ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Amp Location

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-02 | 07:47 PM
TheBigGuyRy
Driver

yeah Circuit city and Best Buy did not have the carpet.... either that or they refused to give me any...
Old 07-04-02 | 07:29 AM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

go to an aftermarket sound place that would sell speaker boxes, they should have some scraps they could give you that wouldnt cost anything or very little
Old 07-05-02 | 10:45 PM
1loudlex
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Angry We have Carpet!!!!!!!!

Thats not right because I have been working at best buy, in car audio, for 3 years now and we have bags of carpet in the INSTALL BAY. If you want me to get them for you I can, but you would have to send me a check first. I just bought one last week. And to Egainer, that is a perfect place to ground your amp, just be carefull if you do it again that you don't drill into your gas tank. If you want me to get the carpet let me know. The carpet that most car audio stores sell, at least out here, does NOT match at all, it is to light a grey. Let me know.

Adam " Lexist "

Last edited by 1loudlex; 07-05-02 at 10:46 PM.
Old 07-07-02 | 09:35 PM
TheBigGuyRy
Driver

Can someone who did a self install (joe maybe?) confirm speaker sizes? Do you have to make alterations to the door to fit the 6.5s?

And 6x9's in the back correct?

double checking, I'm gonna order soon.
Old 07-08-02 | 08:51 PM
1loudlex

Lightbulb I did my speakers myself!

Me and my friend who is a proffesional installer put in my speakers. He had to cut off the brackets that were on the factory speakers because the glue was so old, that they would not come off. Then he had to drill some new holes in the plastic for the screws, but overall it was not to bad. Yours might be easier, but mine were kind of a pain. You are correct that 6x9's go in the back. Those were easy to put in. If you have anymore quistions let me know.

Adam " Lexist "
Old 07-09-02 | 08:07 AM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Ok, so I need to reground it to a tower or something, but what about my distorion at high pitch high sound tones... Is that because my speakers can't handle my amp?
Old 07-09-02 | 10:39 AM
1loudlex

Lightbulb

yup!
Old 07-19-02 | 03:44 AM
jewelberry
Driver School Candidate

Default Engine noise gone!

In the process of completing my system install. Had a day off yesterday so got all my stuff together to begin the install myself but realized that bypassing the factory amp and finding a good location in the trunk to mount my two fosgate amps cleanly (without messy wires) looked to be too time consuming for me to do it alone. My solution? Took the car down to the install shop owned by a friend of my father's. It is located in the heart of Compton (for those of you living in L.A. area) and the shop looks pretty trashed, but if you know this area, you know they put out some good system installs.

It turned out that my total installation was a whole day job, plus a few more hours today for final tuning - even for two professionals. This is what they had to do: Complete rewiring which included 4ga power from battery to trunk, to fused distribution block, split to two 8ga power. Ground dist block wiring in trunk, 6ch RCAs from dash to trunk, get rid of factory amp, all new speaker wires (I insisted) to rear deck, door, teeter, top dash, and sub. Custom carpeted wooden deck to mount two amps, one capacitator, one active crossover. Replace rear deck 6x9s, 6 1/2 door mids and tweeters on top w/ x-overs (3 1/2 Infinity Kappas and on-dash monitor I ordered online hasn't come yet).
Used Metra wires for Head unit (although only few wires are actually usuable) and a Best Kit dash kit (2 din model).
How I though I can do this all on my own - I don't know.

Anyways, some important notes for DIY installers: DO NOT use the ground wire connection in the Metra harness- Not good enough ground (will cause engine noise/ head unit heat-up) The installation guy took off the lower carpeted panel in the driver side, in front of the foot rest area, ran ground from one of the big bolts there to the head unit - works very good without noise, even after they ran the power line/rcas/speaker wires all through the same side, I have no engine noise. The guy also told me that alot of the engine noise can be eliminated by hooking up a good pre-amp equalizer in the dash.

I am going down to pick up the car on Saturday so if you guys need any answers to installation problems let me know and I'll take it with me. Will post pics later.
Old 07-19-02 | 08:11 PM
TheBigGuyRy
Driver

Hmm a 2 DIN dash kit eh? Me likes the sound of that.. would be good for a screen... Is it platic or metal? Cause the metra kit feels like it's gonna snap in two everytime I take it out or put it in.

does it look flush? Where did you find it... how much?
Old 10-10-02 | 08:01 PM
fog80
Driver

this is a very good thread but it still didnt answer a lot of questions.

i need to know the best and easiest place to install my four channel amp for the interior and the two channel amp for the subs.

any suggestions?

and what do i have to cut to make my 6.5's fit in the bracket in the door. do i make a horizontal cut and try to drill new holes?

thanks for any help i may recieve.
Old 10-10-02 | 08:36 PM
fog80
Driver

Originally posted by j2tha0e

(1) you don't want to mount an amp under you passanger seat cause it's too small under there. take a look, you'll know what i mean.

(2) easiest way to run wires from under the seat to the trunk is by taking off the carpet trim and laying it there, then under the rear seat and up through the back.

as for erics comment....sorry dood, you can't totally get rid of the stock amp if you're still using the stock head unit. think of it as a single stock radio. both those units, the amp and head unit complete each other. (jerry mcguire)

so if im keeping my stock head unit i cant get rid of the stock amp from underneath the passenger seat? so how do i wire my new aftermarket amp to the head unit?

ive already bought llc's and i was thinking i can just cut all the wires going to the factory amp and add "extensions" and run it to my new amp.

h e l p ...lol