "Philips H11 LL 12v 55w" on the back of the bulbs.

The above image Philips H11 LL bulbs.
If I go ahead and replace with HIDs with ballasts, would it still too bright for others without complete factory HID setup? I do want to have brighter vision at night but don't want to bring danger to the drivers opposite side.
Old 04-17-10, 02:12 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

^^ You'll be fine. Go right ahead.

Depends on the car in many cases, but certain cars have it better than others.

You have the projectors, so they will be much better than my HID in halogen housing setup.