ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

remote Turn On Wire From Radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-10, 01:24 PM
Audacity
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default remote Turn On Wire From Radio

I have a 2000 ES300 Platinum with the Nakamichi stereo. I'm going to add my sub and amp to the stock system and remove the stock sub from the rear deck.
I've got a few questions:
1) After I remove the AC trim above the stock radio how do I finish removing the radio? Do I just remove the two bolts that have become visible and lift the whole radio/trim assembly up to gain access to the back of the radio?
2) Can anyone tell me which wire from the back of the radio is the remote turn on/off for the stock amp? (I'll splice the remote on/off wire for my aftermarket amp into this wire.)
3) Where is the stock amp and how do I gain access to it?
4) Any thoughts on the best place in the trunk to run a 4 gauge ground wire to?
Thanks for any help...Martin

P.S. The link in the DIY section doesn't work.
Old 05-17-10, 03:28 PM
zajac
Driver

Originally Posted by Audacity
I have a 2000 ES300 Platinum with the Nakamichi stereo. I'm going to add my sub and amp to the stock system and remove the stock sub from the rear deck.
1) After I remove the AC trim above the stock radio how do I finish removing the radio? Do I just remove the two bolts that have become visible and lift the whole radio/trim assembly up to gain access to the back of the radio?
2) Can anyone tell me which wire from the back of the radio is the remote turn on/off for the stock amp? (I'll splice the remote on/off wire for my aftermarket amp into this wire.)

1.) Remove the two bolts that become exposed and then remove the trim piece between the ash tray and climate control, you will find two more bolts. Pull out the radio and climate control, disconnect the harnesses and you're set.
2.) I ran mine to the fuse box, but I forgot which fuse. Basically anything that turns on when the car is started.
3.) Stock amp in a 2000 is behind the glove box. You must removethe glove box to gain access to it.
4.) I drilled a hole behind the carpeting in the trunk. On the drivers side, pull down the carpeting, nothing but metal. Pick a spot, drill a tiny hole, get a screw, wrap it around and screw it in.

GL
Old 05-17-10, 03:29 PM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

1). You have to also remove the piece of trim right above the ash tray. Put a flat head next to it and it should pop out. You need to remove a total of 4 bolts to get the head unit out.

2). I can't remember which one it was. you will have to dig in the forums for the diagram. You can also just tap into the wire and test it if needed.

3). The stock amp is located behind the glove box. You have to remove the entire glove box to gain access to it.

4). I had to take out my back seat and ran it right through where the compartment opens. There should be the corners where you can run the power wire.
Old 05-17-10, 07:18 PM
Audacity
Driver

Thanks a lot guys. Big help! Anyone out there no which wire from the stock head unit is the remote on/off for the stock amp?
Old 05-17-10, 07:35 PM
zajac
Driver

LOL i was like why is PlatES writing the same answers, just realized we both were typing at the same time.
Old 05-18-10, 05:41 PM
Audacity
Driver

Anyone.....????
Old 05-18-10, 08:37 PM
zajac
Driver

dude just run it to the cigarette lighter fuse in your fuse box, much easier
Old 05-18-10, 09:18 PM
Audacity
Driver

No - I'm going to do it right. The amp/sub will turn on/off with the radio.
Old 05-19-10, 04:02 PM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

No - I'm going to do it right. The amp/sub will turn on/off with the radio.
you're in luck today. I finally got time to take out my head unit. I tapped into this wire when I hardwired my radar detector.

Old 05-19-10, 04:30 PM
Audacity
Driver

Thanks PlatES300. Does your radar detector turn on/off with the radio or the ignition?
Old 05-19-10, 04:52 PM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Thanks PlatES300. Does your radar detector turn on/off with the radio or the ignition?
ignition. once the key is in the accessory position, it will power on. even if the radio is turned off, there is still power going to my radar.
Old 05-20-10, 06:21 PM
Audacity
Driver

Thanks PlatES300, but I need to be able to turn the amp off - I've got to find the remote turn on/off for the stock amp.
Old 08-02-10, 02:13 AM
robertoyou
Advanced

did u ever find it?

there are some remote turn on adapters that you can buy/use. their pretty cheap too. i had one installed in my car when i got my first sub/amp combo in my gs. it turned the amp on/off with radio. it basically used the signal from the speaker wires to turn on and off.