ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Amp Location

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-02 | 12:31 PM
1loudlex
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Lightbulb

Just take out the old amp all together. you can put your amp in the back wherever you want it. When you run the wires for it, make sure you put the power wire on one side of the car and the rca', and remote turn on wire on the other side. This will help stop the engine noise if you have any. It couldd also be your groud wire, this does tend to make that noise come through your radio a lot. I am running 3 amps and have had no problems with engine noise. I also have a 9 - Band pre amp eq in the dash under my radio. No problems yet, except I need a new alternator...

Adam " Lexist "
Old 06-26-02 | 12:55 PM
TheBigGuyRy
Driver

I've done lots of research and it seems like no matter what you do Eric there's still gonna be engine noise.
Somebody posted once that you can't use the stock head unit without the stock amplifier or vice versa, or you'll always get that problem.

That's why I'm just getting a new amp to solve the problem.
Old 06-26-02 | 08:21 PM
TheBigGuyRy
Driver

How did ya'll mount your amps in the trunk?
Old 06-27-02 | 06:10 AM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Mine is screwed into my sub box
Old 06-27-02 | 06:11 AM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

joe has no engine noise...
Old 06-27-02 | 07:54 AM
TheBigGuyRy
Driver

I thought Joe had a new amp and head unit.

Hey Joe how did you mount yours in the trunk, did you build a rack or......

i don't have any subs to put in a box to mount the amp on
Old 06-27-02 | 09:39 AM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

oh man, i need a new head unit really really bad. i have my screen installed, which means another FM modulator installed. so much static, what i need is to get that Pioneer touch screen, it has auxillary input. should i go for the touch screen which is 399 or the soundshark or something that is 99 with auxillary??
Old 06-27-02 | 10:29 PM
1loudlex
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Lightbulb

First off, egainer what pioneer touch screen are you talking about. There is no touch screen radio that pioneer makes. You must be thinking kenwood. Second you will not always get engine nose with a new deck. I had my deck in with the factory amp bypassed first and had no problem. Now I have three amps and still do not have a problem. Like I said, you need to ground you connections better. Third, it is not a good idea to mount your amp to your box. All you are doing is asking to buy a new one. You are shaking the hell out of the circut board inside. This will give you all sorts of problems. Just an idea.

Adam " Lexist "
Old 06-28-02 | 07:52 AM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

yeah, you've got a good point on the shaking part. pioneer has a touch screen radio. i touched it with my hands, it's not an lcd. it looks like a regular radio, only there is black plastic all the way across, when you touch the plastic, whatever button your finger is over gets pressed. its a touch screen, just not LCD kind. i tried looking at the pioneer website, but couldn't find it on there, it is in 3 stores around here though. ill keep looking
Old 06-28-02 | 09:06 AM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

maybe panasonic
Old 06-28-02 | 09:16 AM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

ok i found it, it has the ghost(TM) front. panasonic, $399
Attached Thumbnails Amp Location-cdplayer.jpg  
Old 06-28-02 | 04:29 PM
j2tha0e
Pole Position

Originally posted by TheBigGuyRy
I thought Joe had a new amp and head unit.

Hey Joe how did you mount yours in the trunk, did you build a rack or......
i got the stock head unit and amp. my car came with a cd changer and i really don't feel like messing up the look of the center console by putting an aftermarket head unit. i'm happy the stock lexus headunit looks decent.
the key with adding an aftermarket amp to your stock stereo is good quality LLC and wires.

what i did with my two amps (sub and interior) was the velcro trick. go to office max and get a roll of velcro hooks and attach them to the bottom of your amp. they catch onto the carpet and it's all koo.
mounting the amps vertically is the best way to go. i just have to figure out how to do that.
Old 06-28-02 | 10:26 PM
TheBigGuyRy
Driver

Well Eric told me to screw it into the side of the wall vertically in the trunk. He said the screws would hold in the sides. Hope you're right Eric....... I'm busting it all open tommorow

Joe, didn't you say something about the stock wires being pretty good? can't I just incorperate those?
Old 06-29-02 | 08:17 AM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

hold on, let me check something out before you drill, cause drilling is permanant
Old 06-29-02 | 09:52 AM
j2tha0e
Pole Position

the stock speaker wires from the amp are hecka good. you'll see. just use those wires instead of running new ones.

Quick Reply: Amp Location