ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

What is this....

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-02, 07:46 PM
blux
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What is this....

lol....been wondering what this is for a while....could be a few things....yeah... heres the pic.
Attached Thumbnails What is this....-dash.jpg  
Old 06-20-02, 09:04 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

that's the light sensor. turn your car on during the day, and cover the thing up with like a magazine or something. your gauge cluster should darken, telling you "it's nighttime, turn your headlights on". but i still don't know why yours is wood pattern.
Old 06-21-02, 06:38 AM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nah, that's the reciever for the remote unlock, if you aren't facing directly at it, it takes longer to recieve the signal, but it still will recieve it.
Old 06-21-02, 07:58 AM
blux
Pole Position

well, its wood pattern because thats how the interior of my car is.
Old 06-21-02, 07:59 AM
blux
Pole Position

where is the temperature sensor located? Is it below the foglights? oh and by the way, I dont have anything that tells me to turn on my headlights...so?
Old 06-21-02, 08:19 AM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

no, i think the temp sensor is under the car somewhere. ive noticed that it doesnt get that effect of getting really high temp reading when you leave your car in the sun all day while you're in school. it only seems to go up one degree or something unlike some cars which read 115 when you get back in them. smart thinking on lexus' part. the reason i think that this is the remote unlock sensor is because when i get out of my car and put up my window shade, well, the shade blocks my view of the sensor from the rear of the car, so when i press the lock button, it takes a few presses or i have to walk around the car some to help it recieve the signal. there is nothing to tell you to turn on your headlights
Old 06-21-02, 09:25 AM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

ok i strongly believe this is the light thingie. i remember asking my dad about it when i was a kid. so let's say you're driving during the day and you enter a dark tunnel. unless you have automatic headlights, your gauge would go dark. and also, when i get back to my car, the maximum temp. reading i have ever gotten was i believe 118 or so. i don't remember but i'll try to get a pic of that if i can.
Old 06-21-02, 11:16 AM
TheBigGuyRy
Driver

I also originally thought it was a light thing, but I'm gonna go with Eric on this one, because those light sensors only exist on cars with automatic lights...

That's why when you're in a tunnel or parking deck some people's lights automatically go on.

The instrument lighting is brighter when you don't have your lights on. Haven't you noticed that when you turn your lights on all the interior lights dim?

It's brighter so you can see it even through the brightness of the sun.
Old 06-21-02, 12:15 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Exactly. The "Optitron" dash on the '92-'96 is actually backlit brighter during the day than night (unlike most cars that are only backlit at night). And that's why I disregard the posts telling people to turn down the dash dimmer at night to "preserve" the pointers, because while during the day, they run even brighter than the brightest night setting (unless you manually spin the wheel past the click up to "day" mode, which is blinding at night). And since most people put more miles in during the day, the turning down the dimmer fix seems to be worthless.
The mystery sensor does look similar to the auto-headlight sensor on my mother's '01, but that has two of them side-by-side, and they're almost black in color. Never considered the keyless entry theory, I always assumed the antenna for that was built into the rear window glass.
As for the outside temp sensor, there is a little cylindrical thing located behind the front bumper next to the passenger-side foglamp. That might be the temp sensor, or it might be the piezo beeper for the lock-unlock beep (it seems to come from that side of the car).

Last edited by squarehat; 06-21-02 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06-21-02, 01:31 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

i heard that front cylindrical thing by the bumper was a speed sensor.
and i went and checked my light sensing theory and that didn't work so i'm wrong about that. turns out eric is king again.
Old 06-21-02, 11:12 PM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

where is that thingy at . is it in teh center or towards the right. My lite sensor is on the left side of the dash. Also, I really don;t think that the temperature gauge is under the car. I know that there is a lot of heat coming from up under the car so I really doubt it's under there. call the peeps at the dealership and they should be able to tell you.......Manaray should know...he knows damn near everything about these cars. When I grow up I wanna be like him. Seriously.
Old 06-21-02, 11:59 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Originally posted by walterwhiteiv
Manaray should know...he knows damn near everything about these cars. When I grow up I wanna be like him. Seriously.
no you don't. the guy is like a bat...he's nocturnal and matches in black (ok matching in black is not bad). j/k manaray!!!
Old 06-22-02, 10:08 AM
j2tha0e
Pole Position

Talking you guys are funny.

anyone else got a car that shows ambiant temp? if you look on thier dash, you'll see that sensor also. i had a maxima. that thingy on the dash is for measuring outside temp.
Old 06-22-02, 10:50 AM
TheBigGuyRy
Driver

nope, cause I have one, and my car doesn't display outside temp. Just inside.
Old 06-22-02, 06:48 PM
blux
Pole Position

:onders what its for:: know one knows??? thats crazy...we need to get manaray in herre

Quick Reply: What is this....