ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Premium, middle grade or regular? (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-02, 07:57 PM
1994es300
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only see 87, 89 and 91 here is SoCal and I always put 89 octane in just cuz I think its better for the car but my reasoning is pretty unfounded. I would be interested if different grades of gas effect performance and reliability of the car.
I am proned to think that higher octane gas burns cleaner and leaves the engine with less residue perhaps reducing the chance of some malfunction of some sort.
And I always hear that the brand of gas you buy makes a difference.

People in SoCal say that ARCO gas is crap and you should not put it in your car- but its almost always the cheapest. It seemd like Chevron has the best reputation but is typically more expensive.
Old 08-15-02, 11:57 PM
SDSC300
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by kreativ

The V6 Camry and ES use the same engine, but the ES has VVT-i and is tuned for more power (or, you could say the Camry V6 was detuned). I'm assuming the almost 20HP more is at least partly dependant on the use of 91 octane fuel.

Good point. Although didn't previous ES owner's manual specify 87 octane?
ok well in 98 I beleive the ES got VVT-i and a slight power gain but compression is still the same 98-01 which means 87 octane should be fine its still the same engine just without vvti which shouldn't affect detonation. But I wouldn't personaly uses anything lower than 89 really 88.5 in cali :-( it rounds up

oh and did the ES owners manual say 87 ? it sounded like they weren't sure?
Old 08-16-02, 02:32 AM
kreativ
Advanced

Originally posted by SDSC300

ok well in 98 I beleive the ES got VVT-i and a slight power gain but compression is still the same 98-01 which means 87 octane should be fine its still the same engine just without vvti which shouldn't affect detonation. But I wouldn't personaly uses anything lower than 89 really 88.5 in cali :-( it rounds up

oh and did the ES owners manual say 87 ? it sounded like they weren't sure?
ya know...I read that the compression ratio was the same for the '02 V6 Camry and ES as well (10.5:1 right?) Which makes sense since the '02 engine is a carryover from the previous generation. Lexus claims to have made many internal improvements...probably to be able to meet ULEV standard.

So in these engines, what octane fuel that's required is only dependant on the compression ratio?
Old 08-16-02, 12:51 PM
SDSC300
Lead Lap

Originally posted by kreativ

ya know...I read that the compression ratio was the same for the '02 V6 Camry and ES as well (10.5:1 right?) Which makes sense since the '02 engine is a carryover from the previous generation. Lexus claims to have made many internal improvements...probably to be able to meet ULEV standard.

So in these engines, what octane fuel that's required is only dependant on the compression ratio?
Im not saying everyone go and buy cheap gas its really only a few $ more each time you fill up, but yes octane is directly related to compression, and how much the gas can take before it ignites
if anyone has tried 87 and then 89 and the car seems to run better, or get better mpg on 89 then use it but I think that 91+is overkill. generally high performance engines use high octane and have high(er) compression

but I myself use 91.
Old 08-24-02, 05:09 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Here is a great article from the FTC on octane. The bottom line, unless your owner's manual requires higher octane, you are wasting $$$$$

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/autos/octane.htm
Old 02-04-03, 01:28 PM
equick
Driver School Candidate

Default '92 es300 - Premium Fuel???

Hey guys/gals,
I've had my car for over 6 months now, and have been using regular 87 octane since I got it. I read in an old article somewhere that the pre '94 cars required premium fuel. Is this correct??? I have had no pinging on acceleration, and I don't push the car anyway (it's slow compared to my GN and bike)
Just curious. I don't see any signs/stickers that dictate the exclusive use of premium fuel.
Who's right and who's wrong???
Thanks!
Erik Quick
Old 02-04-03, 04:37 PM
Luc
Pit Crew

If you have your owner's manual, it should state that 87-octane is good enough to use. The knock sensors will adjust the car accordingly, but having higher octance isn't a necessity. Your engine is a 3VZ-FE, same as my Camry, and I haven't had any troubles with using 87-grade. Now, for you GN, you would probably need to use a higher octane due to forced induction.

Luc
Old 02-21-03, 05:36 PM
chili_king
Driver School Candidate

Default premium fuel really necessary ?

Just purchased a '95 ES 300. Have ordered a manual (didn't come with one). Anyway, have read from a couple sources that premium fuel is required. This really necessary to maintain a clean motor and performance?

I know my son has a '91 Acura Legend Coupe which is said to require premium fuel. But he's been burning regular since purchasing last year, without any drop off in performance.

thanx.
Old 02-21-03, 07:47 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

premium gas has better cleaners and other additives that are higher than regular gas
octane makes a really big diff in turbos and supercharger cars not so much in ours as to keep the engine from predetonating (causing an explosion too early)damaging it
just changes the timing by advancing or retarding it to compensate.
using regular gas will have an effect over a few tanks of gas as the engine (1mzfe) constantly readjusts

just a fun fact i learned when i was in school(as an automotive tech ).
In the 80's when premium gas came out with 2 grades the new premium was the same old regular one with a new price(higher of course)
while the regular gas was a new & improved lower grade of gas for the same price
makes you just want to hug an oil exec ( really hope none are on this board)

oh and in regards to the spoiler post you made
there are alot out there of them out there that fit but they don't look right to me
i really want a m5 lip spoiler just a little kick at the back but not enough to see from space
hope this helps

www.deucecom.net buy&sell anything in T.O.
Old 02-21-03, 08:11 PM
chili_king
Driver School Candidate

'preciate the word, SK.
Old 02-21-03, 08:11 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the manual will probably call for an octane rating of 91. (the '02 does) Hug that oil exec again (and the lexus exec), the gas stations in New England sell three octanes: 87, 89, and 93 (94 is a fourth one at Sunoco only).

So where is the 91?

I run the 93 and utter a few obsenities as I'm pumping. I tried the 89 and got some knocking.

Someone suggested every 1/2 a tank, alternate between 89 and the 93 to create the 91. Frankly, I wouldn't remeber which was pumped last so I just go with 93 and play it safe.

steviej
Old 02-21-03, 08:22 PM
chili_king
Driver School Candidate

SK: what's the M5 spoiler? Stevie posted the spoiler at this link:

http://www.spoilerdepot.com/Catalog....Year=1995&idB=

whatcha think ?
Old 02-21-03, 10:13 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the owner's manual for the 94-96 only called for 87. The 3VZ-FE in the 92-93 requires premium, but I'm pretty sure the 1MZ-FE doesn't (the older ones without VVT-i, 94-98). I use 89 in my '96, have great power, and never noticed knocking. I dump Techron in the tank every 3000 miles.
Old 02-21-03, 10:32 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

wow that spoiler is real nice not as sutle as the m5 one but nice
the bmw m5 2001 up is just about 1 1/2 inches deep and 1 inch high but it just adds a perfect edge i love it
but that one at that price on the site i like alot
Old 02-22-03, 04:01 PM
Mr_Mollari
Driver School Candidate

the manual will probably call for an octane rating of 91. (the '02 does) Hug that oil exec again (and the lexus exec), the gas stations in New England sell three octanes: 87, 89, and 93 (94 is a fourth one at Sunoco only).

So where is the 91?
91 octane is "premium" out here in California, and some points east (AZ, I think). Most stations are pricing mid-grade $0.10-0.15 less, which is $2.00/tank less than premium. Decision is up to you.

Quick Reply: Premium, middle grade or regular? (merged threads)