ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Keyless Entry Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-02, 08:02 PM
Botman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keyless Entry Problem

The keyless entry does not work on a recently purchased a ‘94 ES300. Replaced the battery in both keys. The car's security feature is functioning.

The dealer's tech looked at the problem and apparently verified it wasn't a ‘user problem’.

The dealer suggested either:
- repairing the problem (most likely the electronic control module $1100) or
- installing an after-market keyless entry system ($199).

I am really bummed out as they lead me to believe it was just the battery in the keys when I bought it.

Does anyone has experience with this?

Thanks
Old 06-21-02, 08:15 PM
TheBigGuyRy
Driver

This is just my humble oppinion, but I'm not a big advocate of the Lexus Keyless entry system.

As cool and prestigious as it is having the button built into the key, I simply prefer to have a seperate remote entry module, since you can do so much more.

I personally cannot tell with one button (94 still has just one unlock/lock button right?) whether I have locked the doors or not, with no noise confirmation or such to tell me.

A seperate aftermarket keyless entry system can let you pop the trunk, lock/unlock and some even let you roll up/unroll windows...

I know you probably weren't going to spend $1000 versus $100, but just don't think twice about it, you'd be doing the right thing anyway
I'll probably get mine replaced in a few months.
Old 06-24-02, 06:40 AM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah, you did make sure that the reciever in the car was turned on right? go for the aftermarket then.
Old 06-24-02, 08:07 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd just go for an aftermarket security/convenience system as well. I've got a Clifford Arrow 3 on mine, fairly basic security and keyless entry with trunk pop from the remote for $300 installed. I'd recommend the Clifford line, whichever one fits your needs; they are one of if not the most highly regarded companies in the security business.
Old 06-24-02, 08:13 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

My friend has a Clifford on his Explorer, nice system, it can roll the windows up when you hit the lock button, nice remote start, too.
Old 06-25-02, 07:31 AM
TheBigGuyRy
Driver

Is it a viable option to install one of these systems at home, or would you all just reccomend taking it in to a shop? How much would installation be, in that case?
Old 06-25-02, 10:47 AM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

im thinking about using my factory system to do things, there is a guy around here that can make my remote unlock on my key flash headlights, roll up windows, do everything, but without having to buy a new security system
Old 06-25-02, 03:22 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by TheBigGuyRy
Is it a viable option to install one of these systems at home, or would you all just reccomend taking it in to a shop? How much would installation be, in that case?
Even as a DIY'er, I'd recommend letting a pro do it; and a good installer/shop too. A half-a$$ed install can make the security system easier for a thief to defeat. DIY security can be done, and some systems will be simpler than others, but unless you are experienced and know the factory wiring of the car very well, I'd let a pro do it.

As for cost, I think the install on mine cost as much as the hardware, it can often take the better part of a day to do a security system. I had to leave my car from 9 AM to 6 PM and I think he spent most of that time on my car.
Old 06-28-02, 01:54 PM
Botman
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by EGainer
yeah, you did make sure that the reciever in the car was turned on right? go for the aftermarket then.
I am new to the car. How do I check the receiver?
Any other simple checks before going for an aftermarket solution?

Thanks
Old 06-29-02, 08:07 AM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

ok, i was getting ready to tell you how to turn it on, but the ability to turn it on and off didnt come until the 95 model. so, do your locks work from the inside when you try to lock all the doors with the button?
Old 06-29-02, 08:10 AM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

big guy, yes i know what you mean about not knowing if the doors are locked or not, that was one thing i was glad that got changed when i went from my 93 to my 94 model. 93 and below have no audible sound for the locking. but you know that you can go to somewhere and have them wire your horn to honk or lights to flash when you use your key to lock the doors. they can wire it into your factory system
Old 06-29-02, 09:22 AM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

you can go to somewhere and have them wire your horn to honk or lights to flash when you use your key to lock the doors. they can wire it into your factory system
That sounds cool. Is that just a matter of installing a relay or two? Or do you need to install a complete aftermarket security control unit to complement the factory one? I also wish the dome light would go on when you hit the unlock, many cars have that feature.
I guess I could get a quote on this when I go to the stereo/alarm place to have that electrochromic mirror job quoted (whenever the part chooses to show up).
Old 06-29-02, 03:20 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

I don't know what is involved, but I'm sure I can get the dome light to come on with it. Lights Flash, Dome light on/ all interior lights come on. that would be a cool setup, oh yeah, and the trunk to open